Jump to content
ProfJames

Musicman Stingray prices

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Why have these basses gone up in value so much over the last couple of years?  

Really?  I'd say they've been consistently undervalued.  Anything from £700 - £1000 for a bog-standard bass I'd consider 'normal'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, warwickhunt said:

Really?  I'd say they've been consistently undervalued.  Anything from £700 - £1000 for a bog-standard bass I'd consider 'normal'.

 

Ive not seen any for 700 for a long time........cheapest I've seen in a very good condition has been 900ish and they've been snapped up.  Not seen any sold on the forum for under 900 although I have not gone that far back....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure condition is that important when you are talking 'Rays.  The £700 ones were never 'common' and tended to get snapped up.  As soon as you head toward 4 figures, folks start to get twitchy with actually putting hands into pockets.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold a Teal one for 700 about 18 months ago, regretted it and was thinking of replacing it, that's why the interest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet yours sold within 24 hrs?  ;)  

Probs sold yours too cheap and you'll need to be on the ball to get one at that price... on any given day.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, warwickhunt said:

I bet yours sold within 24 hrs?  ;)  

Probs sold yours too cheap and you'll need to be on the ball to get one at that price... on any given day.  

 

You're probably right though it took a week or so!  Got a chance of one at about 950 but no movement on price so thought  would ask on here, appreciate your comments, thank you.  Reality check!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prices have been going up but there are a couple on eBay currently under a grand. 

There was a short scale (30") for sale which I was after - sold for around £450 IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheGreek said:

Prices have been going up but there are a couple on eBay currently under a grand. 

There was a short scale (30") for sale which I was after - sold for around £450 IIRC.

Yes, @TheGreek saw those two at 800ish...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

I sold a Teal one for 700 about 18 months ago, regretted it and was thinking of replacing it, that's why the interest

I have a teal one, I think you let yours go too cheap, mine has been my only bass and has been gigged for many years, still in almost mint condition, don’t think I would ever consider selling it.

 

C65F67CC-0AEA-4EA0-8EE3-2A29763CAA97.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that a few years ago Stingrays were going for ridiculously low prices, for what is a bass that could cover pretty much any pro gig. I remember just missing out on a pretty nice Ray with a few knocks that went for around £570 or so, which was a silly amount. However, the market seems to have recovered a bit and they now seem to be going for comparable prices to similar American Fenders. 

Edited by peteb
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steantval said:

I have a teal one, I think you let yours go too cheap, mine has been my only bass and has been gigged for many years, still in almost mint condition, don’t think I would ever consider selling it.

 

C65F67CC-0AEA-4EA0-8EE3-2A29763CAA97.jpeg

Why would you? That rig you have there would cover literally any gig you are likely to get that doesn't require a 5 string... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Reverb they are even higher across the EU.....including the Bongo, though I haven't played one I have no idea where that fits with the normal Stingray player.  I often see mixed reviews.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stingray Specials are over £2k new - that probably has a bearing on used prices. They tend to have risen as the new prices have risen. 

I have said it before but my 93 fretless was £725 new.

I suspect the low priced used ones are either being sold by people who want a quick sale, have had some modification, or are in poor cosmetic condition. Some finishes are more sought after than others. 

However, whatever, you get a rock solid, well built, quality pro level bass. 

The earlier post about the short scale one was presumably a SBMM rather than a US MM (which are around £2k new). 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, drTStingray said:

The Stingray Specials are over £2k new - that probably has a bearing on used prices. They tend to have risen as the new prices have risen. 

I have said it before but my 93 fretless was £725 new.

I suspect the low priced used ones are either being sold by people who want a quick sale, have had some modification, or are in poor cosmetic condition. Some finishes are more sought after than others. 

However, whatever, you get a rock solid, well built, quality pro level bass. 

The earlier post about the short scale one was presumably a SBMM rather than a US MM (which are around £2k new). 

Looking at a 1995 model, 4H.......... any difference in build quality over specific years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The Stingray Specials are over £2k new - that probably has a bearing on used prices. They tend to have risen as the new prices have risen. 

I have said it before but my 93 fretless was £725 new.

I suspect the low priced used ones are either being sold by people who want a quick sale, have had some modification, or are in poor cosmetic condition. Some finishes are more sought after than others. 

However, whatever, you get a rock solid, well built, quality pro level bass. 

The earlier post about the short scale one was presumably a SBMM rather than a US MM (which are around £2k new). 

About 5 years ago, there seemed to be a glut of s/h Stingrays and there were some real bargains around. The market does seem to have corrected itself a bit, although I know a few guys who are now asking silly prices then wondering why they won't sell. 

