Why become a member? ×

My weapons of choice

Linus27

Here are my three main basses. A 2005 Musicman Stingray 3EQ in Natural, my 2007 Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn in Candy Apple Red with black pickguard and my 2008 Fender Jazz 1975 Classic re-issue in Tobacco Sunburst. Three very different sounding and playing basses.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='josh3184' post='435329' date='Mar 15 2009, 05:29 PM']pick a favorite! Come on man! Damn you fence sitters![/quote]

Oh bugger, thats a hard one. I have always loved the feel and look of the Musicman. The neck is awsome and the balance, shape and styling is amazing so I love playing it. The sound though is dissapointing as discussed in my other thread. Nothing wrong with it but I just can't get the sound I want out of her. The Lakland sounds incredible. A big fat clunky dirty 70's Precision sound. The neck feels great, very much like the Musicman but thinner. The balance is good but its more of a one trick pony. A great Precision bass. The Fender Jazz has a nice thin C shaped neck. Its so easy to play and you can really get stuck in playing it. The sound is also brilliant, very smooth and warm although it can be a little wooly at times. Each bass is so different and have different qualities. I can't pick a favourite but what I will say is the Fender Jazz is one I would probably pick to play. It can do a bit of what the two other basses can do so all possibilities are covered. I know, a bit of a lame answer.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='435581' date='Mar 15 2009, 09:59 PM']If the Jazz wasn't sunburst I'd be breaking out the burglar tools :D[/quote]

hahaha you might get passed me and you might, if lucky, get past my wife, and your might get past my son if he's distracted on the Xbox, but your not get past my 4 month old baby daughter. She's evil and loves watching her daddy playing bass :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Musicman20' post='435594' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:09 PM']Your Stingray is the same as mine! I think mine is about 3 years older....but basically exactly the same!

I'll put pics up soon!

x[/quote]

Coool. I'm thinking of trying a white pealoid pickguard on it to make it look a bit different. probably look rubbish :)

Very nice bunch of basses. All very distinctive tonally I guess. Very traditional. Very stunning for being so.

I'd have to say that one of the plus's of my Harlot particularly is it's multi trick pony aspect. Other than that it's beautiful (in my eyes) and made to measure.

I know that traditionally basses like P's, J's and Rays have their 'sound' but I wonder if it isn't time we moved onto something that can do it all (see my sig :) ).

Of course playing the Harlot in a blues band might not look right :rolleyes:

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Very nice! Love the red Lakland, and you can't beat the look of a natural ray (although see my contribution to your other thread - like you, I struggle with the sound!).

How does the Lakland compare soundwise to a normal Precision?

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='435631' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:40 PM']Hey Linus, is your jazz the Japanese reissue or the new Mex 70's model?

Loving the colour of your Duck Dunn, btw - Stunning![/quote]

It's the 70' Mexican re-issue and sounds stunning. Don't let the Mexican make put you off. I am in two minds to change the pickups. Fender sell the 75 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups that they put in their American Vintage ‘75 Jazz Bass. My Mexican re-issue has Vintage Style Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups with AlNiCo Magnets. They sound fantastic but I am just wondering what the 75 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups would sound like. It would make it a bit more authentic but as it is, it already sounds amazing so I am not sure to change them or not.

[quote name='simon1964' post='435634' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:46 PM']Very nice! Love the red Lakland, and you can't beat the look of a natural ray (although see my contribution to your other thread - like you, I struggle with the sound!).

How does the Lakland compare soundwise to a normal Precision?[/quote]

I have only ever owned one proper American 77 Precision which was my best sounding bass ever. The Lakland sounds pretty much identical. Maybe a bit dirtier but pretty much the exact same tone so I am very happy.

As for the ray, I am considering trying that Nordstrum pickup that keeps getting mentioned in the thread.

i think that you have completed a wide range of bass sound from humbacker to jazz and precision excellent choice mate...

i wish you dont start playing 5ers is a mess you have to choose more..

By the way i might know why you dont get that sound out of musicman.. go and try a stingray 5 put the switch on top position to the neck side add a bit of bass and you see what i mean perfect sound through the mix i think you need to trade now they are 4sr with that switch or get an HH model that is better..