Why become a member? ×

New Spector (Korea) models for 2021

cetera

37 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Okay, so I used the Fishmans in anger yesterday and listened to the band recording (I cannot post as it is not on my laptop). When you really dig in there does appear to be an audible limiting effect happening. The pickup design clearly is a bit quirky in the sense that very high amplitude/heavy input seems to overload the signal and the note loses weight due to the limiter. Much like D class power amp designs. Probably never an issue for guitars and 4 string basses, but not so on 5s.

Tone wise great pickups, and admittedly under normal circumstances my touch isn't heavy enough to trigger the limiter, but I have to admit I am a little uneasy on the Fishmans now. 

Clearly just an opinion/obervation from 1 person, but it does seem to be in line with some comments others have made. 

Wonderful.

Next step to lower the pickups?

3 hours ago, bagsieblue said:

Wonderful.

Next step to lower the pickups?

For me irrelevant, I was digging in extra hard for the forum not my normal playing style. For me they sound fine, but I do not like the fact that this limiter is there. I would like to decide, not some electronics if that makes sense.

I will keep using the bass with Fishman’s, but if I find any issues later down the line they are coming out and I am slapping in EMG DCs as I intended before becoming trapped in the hype :) 

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

For me irrelevant, I was digging in extra hard for the forum not my normal playing style. For me they sound fine, but I do not like the fact that this limiter is there. I would like to decide, not some electronics if that makes sense.

I will keep using the bass with Fishman’s, but if I find any issues later down the line they are coming out and I am slapping in EMG DCs as I intended before becoming trapped in the hype :) 

Thanks for taking us on the journey - much appreciated.

Looks like Mr Fret Nation may be correct - not that surprising as he had about 10 guesses first so was going to land on the right area at one point.

Not a fan of undefeatable limiters myself - struggling to think of a overall benefit for it in a pickup as well really, unless its a sort of side effect of what gives the pickup their voicing.  I've for sure found it a pain in the backside on an amp.

It's a quandry - pretty sure that there would be times I'd be digging in hard on the B string at times if I had one of these.......

Edited by bagsieblue

6 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

It's a quandry - pretty sure that there would be times I'd be digging in hard on the B string at times if I had one of these.......

Nail on head, it will happen on occasion. Question is, will it be annoying or not.... not sure.

• 1 month later...

1 month thread revival....anybody got one of these yet?

I see the gent who posted clips and then took them down has made further comments in the other place that he tried all the suggestion (playing softer, lowering pickups)  with no improvement.

I was planning on ordering one but at c£1800 for a Korean Spector, with seemingly unresolved issues, I dont think I will be doing.

4 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

1 month thread revival....anybody got one of these yet?

I see the gent who posted clips and then took them down has made further comments in the other place that he tried all the suggestion (playing softer, lowering pickups)  with no improvement.

I was planning on ordering one but at c£1800 for a Korean Spector, with seemingly unresolved issues, I dont think I will be doing.

Nope, I am not into 5 string basses (and the problem only seems to affect these, not the 4 string model). However, if I were you. I would not take the risk and rather see what Spector does about it. Maybe they will present a new and improved version 2.0 at the next Summer or Winter NAMM (or in between), maybe present some new finishes too. 

7 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Nope, I am not into 5 string basses (and the problem only seems to affect these, not the 4 string model). 

It might do if it was strung B E A D ?!

It's not impossible that I would have changed the pickups and possibly the preamp anyway - but that said, I cant reconcile £1800 for a Korean Spector in my head.

1 minute ago, bagsieblue said:

It might do if it was strung B E A D ?!

It's not impossible that I would have changed the pickups and possibly the preamp anyway - but that said, I cant reconcile £1800 for a Korean Spector in my head.

Yeah, £1800 for a Korean made Spector is a lot but prices seem to go up and up and up across the board.

Ok, sorry, this is off topic but "high" prices reminded me of some great "low" prices that PMT is currently asking for G&L CLR Research basses (£1k for the L1k and £1.1k for the L2K). These are great basses and the prices are really, really low (I paid more for a used L2K recently):

Bass Guitar Sale | Clearance & B-Stock | PMT Online

Have Spector yet commented formally on the problem?  Sounds like a recall job if the pickups are not fit for purpose for lower tuning, if that is what this is, especially given the marketing relating to the 37" B, although its odd its never come up for other basses using these pickups.

On 29/06/2021 at 15:12, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yeah, £1800 for a Korean made Spector is a lot but prices seem to go up and up and up across the board.

Ok, sorry, this is off topic but "high" prices reminded me of some great "low" prices that PMT is currently asking for G&L CLR Research basses (£1k for the L1k and £1.1k for the L2K). These are great basses and the prices are really, really low (I paid more for a used L2K recently):

Bass Guitar Sale | Clearance & B-Stock | PMT Online

Also noticed the L2000 price drop :)

Any Spector dimension owners on here? 

They look awesome 

• 6 months later...

I had just recently heard of these so I tried a dimension in PMT today, and absolutely loved it - sounded great, really solid sounding and very comfortable to play. The electronics seem good and I was rather impressed, possibly more so than other spectors I had tried. The multiscale worked very well, didn't seem as big a neck as the dingwalls, and seemed not too long for a 37".

I think I might be considering getting one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I had just recently heard of these so I tried a dimension in PMT today, and absolutely loved it - sounded great, really solid sounding and very comfortable to play. The electronics seem good and I was rather impressed, possibly more so than other spectors I had tried. The multiscale worked very well, didn't seem as big a neck as the dingwalls, and seemed not too long for a 37".

I think I might be considering getting one. 

Awesome