Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on this 93/94 CIJ Precision?

Plusnine

I haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about any Japanese Fender, especially the ones they were putting out in the 90s. That looks to me to be a PB70, essentially an export model made in Japan as the Vintera equivalent from back then.

I haven't played that particular model, but I do have a PB70US which, as far as I can tell, is pretty much the same bass, but with US pickups and different wood (that body should be alder). That would have originally had Japanese pickups and, from what I've read, their output was fairly weak so it's normally the thing people upgrade. Bonus that that'll already be done for you

It'd be a nice bass, really well made, and the thing that I love about mine is the neck. It's sort of between a J and P with 40mm nut width and fairly slim back to front.

There's a bit more info in the specs etc here....

https://japanfender.wordpress.com/products/about/precision/

I would say about £600 is right for the export model, but the prices do seem to vary. I've seen some go for as low as £400, but then others go for £900, so it's a bit of a mixed bag!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Buy it

ive had a jazz from the same era and it was fabulous even with standard pups 

Keeping an eye on it as it hasn’t got long left on the auction, think I’m going to go for it and stick a tort scratch plate and the ashtray bridge cover etc on it! 

• Like 1

Something isn't quite right - CIJ didnt appear until 1997, it's hard to tell from the photo but this looks like an 'O' so 1997 - 2000.

Still an excellent bass, but this puts a few question marks against the seller. £650 with a US Pickup already fitted seems like a good price to me, but I'm a bit out of touch and used Fender prices have been going up recently.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Something isn't quite right - CIJ didnt appear until 1997, it's hard to tell from the photo but this looks like an 'O' so 1997 - 2000.

Still an excellent bass, but this puts a few question marks against the seller. £650 with a US Pickup already fitted seems like a good price to me, but I'm a bit out of touch and used Fender prices have been going up recently.

Thank you for the insight Pete! That’s why I wanted to ask here really as I know Fender Japan prices have been going up and I just wanted to check if this was worth the money. 

I think the serial numbers from then were a bit all over the place with a few duplications here and there. The pots would narrow it down for you if you wanted to nail it exactly. 

Either way it'd be a fantastic bass. I fall in and out out love with Precisions, but the model I have is the best Precision I've ever played and I wouldn't hesitate to pick this one up if I were looking for a new one. Go for it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I haven't heard anyone say a bad thing about any Japanese Fender, especially the ones they were putting out in the 90s. That looks to me to be a PB70, essentially an export model made in Japan as the Vintera equivalent from back then.

I haven't played that particular model, but I do have a PB70US which, as far as I can tell, is pretty much the same bass, but with US pickups and different wood (that body should be alder). That would have originally had Japanese pickups and, from what I've read, their output was fairly weak so it's normally the thing people upgrade. Bonus that that'll already be done for you

It'd be a nice bass, really well made, and the thing that I love about mine is the neck. It's sort of between a J and P with 40mm nut width and fairly slim back to front.

There's a bit more info in the specs etc here....

https://japanfender.wordpress.com/products/about/precision/

I would say about £600 is right for the export model, but the prices do seem to vary. I've seen some go for as low as £400, but then others go for £900, so it's a bit of a mixed bag!

Thanks for the info on this one Jonesy! 

I was hoping it would be similar to the Pb70US ones due to the neck being slightly slimmer, which was my only fear switching from J to P basses (just prefer the tones!), so knowing it’s likely got that slimmer neck is a major bonus. 

Just now, Jonesy said:

I think the serial numbers from then were a bit all over the place with a few duplications here and there. The pots would narrow it down for you if you wanted to nail it exactly. 

Either way it'd be a fantastic bass. I fall in and out out love with Precisions, but the model I have is the best Precision I've ever played and I wouldn't hesitate to pick this one up if I were looking for a new one. Go for it!

That’s wonderful to hear, think I’ll go ahead and buy it! 

2 minutes ago, Plusnine said:

That’s wonderful to hear, think I’ll go ahead and buy it! 

3 minutes ago, Plusnine said:

Thanks for the info on this one Jonesy! 

I was hoping it would be similar to the Pb70US ones due to the neck being slightly slimmer, which was my only fear switching from J to P basses (just prefer the tones!), so knowing it’s likely got that slimmer neck is a major bonus. 

It looks to have just about the right amount of mojo too, a few scars, but not too beaten up. As long as you're happy with it when you pick it up then I think it's safe to say it's a really nice bass. 

I'm with you on the neck and it's often the fat necks that put me off, but the necks on these are sublime. I really like gloss/finished necks and these aren't too sticky, so perfect for me

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It says in the description that you can try it,  I’ve always done that anyway where possible, you will soon know if it feels right  🙂

Think that’s my best bet really, just a little hesitant to commit money before I’ve played it. But hopefully the seller will be understanding.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonesy said:

It looks to have just about the right amount of mojo too, a few scars, but not too beaten up. As long as you're happy with it when you pick it up then I think it's safe to say it's a really nice bass. 

I'm with you on the neck and it's often the fat necks that put me off, but the necks on these are sublime. I really like gloss/finished necks and these aren't too sticky, so perfect for me

For sure! I’m hoping to stick a red tort pickguard and a chrome pickup cover/ashtray to go for the Motown looks. 

Very glad to hear that about the neck too, that’s sealed the deal for me!

90s Japanese Fenders were always raved about. One was my very first bass (a 50s model, not the 70s reissue and okay, that was '89) and although I mainly have USA basses now, my Precision bass is a MIJ model based on my first bass. Simply put I can't find a USA that is worth the jump in price.

That looks a really good deal. About 15 years ago on the old Bassworld forum (forerunner to Basschat) they were still raved about but now they barely get a mention. The well trodden argument always used to be that they were better than the Mexican ones and often rivalled the USA models. I guess it is all down to personal taste but you get a lot of bass for your money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonesy said:

I'd deffo only pay for it when collecting it too. It'd be a nice bass, but you just get that extra layer of security in case it's not as described or if something doesn't work on it. 

Exactly 👍, I’m sure it will be fine , but it just takes away that element of hassle getting your money back

• Like 1

I had a MIJ "Crafted In Japan" P bass a few years ago. It was a lovely sounding instrument and played beautifully, but it was very heavy. It may be me just being a big wuss, but it was the only bass I've ever sold because of the weight. This particular one might be as light as a daisy, but I think it would be a good idea to pop around to the seller and have a quick twang on it first. 

It does look gorgeous tho...

8 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I had a MIJ "Crafted In Japan" P bass a few years ago. It was a lovely sounding instrument and played beautifully, but it was very heavy. It may be me just being a big wuss, but it was the only bass I've ever sold because of the weight. This particular one might be as light as a daisy, but I think it would be a good idea to pop around to the seller and have a quick twang on it first. 

It does look gorgeous tho...

Assuming the seller was being truthful, it’s apparently somewhere in the range of 7.5lbs, which I’m hoping is correct! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Plusnine said:

Assuming the seller was being truthful, it’s apparently somewhere in the range of 7.5lbs, which I’m hoping is correct! 

Smart - that's way lighter than mine was. 

I hope it works out for you.

• Like 1