Why become a member? ×

Summer of Soul Documentary

Mykesbass

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, casapete said:

Anybody seen this yet? I’m hoping to watch it this week.

Hope you like it. I've watched it three times now. Won't be the last. Would love to see it on an actual big screen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fishfacefour said:

It's great. The footage of sly and the family stone is electric. 

The gospel section is really quite moving. 

I really like the way the film has been put together. The context is so important. 

Can't over-stress how well it's put together and edited. Made much more powerful with the context (the Nina Simone cuts come immediately to mind - there were already a couple clips on YouTube but it means more framed the way the filmmakers did IMO). That said, I hope the film's success is a catalyst to release more of the raw performance footage.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was terrific - both from a musical perspective and from capturing American society at such a fractured and fragile point in time.  And, as someone else pointed out, the sound quality is really good.  I found it enlightening and heartening in equal measure. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I got to see it a couple of nights ago after Mrs HH used her Tesco clubcard vouchers to get Disney+ for a couple of months in an offer.

Loved the footage  - especially Stevie's bass player's Jazz bass.  Not sure if it was actually British Racing Green or an effect of the film, but it looked lovely! 

Was almost matched by Larry Graham's burgundy one with blocked neck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Huge Hands said:

Loved the footage  - especially Stevie's bass player's Jazz bass.  Not sure if it was actually British Racing Green or an effect of the film, but it looked lovely!

Yes, beautiful early '66. Looked like maybe Charcoal Frost to me (or even just black with the reflections - on my screen anyway....) Andrew White is the player.