Why become a member? ×

Ray Brown

timloudon

My Double Bass teacher told me to go and watch this set of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8QazNAZjhM&feature=channel"]youtube videos[/url].

I just can't get over how good he is!

I just thought I'd share it, although I imagine a lot of you have already seen this.

Edited by timloudon

He's the man I'd like to be. Every note in its place and a huge tone. This came, so tis said, from having quite a high action and plucking very strongly with a single finger, either first or second sometimes alternating but never together(?) - check out on U Tube. When he played in the Oscar Peterson trio he and Ed Thigpen used to work out some nice patterns to play behind the piano. Try to catch him on Have you met Miss Jones? for some exquisite playing. I'm not sure how James Blanton can be compared. He was certainly a trail blazer and if his life had not been cut short at 24 who knows what he would have become, but Ray's the man.

[quote name='WarPig' post='443984' date='Mar 24 2009, 05:17 PM']My copy of Ray Browns 'bass methods' arrived today, seems a really useful book, covers many scales.[/quote]
I was looking at this is the book, is it just standard notation no bass tab for the less gifted??

[quote name='steviedee' post='444032' date='Mar 24 2009, 05:54 PM']I was looking at this is the book, is it just standard notation no bass tab for the less gifted??[/quote]

All standard notation. Its given me a well needed kick up the bum to learn to read music better.

[quote name='bassace' post='443948' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:40 PM']I'm not sure how James Blanton can be compared. He was certainly a trail blazer and if his life had not been cut short at 24 who knows what he would have become, but Ray's the man.[/quote]
Thats easy. Duke Ellington and Ray Brown recorded This One's For Blanton just before Duke died. This is a duet - just bass and piano. This has many of the same songs that Ellington recorded with Blanton (the original duets) but finding the Blanton versions is not so easy. I have a 3 CD set called Never No Lament that features a few of the Ellington/Blanton songs but it was real hard to get.

I've got the Ray Brown method book too. It's worth it for the terrifying thumb position photos and great tailoring! I find Rufus Reid's book more useful, but Ray's suits are sharper! I get the impression Ray would have been a pretty hard taskmaster as a teacher, but it'd probably pay off...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='bassace' post='443948' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:40 PM']He's the man I'd like to be. Every note in its place and a huge tone. This came, so tis said, from having quite a high action and plucking very strongly with a single finger, either first or second sometimes alternating but never together(?) - check out on U Tube. When he played in the Oscar Peterson trio he and Ed Thigpen used to work out some nice patterns to play behind the piano. Try to catch him on Have you met Miss Jones? for some exquisite playing. I'm not sure how James Blanton can be compared. He was certainly a trail blazer and if his life had not been cut short at 24 who knows what he would have become, but Ray's the man.[/quote]
+1.

The trio, in various guises, also backed Ella Fitzgerald I believe and that stuff is just lovely, swingy goodness

[quote name='TPJ' post='444810' date='Mar 25 2009, 10:38 AM']The trio, in various guises, also backed Ella Fitzgerald I believe and that stuff is just lovely, swingy goodness[/quote]

He was married to Ella for a time.

Incidentally, are you guys into Spotify yet? It's not been mentioned much on BC but is a free resource from which you can play tens of thousands of tracks through your computer. I put Ray into the search and there is a lot of his stuff, even more if you also search for Oscar P and others he played with. On his listings there are quite a few tracks with him leading a big band on cello! I wonder if he had it tuned in fifths (correctly) or fourths. I dimly remember having this LP in my younger days. Get into Spotify. There's a lot of Ray on You Tube as well. You may have gathered that I'm a fan of his!

I got into Ray Brown rather belatedly last year after a tip off from someone on Head-Fi forum. If you like him, it may be worth chacking out Ron Carter, Christian McBride and Paul "Kind of Blue" Chambers. These are the guys that persuaded me into the murky world of the Upright Bass.

• 2 weeks later...

am i missing something or is double bass normally like that? seems to be alot of very bad note and rhythmic choices going on

edit ; ahh watched some more videos changed my mind - definatly a genius ;<

Edited by umph

Have a look at some of the youtubes of Jazz 625 with Oscar Peterson. This was shown recently on BBC 4 and Ray Brown was on for when there.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ObhDNKrTxs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ObhDNKrTxs[/url]

• 1 month later...
Guest subaudio

[quote name='Alun' post='444395' date='Mar 24 2009, 10:39 PM'][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oscar-Peterson-Trio-DVD/dp/B0002VF5B6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237930677&sr=1-4"]THIS[/url] is well worth finding - Ray Brown and Neil Hennig Orsted Pederson at their best :)[/quote]

Yep

I bought this the other week, and havent quite been the same since, NHOP and Ray Brown on the same stage, awesome isn't the word !

Ray Brown is just beautiful to listen to. I think that Christian McBride is kind of a modern version of Brown-all the chops and
with a funk influence aswell.
You should all go and listen to Scott LaFaro too. His work with Bill Evans is awesome.