Why become a member? ×

Blackstar Entering the D-class game

jimmy23cricket

19 hours ago, Stofferson said:

image.png.62418397350fc9615b6a667aa18de7d6.pngfrom the manual dude

250 watts at 8 ohms is no good for me asI was considering it to use with my 8 ohm Barefaced Big Baby 2. The 400 watts of the Mesa 800+ easily trumps it. 

Edited by Tim1
Extra info

6 hours ago, Tim1 said:

Hey Stofferson, thanks for that power rating data from the manual. Like some of the others my computer would not let me download the manual.  

No worries mate, weird the issues you guys had, I'm on chrome in a Mac and just got in fine.

11 hours ago, stevie said:

I'm not sure this actually is a small form factor amp - it's 380mm wide. The Peavey Minimax is only 280mm wide and it has two Speakons. The old Ashdown Little Giants were only 200mm wide and they had two Speakons.

I'd consider this a minor niggle rather than a deal-breaker. It's certainly good to see another British company active in the market. The more competition the better for us all.

You're probably quite right -when the Reidmar was in planning I said to the the guys at EBS 32.5cm wide is not really on small side. Im guessing Blackstar had some design decisions to make about minimising the number of the PCBS in there (no multi-tiering) - there's quite a few pots in there to find space for (and leave space for you to be able to turn the buttons).

Yeah, not sure how much of a niggle it is - I guess it's down to what cabs you want to use it for. But as you say, it's good to see another amp in the mix.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Russ said:

Just need Marshall to put something out now. I know they have Eden for all their bass stuff these days, but I would pay through the nose for the old DBS preamp section coupled with a big-powered Class D amp. 

Have Marshall ever really nailed the bass market though? Ive never really associated Marshall with bass - the would have to come up with something pretty cool I think to drive people away from the usual offerings.

For those interested -

Speakon options -

https://www.terralec.co.uk/speaker_leads_/speakon_splitter_cable/33972_p.html

Or something like this would give you the option to link 3 cabs (could easily find a 2er or make one yourself if concerned about size) -

51UiIoyNrgL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Yes, I know it's all extra stuff to carry about... and nobody likes non standard cables etc (case for the first link)

EDIT:

Heres a 2er -

Sescom SpeakON Parallel Splitter Audio Box NL4 to Two NL4 with 1' Tail & Female 4-Pole Cable Connector

... but you wouldn't pay those kinda prices (of this one above at least). Just make your own.

Edited by EBS_freak

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Have Marshall ever really nailed the bass market though? Ive never really associated Marshall with bass - the would have to come up with something pretty cool I think to drive people away from the usual offerings.

Their DBS amps were great (no experience of the DBS cabs), and the VB range were also pretty impressive. Problem was their quality bass gear was heavy as anything, great sounds though, I loved my DBS4000/VBC412 rig, whilst I could manage to cart it about.

Riffling through my almost forgotten memories, the only thing I can seem to remember was an advert for Marshall bass rigs fronted by John Currie (also seem to recall him holding a Sei bass in the ad).

Didn't know who he was at the time. Still don't know who he is. Googled him. Still non the wiser although he seems to endorse East preamps.

So yeah.

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

The VBA 400 was a cracking amp. Back and shoulder cracking as well. 

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

As usual there no mention of the size of the cable, probably 1.5-sq.mm which is a bit marginal for bass.  I used to get 2 x 2.5-sq.mm. cables into a 4-pole Speakon but was a bit of a challenge.

2 minutes ago, obbm said:

As usual there no mention of the size of the cable, probably 1.5-sq.mm which is a bit marginal for bass.  I used to get 2 x 2.5-sq.mm. cables into a 4-pole Speakon but was a bit of a challenge.

Absolutely - I'd be making use of some 2.5 (mains) cable internally. Nothing like a bit of reassuring thick cable.

8 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

The DBS range was very well regarded, despite being huge and heavy. I think Chris from Muse still uses his DBS rig. The MB stuff they put out later was decent but apparently quite unreliable. And, of course, the VBS and Lemmy stuff was great, but incredibly expensive and very niche.

I guess the problem was that bass stuff was always secondary for them. In some ways it's better that they have the Eden marque to use for bass gear, although a 'Marshall Edition' amp, with distortion, etc, like the Blackstar one, would be very cool. 

8 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Riffling through my almost forgotten memories, the only thing I can seem to remember was an advert for Marshall bass rigs fronted by John Currie (also seem to recall him holding a Sei bass in the ad).

Didn't know who he was at the time. Still don't know who he is. Googled him. Still non the wiser although he seems to endorse East preamps.

So yeah.

Didn't he used to write for Bassist magazine back in the day?

I vaguely recall meeting him at The Gallery at one point. Not unpleasant, but not the friendliest of chaps.