I do think that new MM basses are somewhat overpriced. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ProfJames said:

Looking at a 1995 model, 4H.......... any difference in build quality over specific years?

In 95 they were all 4H...! I have been told that early 90s three band Rays (up to 95) are ones to look at, along with early Ernie Ball two band ones. However, my experience is pretty limited as I've only owned early 90s 4 strings and a couple of early 2000s 5 strings. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, peteb said:

In 95 they were all 4H...! I have been told that early 90s three band Rays (up to 95) are ones to look at, along with early Ernie Ball two band ones. However, my experience is pretty limited as I've only owned early 90s 4 strings and a couple of early 2000s 5 strings. 

Great knowledge on this forum for novices like myself, thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, peteb said:

In 95 they were all 4H...! I have been told that early 90s three band Rays (up to 95) are ones to look at, along with early Ernie Ball two band ones. However, my experience is pretty limited as I've only owned early 90s 4 strings and a couple of early 2000s 5 strings. 

They're pretty consistent throughout - one of the areas Ernie Ball sought to improve was consistency and quality of manufacturing.

They have always had a level of hand finishing (eg necks) that put them on a par, manufacturing/ quality wise with say Fender CS team built, or PRS more recently. 

The basses up to about 2000 often have heavily figured necks - as do the 2010-20 Stingray Classics.

In terms of price of the Stingray Special, for anyone who has played/owned them, they have exquisite necks and really are excellent basses. 

The price of new instruments has generally risen over the years - apparently a factor of market conditions and manufacturing costs - even some Mexican Fenders are well over £1000 these days (a decade plus ago that would be unbelievable). 

This site has a lot of info on the gestation of the Stingray over the years/decades. 

http://www.musicmanbass.global/

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These responses make me wonder am I suffering a bad GAS attack?  With two Sandbergs and a Magnum am I really in need of a Stingray?  Or am I just whizzed off with myself at letting one go so cheap??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

These responses make me wonder am I suffering a bad GAS attack?  With two Sandbergs and a Magnum am I really in need of a Stingray?  Or am I just whizzed off with myself at letting one go so cheap??

The thing about Stingrays is that they are pretty unique and you can still sometimes pick them up pretty cheap. I generally gig jazz basses, but I do like having a Stingray as an option. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

Ive not seen any for 700 for a long time........cheapest I've seen in a very good condition has been 900ish and they've been snapped up.  Not seen any sold on the forum for under 900 although I have not gone that far back....

When I was looking for one, about 18 months ago, I couldn't find one for under £1000, of course, as soon as I forked out a grand for one basschat was deluged with Stingrays going for £800 a pop.

That's the way the cookie crumbles :(

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, peteb said:

The thing about Stingrays is that they are pretty unique and you can still sometimes pick them up pretty cheap. I generally gig jazz basses, but I do like having a Stingray as an option. 

That's not helped at all sir!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gjones said:

When I was looking for one, about 18 months ago, I couldn't find one for under £1000, of course, as soon as I forked out a grand for one basschat was deluged with Stingrays going for £800 a pop.

That's the way the cookie crumbles :(

 

I know the feeling too well...........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

That's not helped at all sir!!!

Apparently, a lot of pro bass players in the Chicago area used to take both Stingrays and Jazz basses to gigs around town. This led to Lakland going into business producing the 4-94, which was meant to be able to do the jobs of both in one bass.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Similar Content

    • By govons
      no more selling
    • By EdLib-3
      Hi all,
      For sale is my excellent 3 band EQ Music Man Stingray HS bass with great sounding MM humbucker but also a single coil jazz pickup and 5 way selector switch. This set up gives the player lots of great versatile tones and also the opportunity to blend the tone of the MM humbucker with the jazz single coil- which sounds beefy! I bought this new in 2008, as it has been well maintained and looked after during that time it is in very good condition. This bass is awesome and a rock-solid performer so I will be sorry to sell it but needs must, as they say.
      A recent browse through the Ernie Ball Music Man website indicates that the HS Stingrays don't seems to be being made any longer so also a rare instrument. The photos don't do the beautiful ash body justice and everything else about the bass lives up to the level of build quality and performance that you would expect from a Stingray bass. Also included is a Music Man hard case which due to the fact that I have used a gig bag, has never been properly used so is in as-new condition.
       
      I am based in Brighton and would very strongly prefer the buyer to try out the bass in person and collect but I could be open to a meet up within the South East within a reasonable distance.
       
      Sorry no trades please as I need the money and space in my flat. Christmas will soon be here so treat yourself!!
      Here's my feedback thread:
       
      https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/306417-feedback-for-edlib-3/
       






×
×
  • Create New...