Why become a member? ×

Amp or Head for Home Practise?

Emmol

Hi guys! yesterday I have been in a shop for trying some combinations and I need your opinion.

I play bass at home, Fender Jazz AMerican Standard, sometimes doing some recordings for friends, but not gigs at moment. Who knows if in the future, but it is not my plane.

In the last years, I have been playing my bass directly throught my Mixer and then in a Speaker. I was happy honestly: sound clear and warm. Now, my speaker has died and I decided to upload to a proper ampli.

My main necessity is : space. No more that 40cm x 30 x 30.

I have tryied some Fender Rumbler, 15 and 25 and I did not like them at all. I tryied a gallien krueger MB 150 but too expensive even though the sound was great and little as I wanted.

I tryed a Markbass CMP101 and It was great. Much better then the 801 or 802. I saw the price and I realized that it is almost the same price of buying an head and a cabinet.

Now my question for you is : is it better spending 400£ in a 60W ampli ( the CMP 101) or spending around £450 and buying a Little Mark 250 plus ashdown 10 inches cabinet? ( the only that the space allows me)

I feel confused, because almost at the same price I could have 150 W ( 8ohm), but I am scared that I may have to much sound at my home. Waht do you think?

Thank you so much in advance for all your opinion and suggestions, I am opened to any good idea.

I have two practise set ups at home.  In one room I have a Fender Rumble 15, which I almost always use with headphones, and often the aux in comes in handy too.  It doesn't sound great but its a practise set up, it's good enough for that.

In another room I have a one10 cabinet and a small head, in my case its the Trace Elliot Elf and the Barefaced one10.  This sounds much better and both bits could be used for gigging, should that be necessary.  This rig isn't too loud at all and with all the EQ flat, it doesn't get boomy in the room its in.

Both set ups work well for their intended purposes.  The Fender Rumble has a headphone out and Aux in, which are important for practising.  The Trace Elliot Elf has the headphone out but no Aux in.  I have to use the aux in on a pre amp pedal for this function if I need it.

The Markbass and Ashdown would be a great little rig but the Markbass has neither headphone out nor aux in, so bear that in mind.  A different small head with both these features may be more suitable for a mini practise rig.

I would always go for a separate head and cab because the separate parts could be swapped out for something else if necessary, like keeping the head but using a second or larger cabinet for a live performance.  And if your amp dies, you just need to change the head, not the whole thing.

Edited by BillyBass

Markbass  CMD 101 [Marcus Miller Signature] has Headphone out and Aux in that may be useful. Can add another cab for small or lower volume gig's.

LM 250 With Ashdown 10" will give you small/medium club gig ability by adding another cab. As long as you like the Cab sound as compared to MB.

Thank you guys for all your opinion.

At the end , today I have bought the MarkBass 250 and the ashdown cab. 

Nothing to say, it sounds great.

Only problem, is that I have connect the mixer to the Markbass and send all the soundtracks, or metronome, or loop station to the cab...but as I do not have twetter, it sound dark...

There is something you could suggest? as an external twitter ?

thjank you

Edited by Emmol

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Practise???? Try practice!! I expected poor spelling from Americans but on a UK site?  LOL

Keep. yourselves safe guys! 

It's a word I always struggled with. Until I was passed this handy little tip. 

Think of advice / advise. You never muddle them up. Same rules apply to practice / practise. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2020 at 20:32, BassmanPaul said:

Practise???? Try practice!! I expected poor spelling from Americans but on a UK site?  LOL

Keep. yourselves safe guys! 

Oh man!!! I am Italian!!! and I struggle a lot with this word... In italian is PRATICA, and it would be easier saying practice then...but I always write practise. So sorry.

BTW, i sent the Ashdown back and i took a Traveller 102P . Much clear sound, with a twitter. littel difference of price but I think I did the best thing.

Thank you all of you for the suggestions!!!!

• Like 2

On 22/12/2020 at 06:33, Emmol said:

Oh man!!! I am Italian!!! and I struggle a lot with this word... In italian is PRATICA, and it would be easier saying practice then...but I always write practise. So sorry.

You're forgiven then!! LOL

Have a wonderful holiday season and a very happy new year! With a bit of luck 2021 will be a better year the world over!!! :)