Why become a member? ×

Raising small cabs to ear height

thisnameistaken

I'm looking for a way to raise my Schroeder 1212 cab up a bit without stacking it on beer crates, which is a bit iffy. Building something is out of the question because I don't have any tools and if I did I wouldn't have any fingers.

I've seen a couple of foldable cab-tilter wedge-type designs which look like a good idea on the face of it but what stops your head from sliding off the top when the cab is tilted back?

Any other suggestions for a portable stand would be appreciated.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='443125' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:18 PM']I've seen a couple of foldable cab-tilter wedge-type designs which look like a good idea on the face of it but what stops your head from sliding off the top when the cab is tilted back?[/quote]

If its a combo then the stand has stand ups at the back that stops it falling off. If you've got a separate head then I guess the easy option is that the head doesn't have to be on top the cab.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='443125' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:18 PM']...I've seen a couple of foldable cab-tilter wedge-type designs which look like a good idea on the face of it but what stops your head from sliding off the top when the cab is tilted back?...[/quote]
You could get two wedges, and put one under the cab, and the other facing the other way under the amp, so the amp would still be horizontal.
Alternatively, you could bend some sheet ally into an 'S' or 'Z' shape so that it curled round the lip at the front of your speaker cab, and had a bit sticking up at the other end to stop your amp sliding off the back.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='443245' date='Mar 23 2009, 10:49 PM']You could get two wedges, and put one under the cab, and the other facing the other way under the amp, so the amp would still be horizontal.[/quote]

My next question would have to be "What stops the top wedge from sliding off?". :)

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='443245' date='Mar 23 2009, 10:49 PM']Alternatively, you could bend some sheet ally into an 'S' or 'Z' shape so that it curled round the lip at the front of your speaker cab, and had a bit sticking up at the other end to stop your amp sliding off the back.[/quote]

Yeah I suppose that's one solution. Sounds a bit ropey though.

How about this?
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-COMBO-AMP-STAND-WITH-GUITAR-STAND_W0QQitemZ250389795794QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL?hash=item250389795794&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1761|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-COMBO-AMP-STA...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

I've got a Giraffe stand, it adjusts (after unbolting the top and fixing it the other way round) so it is horizontal. I used it with my Schroeder 1212r and LMII and it did the job.
You do lose a bit of bass from the lack of floor rumble, obviously this varies depending on the stage, however i like feeling the bass that way. I stopped using it, just have the tilted speaker pointing up at me now. I may use it in the future on bigger stages but it's almost redundant now. Also the tilt mechanism is only secured on one side so all the weight is on that which i don't like too much.
Another thing to be aware of is the height can only be adjusted by removing two bolts and re-fixing the stand so you have to take the cab off to change the height.

Apart from that it's the best one i've found as it's still pretty sturdy.Got it off ebay for £40 delivered but can't see any on there now. It's this one though:
[url="http://www.giraffemusicstands.co.uk/?page=product&group=Guitar%20accessories&id=41"]http://www.giraffemusicstands.co.uk/?page=...ories&id=41[/url]

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='443269' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:25 PM'][url="http://www.giraffemusicstands.co.uk/?page=product&group=Guitar%20accessories&id=41"]http://www.giraffemusicstands.co.uk/?page=...ories&id=41[/url][/quote]

That's exactly the sort of thing I was imagining. A quick Google shows places selling them for about £45. Cheers. :)

They were £30 plus £10 postage when i got them (last autumn). Delberthot has one and he likes it so maybe i'm just too picky!

They do go horizontal after re-attaching the top half. Otherwise it nods forward which doesn't look safe, especially with a grands worth of bass gear sitting on top of it!

[quote name='Finbar' post='443296' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:54 PM']Uhm, if its a Schroeder cab, put it on its side, and then one of the speakers points up towards you.[/quote]

Hahaha.

I have been putting it on its side, but - like a clown - the other side. So the inside 12" is pointing at the floor...

I'll try your way at rehearsal on Sunday!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='443319' date='Mar 24 2009, 12:29 AM']Hahaha.

I have been putting it on its side, but - like a clown - the other side. So the inside 12" is pointing at the floor...

I'll try your way at rehearsal on Sunday![/quote]

That's rather amusing. :)

Hope the 180 works for you!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='443261' date='Mar 23 2009, 11:11 PM']My next question would have to be "What stops the top wedge from sliding off?". :rolleyes:[/quote]

That made me laugh out loud :) I'm guessing you were right about tools and no fingers!

To get a bit of elevation I like to stick my cab on top of the g**tarist's combo. Sounds crap of course but really p*sses him off

Chris

I use a TechSoundsystems Neo 15 on a Quicklock stand:

Its great, as I don't usually feel like I've lost low end, but I have to put my amp one the floor. I've been considering the bent metal plan or perhaps bungee chords with bent hooks as the Tech cab has a curved front!! :)

Let us know your choice!!

Dan

Edited by DanOwens

Something very practical, and used by a lot of big touring artists, mainly on guitar combos as they generally use 8x10s for bass which you don't need to stack, is to get a metal flightcase for your cab. Not only does it protect it during transit, it takes barely any more space in the car/van as its just slightly larger than the cab it contains. Take the cab out of the case, close the case back up, then pop the cab on top of it. Sorted!

Poor picture, but you can see this setup in place all over this stage, i've crewed for Razorlight and they had tons of Cornford guitar amps on top of their cases :)

[quote name='bennifer' post='445154' date='Mar 25 2009, 05:05 PM']Something very practical, and used by a lot of big touring artists, mainly on guitar combos as they generally use 8x10s for bass which you don't need to stack, is to get a metal flightcase for your cab.[/quote]

Yeah I thought about that, but that would make the cab a lot less portable and I don't really need a hard case for it. I've got to drag it up and down two flights of stairs at my end and I think cases would make that a lot less fun.

This is why I no longer have a 4x10.