Why become a member? ×

String Length Issues?

Mutley

Hey Guys,  I decided to put some Flats on the newly finished SBK, Went for GHS Precision Flats 45-105, absolutely love them, not only for the sound but the feel (first set of flats ever) a real revelation.  However, the E string is long, where the A, D and G wind on the binding at the end, the E string has go around the tuning post so is slightly out of line, my worry with this is the fact that it will be sitting tighter to one side of the nut, therefore wear issues? is this normal, is this an issue? or am I just being Paranoid? 😬

Thanks in advance1097217089_ghsflats.thumb.jpg.470da28fed91be0122dd2d9f3c1d85cd.jpg

269948939_ghsflats2.thumb.jpg.37d0d662096ab9f1f337d69b2132543d.jpg

Edited by Mutley

4 hours ago, Mutley said:

Hey Guys,  I decided to put some Flats on the newly finished SBK, Went for GHS Precision Flats 45-105, absolutely love them, not only for the sound but the feel (first set of flats ever) a real revelation.  However, the E string is long, where the A, D and G wind on the binding at the end, the E string has go around the tuning post so is slightly out of line, my worry with this is the fact that it will be sitting tighter to one side of the nut, therefore wear issues? is this normal, is this an issue? or am I just being Paranoid? 😬

Thanks in advance1097217089_ghsflats.thumb.jpg.470da28fed91be0122dd2d9f3c1d85cd.jpg

269948939_ghsflats2.thumb.jpg.37d0d662096ab9f1f337d69b2132543d.jpg

No you won't get any nut wear issues with that. Those string runs are exceptionally straight compared to some basses. 

Ok, thanks guys. just not had that with the Elixirs, NYXL's or the Hi beams so far, will be exploring flats a bit more though,  right up my ally sound wise. Just out of interest, how do the Fender flats rate, seem cheap but that's not always an indication being no good, after all they are fender.

Fenders flats are different to the GHS ones.

There are two types of flats, old skool and hybrid (or modern). Old skool are the classic wooly, thumpy sounding. Hybrid are more modern sounding, i.e brighter sounding, more articulation.

Fender flats have a hybrid flat sound, as with most hybrid flats they are higher tension then the old skool ones. Fender flats are one of the highest tension flats, so keep these things in mind. 😁