Why become a member? ×

Should I give up?

[quote name='William James Easton' post='432860' date='Mar 12 2009, 08:54 PM']Do i think "forget it" sell up and give up or should i just hold out for a pub covers band to turn up just for the sake of playing?[/quote]

Without wanting to get too Kate Bush on you, don't give up. I was so sickened after a band I was in fell apart that I stopped playing for 2 years. This was 19-21. And I've never practised like I did before. But I'm a much better player now and the band I'm in now is so much better than the one that fell apart.

I got into writing, playing guitar, playing drums, playing keys, producing, put a band together (which again fell apart) and then put this one together. It's just a long-arse, depressing journey at times. But the playing's a part of who you are. You can try to deny it but you'll just end up acting weird in the rest of your life.

[quote name='Buzz' post='433105' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:34 AM'].

Blimeh, nice to see the OAP's are still kicking out and about playing live music, you look 50 years younger mate :)[/quote]

Thanks. I've been on a strict diet of cocaine and 14-year old boys for the last 25 years!

[quote name='William James Easton' post='432860' date='Mar 12 2009, 08:54 PM']Today is a bad day. After 3 and a bit years with out playing. I finally get back into it. buy some new gear and put all my free time into brushing up my skills. Then after a year of writing and jamming it seems that 2 of the members of my so called band decide they don't have time to do it. I am gutted. I've worked so hard picking myself up after a very bad patch and have focused on playing original music again. and now, even though i have more on my plate then ever, i am the one being let down by people who i thought where going to get that spring back in my musical step.
Do i think "forget it" sell up and give up or should i just hold out for a pub covers band to turn up just for the sake of playing?

some one please slap me and point me in the right direction.

respectfully yours
Will '08457 90 90 90' Easton[/quote]

Hi.

Although new to the bass, it's not my first instrument. I've been exactly where you are and I can tell you categorically that if you jack it in for good, you will look back eventually and deeply regret it. You can never recover that wasted time. Music is therapeutic, even in the bad times with no band. Selling up is absolutely the worst thing you can do, it's closing the door and there's too much finality. What about the days when you just had a bad day and want to pick up an instrument and disappear into that void for a few hours and you can't.

A bad patch with music in your life is better than a great patch with no music in your life. In the times with no band, there are plenty of other things that you can to re-ignite passion for music. One basic example - buy a looper and start playing over your own loops or with drum loops. Do some writing and recording. Why don't YOU be the one that puts together a set and a band. Find like-minded people who have passion for playing and don't want to rely on it for a source of income only (these are often very jaded musicians). There are still people out there that genuinely, through pure love of music, want to do it for music's sake.

While you are looking, keep hammering the practice, set some goals and be single minded about it. The only difference between flogging your gear and finding something truly great is your own motivation.

Don't give up - you will live to bitterly, bitterly regret it. Believe me, that is a [b]much, much[/b] worse place to be in than where you are now.

Cheers
AM

[quote name='The Funk' post='433094' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:25 AM']Without wanting [[size=3]b]to get too Kate Bush on you[/b], [/size]don't give up. I was so sickened after a band I was in fell apart that I stopped playing for 2 years. This was 19-21. And I've never practised like I did before. But I'm a much better player now and the band I'm in now is so much better than the one that fell apart.

I got into writing, playing guitar, playing drums, playing keys, producing, put a band together (which again fell apart) and then put this one together. It's just a long-arse, depressing journey at times. But the playing's a part of who you are. You can try to deny it but you'll just end up acting weird in the rest of your life.[/quote]

i find that statement a little arousing! is that wrong? - the kate bush bit!

Edited by William James Easton

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='432947' date='Mar 12 2009, 10:12 PM']Get yerself up to the Tap'n'Spile jam night on a Thursday about 10pm. Even for just half an hour, talk to people and let them know you want to play in a band; there are a few musos turn up. Mark the guy that runs it is a decent bloke.
Jon[/quote]

Jon, i am going to pop down in the near future.

I almost knocked you off your bike last week. You blended in with all the bright yellow tress and houses i see :)

Edited by William James Easton

[quote name='AM1' post='433113' date='Mar 13 2009, 12:40 AM']Selling up is absolutely the worst thing you can do, it's closing the door and there's too much finality. What about the days when you just had a bad day and want to pick up an instrument and disappear into that void for a few hours and you can't.[/quote]

Sometimes I contemplate a "reset". I still own my first bass (P copy) and amp (Stagg 20W combo) and I consider the possibility of selling everything else. Getting back to basics, if you will.

S.P.

[quote name='William James Easton' post='432860' date='Mar 12 2009, 08:54 PM']Do i think "forget it" sell up and give up[/quote]
[size=7]NO![/size] You'd regret it.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='432875' date='Mar 12 2009, 09:00 PM']Why not do both? In lots of places the originals and pub covers bands are completely different venues/scene. Gte a pub covers going while you spend more time on the originals - then if the originals comes to nothing like it often does you still have the covers.[/quote]
+1. A good covers band can be a lot of fun, especially with the right bandmates, and it keeps you from going rusty and your callouses from going soft :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='433257' date='Mar 13 2009, 09:00 AM']But do they let you play the 9 ?[/quote]
Yes..Ive already retuned them,Scott wants 2 tracks from it at least..and the next lp,will,mostly,be in drop A.

(Vast disappointment that I didn't bring it to the audition)

[quote name='William James Easton' post='432876' date='Mar 12 2009, 09:01 PM']i cant find anyone else. bassists are easy to find coz basses are easy to play! :)[/quote]

Hmm, easy to play? That's alright then. For a moment, there I thought it was hard when trying to nail that Stanley Clarke number.

Don't give up, just look for others to play with. Your two mates aren't the only two other musicians in the country and if your thinking of packing it in just because of that, then maybe it wasn't that much of a passion in the first place.

Playing in a pub band can still be fullfilling. 75% of it for me was the crack with the other guys in the band NOT, just the songs.

You can always stick the odd original in the set if it's good enough. That's the real acid test in a pub normally associated with covers bands.