Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

43 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Hmmmmm....

What's next?

Seems like an EDC700 or better still, a 705 is in order to complete the Ergodyne set. The EDA's performance is tempting me to try and obtain another and have it de-fretted or have a new 'board made. I note with interest that the Afirma has a separate (stacked) Bass and Treble pot for the Magnetic Pickup. Perhaps that's a sensible alteration... But I think the piezo bass bass control should stay on the back.  It's safer there!

For me its gonna be SR5000 if one pops up at decent price 

• Like 1

Been trying to get my ahead around the Ibby pre-amp centre frequencies and looking at the manual they provide this.

The mid centre freq curves follow the stated centre EQ frequencies as suggested.

The treble curve seems to peak at around 8.5kHz and reasonable to treat that as the treble centre EQ

The bass EQ seems a little harder to fathom, but seems to me to that there is little meaningful boost or cut above/below around 80Hz and that represents a shelf rather than a centre f (if I've got my terminology correct).

Ibanez EQ f-resp.png

I suspect the diagrams are just there for marketing reasons. I see no reason why the treble would be anything other than a treble shelf, as to do anything different would require additional componants for no useful reasons. So it is a treble and bass control with a parametric middle control.

• Like 2

So this happened

Mate took out the active preamp as it was fried.

Sounds ok, not a lot different to the barts to be honest. Probably needs new strings. Might get a new preamp or maybe just a B3K on the cheap. Jury's out but they look pretty.

IMG-20210407-WA0001.jpeg

Edited by horrorshowbass

@horrorshowbass Interesting... when you say the new big singles run passive are not a lot different sounding to the reverse split coil Mk1 Barts, Is that with Barts also run passive (after the pre failed) or as you remember em when the pre was working?

If you tried the Mk1 Barts passive - did they sound the same as with the preamp but with the BMT set centered?

And the Blend may effect the pickups different when passive.

OE is a AC taper, so half and half when centered... I have swapped mine for a MN taper so both full when centered.

Don't suppose you have one of the small knobs going spare? or are you hanging on to em in case you get a replacement pre?

• Like 1

@PaulThePlug hi mate it was as I remember the barts with the active preamp.

It does sound great through the driven clean channel on my Zoom.

Its early days, I recently got a ray34 that was dead as a doornail, new strings and it sounded exactly like a ray should.

I'll check this evening re knobs. 

Edited by horrorshowbass
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

@horrorshowbass Interesting... when you say the new big singles run passive are not a lot different sounding to the reverse split coil Mk1 Barts, Is that with Barts also run passive (after the pre failed) or as you remember em when the pre was working?

If you tried the Mk1 Barts passive - did they sound the same as with the preamp but with the BMT set centered?

Apart from the experience here, which is as i mentioned unusual, as i have never heard the Mk1 barts to even be in the same ballpark as the big singles (and I have had a few of both), with a good lead and a high input amp, it should sound no different to a preamp (run flat). Also the blend control is wired before the preamp, so again should be no difference passive or active.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't think I ever posted a picture of my main Ibanez Mikro Bass here after I transplanted the outstanding neck from my old 2010 production GSRM20 Mikro Bass to the mahogany body of my newer 2017 production GSRM20B in Weathered Black finish, so here it is (also swapped the side mounted barrel type jack output socket to a front mounted regular one, as I got the 1 P pickup I have installed wired directly to the output jack socket, and as such the knobs are only there for strictly cosmetic reasons. Also swapped the Model P pickup on this picture out for an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup since the photo was shot) :

GSRM20-B-Body-White-Stripes-background-E

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2021 at 23:08, PaulThePlug said:

OE is a AC taper, so half and half when centered... I have swapped mine for a MN taper so both full when centered.

Don't suppose you have one of the small knobs going spare? or are you hanging on to em in case you get a replacement pre?

@PaulThePlug checked the case mate sorry tech must have threw the knobs out.

@WoodinblackI tried the bass through Vox Amp plug last night and sounded great, getting used to the Nords now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Moving Pictures said:

I’ve had success ordering direct from Ibanez in the past. 

