Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

I owned a SRX2 for years, & a SRX700 for a weekend. I really wanted to love the SRX700 for the Ash body & neck-through design, but I couldn't work out if it was the Ash body, the neck-through design, or the AlNiCo magnets that made it sound subdued in comparison to the SRX2 & my BTB300 with the same pickups. You see, the SRX2 has Ceramic magnets, & yes it does make a difference.

It was probably a combination of all those things, because I've since come to understand that Ash will scoop the sound a little, I like MIDs, & the neck-through design softens the attack somehow.

My SRX2 had loads of bottom, which is why I no longer own it. I really wanted to install a series/parallel switch for each pickup, but they only have two conductors available to the consumer.

5459933-06b723c1dc144b617a4142b1dceb0e0b

srx700-jpg.1164553

the 700 was also a full POUND heavier than the SRX2

but the BTB300 was nearly 10 lbs.:

23 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

too "shouty" and seemed to lack a full sounding bottom-end without turning it up until it sounded bloated. 

Carol Kaye still uses one with flats, a pick, & a foam mute:

hqdefault-jpg.2610479

A lot of pros would tell you that you can make an aggressive-sounding bass sound mellow, but you can't make a mellow one sound aggressive.

Stingray pickups are wired in Parallel.

The PFR (Passive Full-Range) pickups in the SRX are wired in series, so you can why a series/parallel option would be sweet.

It bums me out that Ibanez doesn't do parallel/series options instead of just dropping a preamp into almost everything.

14 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Most of them are, but IME there's more risk of getting a dud with the Standard series than a Premium, & they've been putting chintzy machine-heads on the Standard Soundgears since 2012.

I wish that one of us had told you about the difference in size of the Nordstrand vs. Bartolinis so you could have ordered custom-sized ones, it's only a $20 USD upcharge, IIRC.

Change the strings on the bass immediately. Those Nordstrands should sound FAR better than the Bartolinis, unless you don't enjoy the high-end zing the Big-Singles have.

They're also more responsive & have something I can't even describe other than Grunt, but Nordstrand calls it Character.

Grunt is exactly what I want :)

ordering new strings today

Sometimes my odd tendencies pay off. I'm always on the lookout for deals on strings & I will buy them up.

Right now I have a box of about 5 sets, DR & EB.

Now that I'm primarily using the EHB there's no excuse for not changing stings more often, as it's dead easy!

(just looked in the box & there's also 1 D'Addario balanced-tension set)

pronounced duh-dairy-oh

Edited by Killed_by_Death
D'Addario

9 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Sometimes my odd tendencies pay off. I'm always on the lookout for deals on strings & I will buy them up.

Right now I have a box of about 5 sets, DR & EB.

Now that I'm primarily using the EHB there's no excuse for not changing stings more often, as it's dead easy!

(just looked in the box & there's also 1 D'Addario balanced-tension set)

pronounced duh-dairy-oh

Moooooooo

In all seriousness though, anyone remember the BTB Volo couple of years back? 

33 inch scale 5 string.

Edited by horrorshowbass

Same here, I have quite a few, but also quite a few basses and haven't been gigging this year. I have some coated strings that I wanted to put on my shuker and couldn't, so not sure where they are going.

pronounced duh-dairy-oh

I pronounce them duh-darry-oh!

2 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

The local rep. told me they had specific instructions about the pronunciation at their training with D'Addario/Planet Waves.

Not surprised. The could have just called themselves something simpler :D

If you call their number, you can hear the way they pronounce it.

Almost everyone pronounces RickenBACKer incorrectly, as well.

Well, that is how I would say it - obviously not using the original german Rickenbacher!

Ibáñez has drifted the farthest, the original pronunciation was I-Bahn-Yez.

Not Ai for "i", but I as in stIck

Yes, the original spanish. Not that i use 'eye' for the start of it, that sounds like an americanism to me. Mine is ib-a-nez

This afternoon I fixed my TLB35. When removing the plastic from the pickguard when I got it, the knobs were stiff on the controls. Pulling them off broke one of the pots (it actually went in and out when you pressed it). So looking inside I saw how cheap they were (I suppose ok on such a cheap bass, although Ibanez aren't great on the more expensive ones either).

Also noticed they were linear, so I got some log alpha pots, for £4 for 2.

I swear it sounds better now although I can't think of any mechanism why that would be the case. however, they are much more useable as volume controls now!

IMG_2030.thumb.jpeg.466e0601539ed40f9b8ea14b089b6a84.jpeg

Original knob, pulling the knob out had pulled the shaft away from the rotator in the pot!

IMG_2032.thumb.jpeg.839b8548b495c4a3c23a35d518d56a8e.jpeg

With the replacement.

I must have ordered pots THREE times & each time none of them would fit, so I ended up buying the bespoke pots from the local Ibanez dealer, $25 USD for 2, most of which was the FedEx charges.

NOT related to the GSR100EX mentioned above

Edited by Killed_by_Death
correction for clarity

50 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

Have decided to bite the bullet and get a 5er later this year, am currently drooling over the SR5005 unless someone tells me to get a grip and that they're cr@p and as I'm currently only a bedroom bassist I really don't need one.

The 5005? Yeh they are.. oh, actually very good :)

Well, unless you have back issues, they are not exactly light weight!

• Haha 1