Why become a member? ×

Bergantino 212 cabs – HDN vs CN (in comparison to AE and HD cabs)  

peteb

I am thinking of swapping my two HD112 cabs for a lightweight Berg 212. I was holding out for a HDN212, but I missed out on a couple of CN212 cabs at Bass Direct recently and I am beginning to regret it. I did have an AE212 before, which I really liked, even if I prefer the HDs (but not that much in it really). 

I don't suppose anyone who has owned any of these can tell me how the CN212 compares to the HD or HDN (or even the AE) cabs?? 

I have to say that I am pretty happy with Berg cabs and I am pretty likely to go this route. I’m not going to get a Barefaced cab, as technically impressive as they are (although, never say never – I’m not getting any younger). I might be interested in how something like a Vanderkley (for example) compares though.

Edited by peteb

I replaced 2 AE112's with a CN212. Everyone loved the sound of both but the CN212 got special praise from the bands. My different Berg cabs were all kinds of great, but they all sounded pretty similar to me. I'd be very interested to find out how the latest NXT cabs compare.

• Like 1

Can't give you a comparison of the CN to the other model Berg cabs, Pete. What I can confirm is that the CN212 is IMO an outstanding cab.

I've had the privilege of trying several high-end cabs over recent years notably Vanderkley, Barefaced, Mesa, GR and Fearless (and various mid / lower range brands too) and I would put the CN212 right at the very top of that list, jointly with my Mesa PH212, for sound quality. I spent an hour A/Bing it with my VK210 before deciding on buying the CN212. Both excellent cabs, but I couldn't deny my ears that the Berg edged it!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

The CN212 was the runaway winner in a cab shoot out at the SE Bass Bash a few years back. It was in good company, several other high end makes but it walked through them like the 80s version of Mike Tyson, no mercy l.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a pair of HD112 and swapped them for CN112 many years ago.

The HD112 had a more trad sound. Warmer, slightly scooped compared to the CN112. The CN were more mid pushed.

I really preferred the sound of the HD but the weight saving was considerable.

I wouldn't have either again. HD was too heavy, CN didn't sound how I wanted them to. I've not tried any other Berg cabs. All really well built though.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I had a pair of HD112 and swapped them for CN112 many years ago.

The HD112 had a more trad sound. Warmer, slightly scooped compared to the CN112. The CN were more mid pushed.

I really preferred the sound of the HD but the weight saving was considerable.

That is why I was trying to find a HDN cab, which is supposed to be more like the HD series but without the weight. 

I should add that I've got a HS410, which is superb - possibly the best 410 I've ever heard. I also had an AE212 for a while, which I liked and is what the CN212 is supposed to be an updated version of. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

Just for info....the CN and the HDN cabs were loaded with Faital-pro 12s.....the newest NXT cabs have Celestion 12s.....looking at the general specs of the Celestion drivers i would probs go with the CN/HDN cabs.....No expert, just an observation.

• Like 1

I gigged two AE112 for quite a while before dragging my HT112ER and EX112ER out for a trial before selling those old fashioned heavy ceramic cabs.  The result of that exercise was that I sold the AEs as the HT was worth the extra weight. In fact my current faves are two HD210 cabs. 

Edited by Sparky Mark