Why become a member? ×

Neural Quad Cortex demo.. (short bass demo too)

fretmeister

11 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Coming from someone who has no experience with Helix/Fractal/Kemper, this thing is mind blowing.  Just seeing that preset put together from scratch, it seems brilliant.  I imagine it’s not quite as mind blowing for those who are used to these types of units, but the form factor and sleek UI of this seem to be absolute winners, before even taking into account its capture tool, which seems to be indistinguishable from the real thing in the guitar demos I’ve seen.

We just need a bass demo!

9 hours ago, Kev said:

Coming from someone who has no experience with Helix/Fractal/Kemper, this thing is mind blowing.  Just seeing that preset put together from scratch, it seems brilliant.  I imagine it’s not quite as mind blowing for those who are used to these types of units, but the form factor and sleek UI of this seem to be absolute winners, before even taking into account its capture tool, which seems to be indistinguishable from the real thing in the guitar demos I’ve seen.

We just need a bass demo!

The UI is a copy of the Helix. Helix really changed the UI approach for everyone and made it far more accessible to those who don't like menus. It's probably been a significant factor on the sales of the Helix.

To me the sounds of the QC are good, but not enough of an improvement over my Helix to make me spend £1500.

The small size is great though so I might end up getting a used one in a year, especially as for those who already have Neural plugins there will be a free version to load into the QC so the plugins can be used live easily.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

The UI is a copy of the Helix. Helix really changed the UI approach for everyone and made it far more accessible to those who don't like menus. It's probably been a significant factor on the sales of the Helix.

To me the sounds of the QC are good, but not enough of an improvement over my Helix to make me spend £1500.

The small size is great though so I might end up getting a used one in a year, especially as for those who already have Neural plugins there will be a free version to load into the QC so the plugins can be used live easily.

It isn’t so much the block appearance that is helix-esque that’s really nice (it’s common sense really) but just how it all seems to work seemlessley with that touch screen display. All seems really intuitive.

The helix isn’t really a comparison is it? I didn’t think the helix could capture amps/pedals?

Of course the Neural team will have looked at the current crop of top modellers and FX units to see what worked and what didn’t. It was inevitable that we’d see some Helix influence given that Helix is considered by many to have the best UI out there.

The Neural UI has some “Helixish” elements for sure but there are a lot of differences too, due to the fact that Neural had to design a system which was 100% touch friendly. The Helix development team deliberately avoided going the touchscreen route, and so made their UI as user-friendly as possible with good old fashioned knobs and buttons as the primary input method.

Interestingly the prototype Helix had a touch screen but in product testing they binned it. Testers didn't like it apparently.

Helix doesn't do capturing, you're right. But even on the Kemper FB groups and so on the percentage of players using capturing seems quite small compared to the total number of units out there. I suspect many people have their Kemper and maybe 1 or 2 amps but that a lot of people just swap over completely and sell off the real amps. I still have real bass amps because I am not carrying my rack around for jams and big band use. Bur for guitar I'm 100% helix. No guitar amps left at all. Sold them all.

Kemper capturing works very well but when the controls are moved on the captured tone it gets less accurate as they move. So a good tone that is then changed with increased gain won't sound like the real amp with increased gain. Really need to re-capture the higher gain setting on the amp and use 2 different captures like different channels.

That sort of thing seems to be more of a concern to those who demand an exact copy of an old Marshall (even though they all sound different) rather than just dialing in a good tone irrespective of the name on the patch.

The pedal capturing is brand new though - but at the moment I think it is just drive related pedals, but they hope to add the capability for modulations.

Can't see it ever working for filters and synths though - they require the envelope signal of the string attack so any capture wouldn't be reacting the right way. All 3 of the current big boys pretty much suck at filters and synths but maybe the included FX on the QC will have some good ones.

The QC claims to be the most powerful "Floor Modeller" in the world - and that may well be right. But the Fractal Axe FX 3 and the Kemper are not "floor" modellers!

But it's not really important - the sounds are the important bit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Oh dear. My wallet continues to tremble...

Quite enjoyed seeing Lee begrudgingly singing its praises xD

@Dood - would love to see you do a proper bass demo of this!

I've sent the email request already :)

Edited by Dood
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

6F6FF827-095E-4C64-829B-4B6806E356DE.thumb.png.33f8558c21b7f5bedf42e2d696bf1be9.png

Thanks, to be honest, that's a little disappointing - Ampeg B15, SVT, GK RB800, Mesa 400+ are exactly what Line 6 have on the Helix, I was hoping for something different - Darkglass, EBS, Trace, Ashdown, Eden etc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...