Why become a member? ×

How much music do you actually listen to?

TheGreek

18 hours ago, FinnDave said:

If you want to give the Dead a chance to impress ( and no one is saying you should) then skip the studio albums and stick to the live recordings. In my opinion, they were dull in the studio but came alive in front of audience.

I have most of the studio stuff and haven't listened to it in years - I only ever listen to the live stuff, of which there is plenty - almost all of their 2500 plus shows were recorded.

I always thought of the Dead as a sort of 'American Hawkwind' but looking back that applies more to the deadheads than the band. Musically I suspect they are more of an American Fairport Convention.

I have Live Dead, Dylan and the Dead and Terrapin Station.

I'd agree the live ones are much more engaging. Not sure I could handle about 5,000 hours of them though 🙂

19 hours ago, FinnDave said:

If you want to give the Dead a chance to impress ( and no one is saying you should) then skip the studio albums and stick to the live recordings. In my opinion, they were dull in the studio but came alive in front of audience.

I have most of the studio stuff and haven't listened to it in years - I only ever listen to the live stuff, of which there is plenty - almost all of their 2500 plus shows were recorded.

I did listen to quite a lot of live stuff as I’m aware that many Dead fans feel the same as you. I think for me, they maybe just fall between too many different stools; they’re not quite enough of anything to really grab me. I don’t find the songs very strong, I don’t find the playing particularly passionate or inspired. YMMV, obviously. I haven’t disliked what I’ve heard, I just haven’t particularly liked it either; it’s just ok. But I’ll keep trying at intervals, and if I never manage to get into them it’s no great loss in the scheme of things; plenty of people do really like them (like yourself) and there are dozens of other bands I really do love. 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I always thought of the Dead as a sort of 'American Hawkwind' but looking back that applies more to the deadheads than the band. Musically I suspect they are more of an American Fairport Convention.

I have Live Dead, Dylan and the Dead and Terrapin Station.

I'd agree the live ones are much more engaging. Not sure I could handle about 5,000 hours of them though 🙂

Interesting analogies. I love Hawkwind; in fact they initially taught me how to play. But peak Hawkwind (Lemmy era) were a huge driving monster of a band, the complete opposite of all the Dead I’ve heard. I think you’re right about it being more the audience. Mike Moorcock described Hawkwind as being like cavemen that had got hold of electronic equipment (or something to that effect), which I thought was pretty apt.  

The Fairport analogy I can kind of see, but having far more interest in English folk music than country and blues they connect with me far more, or did at their peak, anyway, i.e. when Sandy Denny was with them. They had such a strong identity then. I think identity is pretty key to me. And that would be the real difference for me; one of the best voices I’ve ever heard, singing not only wonderful traditional material but stellar originals too. 

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s a good point, the band I’m currently in plays classic rock - Zeppelin, Purple, Rainbow etc - so I’ve been buying that and listening to it, as well as both enjoying it it helps me get in the mindset for playing it.

I've also found that other band members have introduced me to a whole load of stuff I've never heard of. I'd never have discovered bands like Storyville, Government Mule, The Rival Sons or Cry of Love without them and they're all great bands that I listen to a lot now.

7 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Big Hawkwind fan... up to Black Sword '85ish - Then i went a bit... mmm

American Hawkwind? - Monster Magnet...

I wandered away for a few decades, some of the recent albums, especially The Machine Stops, have been excellent.