Why become a member? ×

Tinnitus

BillyBass

On 27/09/2021 at 02:32, Dood said:

Just bumping this topic.

At what point is Tinnitus too much? At what point do you decide that it being any louder, more impinging that you no longer risk more damage?

If you know a certain thing exacerbates it and it continues to get worse, is it time to heed the warnings and cease? Even if that very thing is necessary to doing what you do, playing live for example.

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

If you are noticing tinnitus the horse has left the stable. There are many more horses left in the stable. Bolt all the remaining doors now!

• Like 2

On 30/09/2021 at 00:40, Dood said:

Thank you all so much for your responses, I hear you loud and clear, it's certainly making me think about my next move. I've actually been on IEMs alone for live music and ear plugs (or my own private ambient system) for rehearsals, but this hasn't been enough to keep things under control. Even for the last two years I have operated a silent stage save for the acoustic drums.

I genuinely fear the worsening of my Tinnitus and it could signal some very depressing and dramatic changes in my musical life. Even now, the howling is very disruptive.

Bugger.

It is vital to have both IEM fully sealed against other noise. Otherwise the IEM need be louder than hell to compensate.

• Like 1

This is something which people really need to be wary of. My dad had it quite badly, his due to his National Service back in the early 50s. It's one of the reasons I avoid discos / night clubs - the odd time I've been I end up with ringing ears, which is not good. I had some ACS plugs made when I was playing in a big wind band and I was sat in front of 4 percussionists (timps, drum kit plus two others) and 9 trombones...

• Sad 1

Lots of posts to read through thank you!

I want to make it clear that for over 15 years, maybe as much as 20 years I have been using pro moulded ear plugs, such as those made my ACS, Etymotic Research and more recently 64 Audio. Certainly since 2015 time I've been using 64 Audio's IEMs, so I've not been using cheap or crap ear protection and monitoring. I've had regular ear tests and have had a lot of help via audiologists in learning about how our ears work, ear health and tinnitus, so it's certainly not a new subject for me. I think I've given out a fair amount of advice on the subject on this very forum on the subject.  I would say that given that I started with mild tinnitus, I've done all that I can to prevent it getting worse. My monitoring system that I have used has incorporated high quality personal ambient feeds so I don't crank unnecessary signals to feel part of the mix, as well as signal limiting. I've always kept my mix as quiet as possible. 

These solutions haven't worked and thus I only really have one direction to follow at this time.

Right now, my ears are screaming and I've not been near loud music for weeks.

• Sad 2

On 01/10/2021 at 01:04, Downunderwonder said:

Bugger.

It is vital to have both IEM fully sealed against other noise. Otherwise the IEM need be louder than hell to compensate.

Yes that is very true. I even wrote in a bass player magazine column recently not to ever use one IEM in and one out. 

2 hours ago, Dood said:

These solutions haven't worked

Disagree. It would suggest they've protected your hearing well from noise attrition. However there seems to be another cause in play. Could be unlucky genetics, could be past or current medications. Could be the loudness of the signal you are perceiving is objectively mild but is circumventing all of the brain's natural filters.

If the hearing test shows no decline, all that's left is to attack the issue psychologically. Playing music responsibly as you've shown you do won't make it worse, and quitting won't make it better.

• 5 months later...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee There is a 1 hour phone in/discussion program with an 'expert' about Tinnitus tonight on LBC UK. starting at midnight. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Edited by goingdownslow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1