Why become a member? ×

Godin A5 SA fretless

franzbassist

My fretless needs have changed quite a lot in recent months. I need something that can really do a passable double bass sound, but also covers the more "straight ahead" fretless tone you get from a solid body bass. So, after a lot of research and pricing, I ordered in a Godin A5 SA from The Gallery in Camden (thanks Al!) and thought I'd share my thoughts with everyone.

My very first impression was just how substantial the bass actually feels. Unlike a Turner Renaissance, which feels really fragile in comparison, the Godin really feels like something you can gig with. That said, the hollow body means the spruce top is only about 3mm thick, so care is needed.

Speaking of the spruce top, the tele-shaped body is made of three pieces of maple, braced internally like an acoustic instrument. There is white banding to the front edge, further emphasising the acoustic heritage of the bass. The neck is maple, with an unlined (save for little edge markers and side dots) ebony fingerboard; it feels wide and the neck has a pleasingly flat profile to the back. The body is deeper than I expected too, about 2-2.5", so unplugged it's perfect for solo practice. The body also has a very long thumbrest fitted, and I also had Al fit Dunlop straplocks to prevent nasty accidents when playing standing up.

The headstock is a 4 over 1 arrangement. Personally, I'd like to see a 3 over 2 setup with ultralite tuners (the fitted tuners are Godin-badged Gotohs I think), as with the absence of a top horn and a hollow body the bass is neck heavy when played standing up. That said, with a decent strap it's not that noticeable, but it could be an issue for some people. Played sitting down, the bass is just perfect.

So how does it sound? Well, unplugged it sounds very nice. The flatwound Godin strings were very pleasant under the finger and sounded good as well. Not too thuddy and not too bright. They're very fast to play and runs flow effortlessly from your fingers. Playing at the bridge gives a nice staccato sound, whersa the closer to the neck you go there's a really lovely bloom to the notes. I have to say, the range of tones from such a simple bass is amazing, and it's quite possibly the best fretless I've ever played (and I've played quite a few!)

The bass has quite a clever electronics setup. Each string sits on its own metal saddle and the piezo signal is sent to a three band eq, adjusted by sliders on the top horn. The master volume is the top slider, followed by treble, mid (which also has a slider to adjust the frequency - 700Hz or 12kHz) and bass. Underneath that is the secret weapon, the MIDI volume.

Next to the regular 1/4" jack out is a 13 pin MIDI out. The bass is full compatible and designed to be used with Roland guitar synths (it's also compatible with Axon). You can scroll through the patches using the two buttons to the side of the eq sliders, so very easy to change sounds as you play and vary volume between the "acoustic" and MIDI sounds just by adjusting the respective volume sliders. I should say I haven't actualy tried out the MIDI system yet, but I have a GR20 coming this weekend, so hopefully soon I can comment.

As I'm at home today, I plugged the bass into my EA iAmp 500 and CXL112 and cranked it up. What a sound! With everything set flat (on both bass and amp) the bass has a good core tone (well, lots actually as you move your fretting position along the thumbrest), but with a little bit of EQ added on the tone really blossomed. Playing along to some blues I got a most righteous sound, big fat punchy bass, then switching to some jazz a really nice upright tone.

I'm really pleased. It's a good looking, well made and very versatile bass.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

I've played this same instrument. It's really nice, I think Godin basses are highly under-rated for how they sound. Loads of warm growl in there and they're a very smooooooth sounding instrument. Interesting to see they're using RMC piezo pickups in the bridge - generally considered to better designed than the ones I have from Graphtec. Can't help but wish they'd sort that neck heaviness issue out - how about a headless version? :) Failing that, I think a bigger body or a single cut design that moves the neck strap pin forwards might be an alternative.

I've been talking to Mr Shuker about his take on one of these basses as the headstock heaviness is a show stopper for me.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='445930' date='Mar 26 2009, 01:00 PM']I've been talking to Mr Shuker about his take on one of these basses as the headstock heaviness is a show stopper for me.[/quote]

Yeah it was for me too. I had one of their earlier models as my main gigging bass for a year or so and it didn't behave well at all on the strap.

Sounded beautiful though, plugged or unplugged. Got some great recordings out of it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='445937' date='Mar 26 2009, 01:09 PM']Yeah it was for me too. I had one of their earlier models as my main gigging bass for a year or so and it didn't behave well at all on the strap.

Sounded beautiful though, plugged or unplugged. Got some great recordings out of it.[/quote]

Was it you who put the youtube video up with the Godin in? If so that sounded smooooooth!

Guest subaudio

Very sweet bass !

I had a Godin A5 fretless, really regret moving it on but I traded it in on my NS EUB so not all bad.

The fret markers over the top edge are really helpfull too without being obtrusive from the front.

Enjoy mate !

That's really interesting - thanks. I've always liked the idea of the Turner basses, but I hadn't thought of them as fragile. Maybe I'll actually get to play one eventually!

I'd discounted the Godin, but largely on the experiences of a few guitar playing friends who'd all tried earlier versions but moved them on after a short while. Recently I've worked with a guitarist who plays the nylon/classical version and it really does sound good (much better than I remember the others sounding).

Thanks again for the review

(ps what do you think of the 1x12?)

[quote name='BassBod' post='446990' date='Mar 27 2009, 10:40 AM']That's really interesting - thanks. I've always liked the idea of the Turner basses, but I hadn't thought of them as fragile. Maybe I'll actually get to play one eventually!

