Why become a member? ×

Guitar Guitar - Set Up?

spongebob

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Eeek! I've set up loads of guitars and basses. Then I saw him say snug up the neck screws. Picked up my Jaguar SS and the two bridge end screws both took a half-turn. There was a creak as the neck snugged into its pocket 😨

Easily done............also turning the screws are what makes me a tad anxious..........not to overtighten.......

everyone should do this with new instruments, tune them to pitch, now loosen all the neck screws, don't remove them, just loosen them

see if the neck moves toward the body, it may 'snug up' a little more, now tighten the screws

also check the bridge screws, I have had them arrive with loose screws

machine-heads also, but that's easier when you do the first string-change

I actually take the neck ALL the way off of screw-on necks, to look for shims, because the factory will use 'whatever was lying about', if it needs a shim, do it properly or just remove it

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 27/06/2023 at 13:17, KylieNewman said:

Although the thread is a couple of years old, I can share some general insights about Guitar Guitar. While I haven't personally used them recently, it's encouraging to hear that they claim to check and set up the instruments they sell. This attention to detail can ensure that you receive a quality instrument without any flaws.

Been working for GuitarGuitar long? 😆 

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I discovered last week that GAK don't even open the boxes to eyeball the instrument before dispatching them to the customer with parts missing...

I'm sure none of those "box shifter" online places open the boxes and look at whatever's inside... 

shakinghead.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I like to have low action for fast playing and make sure the intonation is spot on. I also experiment with different string gauges to find the right balance of tone and playability. My guitar has 8 strings, and I recently got into 8 string guitar tuning and it's been an interesting journey exploring the extended range. I would recommend all of you to try different setups and to find your best one.

Edited by Rapotamo1987
  • Like 2

On 20/04/2021 at 10:39, BigRedX said:

But surely apart from the intonation and the tuning (which you need to do yourself) everything else in a setup is entirely personal and subjective?

I know that what I would consider a good setup for me would be completely unacceptable to many on here.

This!

Always expect having to do a setup on any new guitar or bass no matter what price class or which store you bought it from in order for it to play optimally for you.

In other words: Do yourself the favor of learning how to do a proper setup, it's not exactly rocket science and there are tons of great guides only one Google or YouTube search away. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

It's a standard practice among trusted retailers to ensure that the guitars they sell are in good playing condition when they reach customers.
However, it's always a good idea to read customer reviews and experiences specific to the store you plan to buy from, as this can give you insights into recent shoppers' experiences.
If you ever need more guidance or information on setting up guitars or exploring the world of guitars further, you can check out this guitar guide at https://guitarsrepublic.com/guide . It might come in handy for your musical journey.

Edited by Benfotek

I never worry too much. By the time it's been rough handled by numerous minimum wage types who arent paid enough to care, and subjected to a dozen rapid temperature changes as it goes from building to vehicle and back, the chances of a bass not needing at least a minor tweak a small, regardless of how well it was set up.

Hell, merely between home and gig It's not uncommon to have to make a minor tweak to intonation or the like.

It's akin to asking the dealer to clean your car after a service before they drive it across a muddy field to your door. The odds of it arriving in the precise state it left them is slim.

Provided the frets are reasonably finished and the neck not bowed, any of us should be able to do a proper set up in 15 or 20 minutes anyway. It's not witchcraft.

Edited by Bassfinger
Usual woeful tpyorigg
  • Like 3