Why become a member? ×

Fret Sticker... how do you feel about them?

binky_bass

I said I'd never use such things... BUT having had my custom ACG for nearly a year now, I do miss fret markers. Especially when playing on a neutral neck and playing a lot of chordal pieces towards the bottom end of the neck. 

I recently invested in some faux abalone fret markers made from some kind of 0.07mm thick wizard material. They look OK, they feel OK, they do absolutely serve the purpose of seeing where I'm at, but I'm still not convinced. Being a hard core stickler for originality, in pains me that these are on the bass, but they are definitely useful!

Naturally I've applied them in the same position Alan tends to place his luminlay, just to make it feel slightly more like they've always been there!

20200916_163356.thumb.jpg.f4bdb67c72a030985099f3a02a1161bb.jpg

20200916_163415.thumb.jpg.71a9a7b1555720ffc3e8b0ac226d2a1f.jpg

I have no problem with such things, if they serve a purpose, and look good as well, then what's not to like? I think yours look good. 

I'm sad enough to have put the pearl block stickers on one of my basses, but I like them and they're only stickers. They've been there long enough to have started wearing where my fingers touch. 

qIn5vVm.jpg

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

I am not bothered about front fret markers as I don't look a the fretboard when I am playing (need side ones though!) and when I did specify my maruschyk I didn't have any, so its not something I would do, but its your bass, so the only person whos opinion matters is you. That said, they don't look like they have been tacked on afterwards or out of place, so that seems fine

I had a Sandberg TT5 with a 'plain' maple board and playing it live I missed the markers as we put up an intense show and the small dots on the bass edge of the board were not enough visibility-wise. So I have applied pearloid block 'inlays' and was happy with them as they were useful but always had this feeling of them being out of place being stickers. So yes Russ, I understand you. 

• Like 2