Why become a member? ×

Exotic Woods

Lew-Bass

[quote name='ARGH' post='437359' date='Mar 17 2009, 02:59 PM']I was being a git :)

I wonder what the equation of a Bass note being created is...[/quote]
:rolleyes: I'm sure it's out there but equations bring me out in hives. Claber will probably know. I'll go and get a bottle of camomile lotion just in case.

[quote name='ARGH' post='437369' date='Mar 17 2009, 03:09 PM']Look Alex...this is,like most things,going nowhere...just agree that Im right,you're wrong and all is good,yes?[/quote]

Indeed, I am right.

The instrument has far greater mass than the string so the amplitude of the body/neck vibrations need only be a tiny fraction of the string movement to still contain similar energy levels. Unless the fret and the bridge have infinite mass then the body and neck wood will absorb and re-emit energy through the witness points to and from the string. If you want a bass where the wood has little effect then get a graphite thru-neck Status or Alembic. Or stick a 2-tek bridge on anything, that bridge has so much mass that the body is far less involved in the system than usual.

Alex

but what about the equation? :)

[url="http://web.njit.edu/~gary/430/assets/physics430_lecture13.ppt"]http://web.njit.edu/~gary/430/assets/physi...0_lecture13.ppt[/url]

I refer the honourable member to slide 7 in the presentation? (Before I run screaming out of the room with my skin on fire).

Well its a little late but thanks to Hamster, we've recovered the thread discussing string anchoring. (FWIW)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21840&st=0&p=221592&#entry221592"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry221592[/url]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='437663' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:49 PM']I am not very happy with the sound of my new baby and its going back to daddy for a jolly good shake up. I'll be gutted if its the wood :)[/quote]

Thats what happens when you stray from the paint jobs... Don't worry, it'll be all good when Biggus Dickus get's his hands on it.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='436991' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:38 AM']Just to clarify, do you mean differences between ash and alder? Or do you mean that ash and alder sound different to other woods?

I A/B'd two stingrays with different anchoring and they sounded the same to me. I've also made one post where I described at length my experiences of the two systems but someone's deleted the thread from what I can see and not put it on wiki. I really can't be arsed typing it all out again apart from saying the string vibrates between two points - the nut and the saddle. What happens either side of that is largely irrelevant. All IMO of course.

Also on the subject of wood and 'growl' there's this too.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=32715&view=findpost&p=339845"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=339845[/url][/quote]

I once had a Washburn bass that had optional through-body stringing. Sounded different to me and in those days I knew nothing about anything; didn't know whether it was supposed to sound different or not.

[quote name='ARGH' post='437008' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:53 AM']A player sounds like the player they are,be it on a J or a Ricky or a Warwick or a P.....A is A regardless of how its produced.[/quote]

You obviously haven't heard me play different basses (particularly Js). :)

Well for me it's neither here nor there, I reckon you are what you are when you play......Alder, Ash or Walnut with a dash of pine, maybe there is something in it but there's no way I could tell by just listening to a player...I wouldn't know unless I saw it.

[quote name='thebeat' post='437865' date='Mar 17 2009, 10:28 PM']I'm of the opinion that wood type does influence the tone of a bass...but only cats and bats can hear the difference...i'd say the same about 'high mass' bridges..[/quote]
Having just replaced the high mass Schaller 2000 with a lightweight Hipshot A on my fretless and saved about 1/2 lb in weight I an inclined to agree. Still got MWAH in spades and still sings. I was thinking about through body stringing as well but I'm not so sure now.

[quote name='Rich' post='436088' date='Mar 16 2009, 09:57 AM']I'm a big fan of figured woods... like the burr maple facings on my Shuke... and there's something about the look of a nice deep quilted maple under a coloured lacquer that is soooo lovely. Especially when the light hits it and it goes almost 3D.[/quote]

Oftentimes, you're at the mercy of whatever pickups you have on your bass. Certain pickups will make a bass sound the same regardless of the type of wood. Others, however, are much more sensitive and truly bring out the bass' natural sound.

Jon Liebman
www.JonLiebman.com

[quote name='Jon Liebman' post='438382' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:59 PM']Oftentimes, you're at the mercy of whatever pickups you have on your bass. Certain pickups will make a bass sound the same regardless of the type of wood. Others, however, are much more sensitive and truly bring out the bass' natural sound.

Jon Liebman
www.JonLiebman.com[/quote]

I think so... I remember my two MIDI basses. They sounded so similar it was scary.