Thanks - just dropped Headstock Distribution an e-mail

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Last time I tried, I found the most successful way was to look up the part number in the ibanez catalogue, then search on ebay or the rest of the net.

I did that last night but couldn't find anything, especially the stacked knobs in black :(

23 hours ago, erisu said:

Does anyone know where I can get Ibanez replacements parts? Looking for a gold replacement bridge, tuners and some knobs for an Ibanez K5.

Ahh - sorry, got the two requests mixed up. Depends on the year for the K5, assuming 2008/9 (as the bridge went black after that), 

The bridge is the 2BB1EB75AG, like this https://www.drumsetc.com/content/ibanez-eb7-5-string-bass-bridge-gold-2bb1eb75ag

The tuners are actually just hipshot tuners, not ibanez, so normal gold hipshot L2R3, part is 2MH1CH223G, but they are just a hipshot, so go by size

and the knobs are 4KB1JB20WB as used on almost all ibanezes with stacked knobs between 2005 - 2015. And I suspect the same as the current ehb, which would be easy to check as I have an EHB and an SR1000 which has them.

https://www.meinlshop.de/en/ibanez/spare-parts/e-basses/potentiometer-knobs/ibanez-plastic-8mm-diameter-control-black-for-k5-and-selected-sr-models-4kb1jb20wb

I have used them before, and they are good

Edited by Woodinblack

21 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Ahh - sorry, got the two requests mixed up. Depends on the year for the K5, assuming 2008/9 (as the bridge went black after that), 

The bridge is the 2BB1EB75AG, like this https://www.drumsetc.com/content/ibanez-eb7-5-string-bass-bridge-gold-2bb1eb75ag

The tuners are actually just hipshot tuners, not ibanez, so normal gold hipshot L2R3, part is 2MH1CH223G, but they are just a hipshot, so go by size

and the knobs are 4KB1JB20WB as used on almost all ibanezes with stacked knobs between 2005 - 2015. And I suspect the same as the current ehb, which would be easy to check as I have an EHB and an SR1000 which has them.

https://www.meinlshop.de/en/ibanez/spare-parts/e-basses/potentiometer-knobs/ibanez-plastic-8mm-diameter-control-black-for-k5-and-selected-sr-models-4kb1jb20wb

I have used them before, and they are good

Thanks for looking into this. I saw those two websites too but would prefer to keep the ordering within Europe as the website in the first link is in the US and the second website does not ship Ibanez parts to UK.

Headstock Distribution got back to me today and suggested me to contact Max Cottam at http://www.cottamguitars.co.uk/ as he's one of UK's biggest Ibanez spare parts dealer.

On 06/03/2021 at 15:01, horrorshowbass said:

Great instruments, even the standard series. 

Most of them are, but IME there's more risk of getting a dud with the Standard series than a Premium, & they've been putting chintzy machine-heads on the Standard Soundgears since 2012.

I wish that one of us had told you about the difference in size of the Nordstrand vs. Bartolinis so you could have ordered custom-sized ones, it's only a $20 USD upcharge, IIRC.

Change the strings on the bass immediately. Those Nordstrands should sound FAR better than the Bartolinis, unless you don't enjoy the high-end zing the Big-Singles have.

They're also more responsive & have something I can't even describe other than Grunt, but Nordstrand calls it Character.

On 08/04/2021 at 18:08, PaulThePlug said:

OE is a AC taper, so half and half when centered.

The 500K Ohm A/C taper blend pots on Ibanez have 10% of Resistance at the center position.

I switched my SR eXtreme (SRX) from Volume/Blend to Volume/Volume & TBH I could not hear a difference from the A/C taper pot that I removed.

My guess is Ibanez use A/C taper to stop the inherent scoop that happens when both pickups are connected directly in parallel.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
added details about the SRX
  • Thanks 1

Out of interest,  which SRX did you/do you have?

I had an SRX700 for a good while,  but never did like the pickups, so I eventually moved it on. A shame,  as it played brilliantly,  but was just too "shouty" and seemed to lack a full sounding bottom-end without turning it up until it sounded bloated.