Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB 924 vs DB 925 External Preamp

skej21

So after picking up a classic Aguilar DB 924 from Basschat (thanks again @Chimike!) a little over a year ago and then the subsequent release of the DB 925, claiming to offer a similar 2-band external preamp with broadband boosts (bass at around 40hz and treble at 4kHz), I decided to pit them against each other and see how they compare. Might be of interest to some of you if you’re wondering what the DB 925 might have to offer! 

• Like 2

The DB 924 is battery driven carn't remember if its one or two..? to my ears' of the two it sounds richer in tone both are boost only & @ the same freqs 40hz & 4k... &  remember originally in the early days Aguilar made the Preamps for Sadowsky basses.  Excellent comparison test this with quality sounds & info... 👏👏😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, paulo m said:

The DB 924 is battery driven carn't remember if its one or two..? to my ears' of the two it sounds richer in tone both are boost only & @ the same freqs 40hz & 4k... &  remember originally in the early days Aguilar made the Preamps for Sadowsky basses.  Excellent comparison test this with quality sounds & info... 👏👏😉

Yeah I agree. The only dilemma is the DB 924 being 2 x 9v batteries only so hard to use it and be consistent. Thanks for the feedback on the demo too 🙂

8 hours ago, phagor said:

Nothing to add on the DBs, but just wanted to say your videos are awesome @skej21!

Just watched a bunch of them. Great content and editing. Deserving of many likes and subs. 

Oh thanks mate, that’s very kind. I doubt I’ll ever get that many view/likes/subs with a “no talk, just tone” approach but frankly, that’s not why I do it. All I’m trying to do is create a reference library that’s truthful and informative so I can help people who are thinking about parting with their cash!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Fantastic video! I want that P bass, what a tone!!! Very nearly bought the new mini one recently, but the lack of volume control put me off. I wonder if it makes any difference in this comparison?

I bought a Sadowsky SB2 in the end and sounds fantastic, adds weight and clarity (in a subtle way) I'd love to hear a comparison of that and the Aguilar, seeing as they share some DNA 😁

• Like 1