Why become a member? ×

Coming to London on Friday

vmaxblues

The Gallery is your best bet.

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/[/url]

Depends if you're looking to buy or not though. If you just fancy a nose around, might be worth checking out Denmark street. Lots of guitars, quite a few basses, all overpriced, but ok to kill some time.

I second the motion that the Gallery is the single best shop to visit. And yeah, Denmark street as well although it's nothing like as good as it used to be.

I wish I could find a definitive list of all the music shops in the country, I'm sure that there must be places within say, a 50 mile radius of me that I could visit, but damned if I can find any!

Yep, The Gallery. Nowhere better for bass in London.

If you're not familiar with Camden, it can be a little tricky to find. Easiest way is to go out of Camden Town tube (if you can take the left-hand exit as you come up the escalator, great, if not, go out the right-hand one and walk around to the other side of the station), cross the road so you're outside the World's End, turn left and head up Camden Road (you'll pass a big Sainsbury's on your left). When you get up to the crossroads where Camden Road BR is, turn right into Royal College St. The Gallery's about 50 yards up on your left. The place always looks closed (the grille's always down), but press the buzzer and they'll let you in. :)

I disagree with the above.

You should go to the little workers café opposite the tube station and load up with doorstop bacon butties and giant mugs of tea first.

[i]Then [/i]go to The Gallery. You'll be in there for the best part of 8 hours so best to load up on carbs, fat and tea first! :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='437551' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:06 PM']I disagree with the above.

You should go to the little workers café opposite the tube station and load up with doorstop bacon butties and giant mugs of tea first.

[i]Then [/i]go to The Gallery. You'll be in there for the best part of 8 hours so best to load up on carbs, fat and tea first! :)[/quote]

For when you come out, the chippy over the road from The Gallery (just up next to the canal path) does great chips. :rolleyes:

[quote name='barneyg42' post='437671' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:54 PM']Sounds like a Bass Bash in the making!! :)[/quote]

Could be! I'll have my Sei with me, going to grab some strings and stuff for it while I'm there, and I can send the missus off to look around Camden Market for a while. :rolleyes:
Anyone else going to be in town Friday afternoon?

Hi All,

Just an update on my London trip.

I found the Bass Gallery in Camden (eventually!) and was very impressed with the stock and the attitude of the guys there, what a refreshing change.

Martin couldn't be more accomodating and made a decent cup of coffee too.

This in my humble opinion is what a quality bass shop is all about, freedom to try any bass, left to mooch and plug in any amp, no pressure and a good atmosphere.

I resisted the temptation this time to buy, but I will keep an eye on their stock on their website and would have no issue with buying from them in the future.

Highly recommended.

Stuart

I did pop in on Friday - no Martin (at the dentist) or Alex, just John. Had a good look around, saw the 9-string behemoth in progress (awesome - love the tailpiece design) and was utterly impressed with the 5-string Dingwall J-type bass that was there and the Sadowsky M5-24. Spoke with John a bit about my thoughts for my next Sei, and he seems to think they're all do-able (mostly to do with an Original-shape Sei with a bolt-on neck).

Also had a jam with some of the guys from my old band while I was there... we've decided to do a "virtual" band thing and write some new stuff and collaborate online. :rolleyes:

Feels wrong being back in the US. Don't want to stay over here much longer if I can help it. :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='437691' date='Mar 17 2009, 07:14 PM']i neglected to visit the gallery when i wnet to london and i regret that, but to be honest tinan alley was a perfectly nice place. Then again i was hurried through by my girlfriend who took an active disinterest in everything :)[/quote]

Get rid.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='446661' date='Mar 26 2009, 10:49 PM']Was that the SuperJazz or the Z2 that impressed you?[/quote]

It was the SuperJazz. Best sounding super-J I've ever played, complete with the full Geddy Lee look (black body, maple neck with blocks, etc). Loved it. :)