I'd discounted the Godin, but largely on the experiences of a few guitar playing friends who'd all tried earlier versions but moved them on after a short while. Recently I've worked with a guitarist who plays the nylon/classical version and it really does sound good (much better than I remember the others sounding).

Thanks again for the review

(ps what do you think of the 1x12?)[/quote]

Hi Duncan

The Turner is a beautiful instrument to be sure, and if I hadn't touched the Godin first I'm sure I would have been tempted, but I guess the point I was making is the Godin just feels more robust. It's also more versatile tonally.

The CXL is turning out to be a great cab. Full, clear, very articulate and loud. Combined with the 210 the sound is truly huge.

Cheers

Gareth

Quick update. Tried the bass out at a full rehearsal on Friday night and it was great. Really nice presence in the mix, had the volume and punch of a soliday body but the minute I started playing up the neck it went totally upright in the tone. Everyone in the band thought it sounded great, and combined iwth our keyboardp players new Nord Stage we were enjoying the vibe very much!

And having been tipped off to a Roland GR20 clearout at Andertons (thanks Ed!) I also picked one of these up and gave it a quick try last night. It took a couple of minutes to do the initial setup but I was very quickly playing all sorts of weird and wonderful instruments through the bass. To answer CK's question about the tracking, some of the patches worked perfectly all the way down to open B, but others were rubbish below open A. I think I'll need to spend time playing with the attack to see if this can be sorted, but I'm sure I'll soon suss out which patches are useful and which aren't anyway. I suspect the tracking would be much better with a fretted bass.

So, fantastic piece of kit. Really chuffed. :)

Edited by walbassist

Interesting with the thumb rest. IIRC the original version of this (was it called the Acousticbass then) had this, but it was dropped for the A4/5 models. I assume this is an aftermarket fitment?

I have a fretted A4, and have just taken delivery of the last one of theose clearour GR20s - still waiting for a cable though, as they didn't have stock of them :)

[quote name='walbassist' post='451513' date='Apr 1 2009, 02:19 PM']To answer CK's question about the tracking, some of the patches worked perfectly all the way down to open B, but others were rubbish below open A.[/quote]
Did you download and install the bass compatibility update from the Roland site?

[url="http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=311"]http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support...0&iCncd=311[/url]

[quote name='RichardH' post='451802' date='Apr 1 2009, 06:04 PM']Interesting with the thumb rest. IIRC the original version of this (was it called the Acousticbass then) had this, but it was dropped for the A4/5 models. I assume this is an aftermarket fitment?[/quote]

Nope, it's standard on the new 2009 model, along with a spruce (not cedar) top.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='451896' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:03 PM']Did you download and install the bass compatibility update from the Roland site?

[url="http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=311"]http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support...0&iCncd=311[/url][/quote]

No, as all that info was in the manual I assumed it's preloaded in the unit.

[quote name='walbassist' post='451897' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:09 PM']Nope, it's standard on the new 2009 model, along with a spruce (not cedar) top.[/quote]

Interesting - thumb rest pics not even on the Godin site yet, though they mention the spruce top (think spruce may have come in with the SA stuff, as mine looks to be spruce too).

Makes sense to have a thumb rest, though. May look into having one fitted on mine. Wonder if Godin would supply one....

Here's mine:

[quote name='walbassist' post='451899' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:11 PM']No, as all that info was in the manual I assumed it's preloaded in the unit.[/quote]
If you check the version number that comes up when you start up the unit, it might tell you for sure.

[quote name='RichardH' post='453084' date='Apr 3 2009, 10:53 AM']Interesting - thumb rest pics not even on the Godin site yet, though they mention the spruce top[/quote]

I spotted it in the NAMM report on [url="http://www.godinguitars.com/winternamm09_1.htm"]this[/url] page.

Yours looks lovely.

[quote name='RichardH' post='453165' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:41 AM']Now sporting a set of black Galli Tapewounds

Looking at your avatar, I reckon they'd look very nice with black tuners rather than the shiny chrome 'uns.[/quote]

What are the Gallis like? I really quite like the Godin strings (made by d'Addario I think), but the Galli strings seem to get a good write up.

And yes, the thought had crossed my mind. I need to weigh the tuners to see the difference!

The fretted comes with some fairly coarse roundwounds that came straight off, and initially I put TI Jazz Flats on. Thought I'd try the Gallis, and they feel nice, are higher tension than the TI flats, and have a fatter bottom end, I would say.

Gallis are quite fat strings though - I worried that I'd need to cut the nut but it was OK in the end.

Lovely instrument. But I'm not surprised that headstock causes balance problems, and it's a visual Achilles' heel too. Spoils the look of the instrument for me. A nice little 2+2 would look so much better.
[quote name='RichardH' post='453084' date='Apr 3 2009, 10:53 AM']Here's mine:

[/quote]

[quote name='walbassist' post='451899' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:11 PM']No, as all that info was in the manual I assumed it's preloaded in the unit.[/quote]
Are you talking about the bass compatability of the Roland Gr-20?

It still needs to be set to "bass mode" though. This is done by holding down two buttons when you switch it on... I don't remember which ones though.

[quote name='elros' post='456485' date='Apr 7 2009, 03:12 PM']Are you talking about the bass compatability of the Roland Gr-20?

It still needs to be set to "bass mode" though. This is done by holding down two buttons when you switch it on... I don't remember which ones though.[/quote]

Yep, that's all set correctly. Having played around with the unit some more now I've adjusted the sensitivity and also tried the various "feel" settings, which have improved tracking no end.