Why become a member? ×

Strings for fretless?

Cygnus x-1

One of the things I like about this fellowship is, you can ask a daft question and people dont answer as if you were a numpty (hopefully?... only joking) anyway after having fretted bass for a few years, I decided to get a Squier VMJ fretless.
The thing I want to know is, it came with roundwounds fitted and they dont really give me that fretless vibe I was hoping for (a bit zinggy if you know what I mean).
I imagine flats might be a bit extreme the other way??, so what do people think of half/semi wounds on a fretless? I've read all the threads I can on here about strings but I'm no clearer. What would you fretless guys recommend and because I would have to buy on the net (local shop only sells rounds) where are the best deals?
Thanks in advance, long live Rush...........cygnus x-1 :)

I had read this pinned thread, I understand the pro's & cons of rounds v flats but when it comes to internet shopping I dont know which strings are half/semi e.g. are the D'Addario pro steels? I realise its a bit of trial & error but knowing a good place to start helps a lot, thanks, cygnus

don't know if it's any use, but i've put some sound clips here;

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3919&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3919&st=0[/url]

it's a review of a pre-amp , but i'm using elixir nanoweb 45-125,

they're only short clips but they may give you another frame of reference; the most useful is probably "GENERAL1"

i do wonder if the polymer coating may help protect the fingerboard aswell. it seems to have worn less quickly since i started using them!

cheers,

daf

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='46100' date='Aug 15 2007, 10:38 PM']I had read this pinned thread, I understand the pro's & cons of rounds v flats but when it comes to internet shopping I dont know which strings are half/semi e.g. are the D'Addario pro steels? I realise its a bit of trial & error but knowing a good place to start helps a lot, thanks, cygnus[/quote]
Half rounds almost always say so. I've never seen a site that does not distinguish between rounds, flats and halfs (aka ground or pressure wounbd). D'Addario halfs are called Halfs. Not Chrome or Pro Steel.

Edited by bass_ferret

i've been using roto funkmasters for a year now w/o any issues. they are my favorite string. i've tried several other makes, but these just seem to sing, hold up longer, and are somewhat inexpensive. they allow a lighter gauge without losing the desired tension, which has helped me improve my technique, yet still retain a solid feel when comping. this is with an ebony fingerboard.

[url="http://www.music123.com/Rotosound-FM66-Funk-Master-Bass-Strings-102824-i1122927.Music123"]http://www.music123.com/Rotosound-FM66-Fun...122927.Music123[/url]

[quote]Rotosound FM66 Funk Master Bass Strings
Gauges: 30-50-70-90. Long scale. These light gauge sets became the funk and fusion choice of the '80s, made popular by such notables as Stanley Clarke and Mark King. Rotosound makes the world's most famous and highest-quality roundwound electric bass strings.[/quote]

Edited by m0reilly

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='46158' date='Aug 15 2007, 05:35 PM']Roto halfs are...[/quote]
the OP wanted something "zingy", so as to half-wounds/grounds...to each their own, i guess. you will definitely get more "mwah" from the rounds. with a light set, more so :)

Edited by m0reilly

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='45941' date='Aug 15 2007, 09:25 AM']...long live Rush...........cygnus x-1 :)[/quote]
[quote]On all of his basses, Lee uses [color="#FF0000"]Rotosound Funkmaster[/color] round-wound strings.[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee[/url]

Edited by m0reilly

[quote name='m0reilly' post='46163' date='Aug 16 2007, 02:42 AM']the OP wanted something "zingy", so as to half-wounds/grounds...to each their own, i guess. you will definitely get more "mwah" from the rounds. with a light set, more so :)[/quote]
I think the OP wanted something less "zingy" or my understanding of english needs improving. So the Funkmasters are just light guage swing bass then?

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='46462' date='Aug 16 2007, 03:05 PM']I had'nt considered Elixirs, any body using these on fretless....thanks for help thus far............cygnus x-1[/quote]

don't know if you saw my earlier reply...#6...... sound clips of elixirs?...

daf

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='46422' date='Aug 16 2007, 05:39 AM']I think the OP wanted something less "zingy" or my understanding of english needs improving. So the Funkmasters are just light guage swing bass then?[/quote]
i stand corrected. an ADD moment...yes, a lighter swing bass. coated strings will give you less "zing", but sounds like a ground round might fit the bill.

Thats two suggestions for halfs. I tried the D'Addario but did not like them - but then it was 20 years ago :)

The other options are Elites and Rotosound as mentioned in the pinned post. I dont know of any others available mail order. I dont know where D'Addario's would fit in my brightness scale.

I am using Elixir strings too, but sometimes I use Marleaux steels because they are REALLY flexible, like spaghetti!

[url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Carter%20Hiscox%20Hiscocks/Torrential.mp3"]THIS[/url] was recorded with Elixirs too.

I won't use roundwounds on a fretless solely due to the wear issue although they can sound really good. I've had good experience with both La Bella Deep Talkin' and TI Jazz flats.

I find string height/setup is vital, especially with flats.

Deep talkin are probably my faves :)

Quite Low/Midsy, not zingy.

Edited by GreeneKing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I first tried some Rotosounds half-round / ground-wound (not exactly sure what type!) in a blue pack - they were ok, but the G and A strings were a lot rougher than D and E, almost like regular rounds.

After researching the talkbass forum, everyone raved about GHS Brite Flats. They were impossible to find in the UK, but I emailed stringsdirect.co.uk and they ordered some in special for me. I bought 2 sets and they are perfect for me - silky smooth but still plenty of bite, you get a nice growling roundwound tone when pulling hard or using a pick, but can still sound like mellow flats if you alter your technique and roll off the tone a bit.

Now my 2nd set is at the end of it's life, and I'm not sure whether to try and clean the first set, get some more ordered in, or try the d'Addarrio or Rotosound groundwounds (hoping for a similar but easier to obtain version of the brite flats).

Been using Rotosound Solo Bass (45s) on my Wal Custom Fretless for nearly 20 years (I think - basically, from around the time I got it in 1986). You tend to have to get them by mail order as they are rarely in stock in the provinces. But my sound is not an eighties Gary Willis 'mwahhh' fretless sound, more in a Steve Swallow/double bass kind of space. I think that techno space age fretless bass sound is a bit over-processed for me. In a nutshell, I like an anonymous string that lets my sound be my sound and the Solo bass does it for me.

Worth noting as well that I change mine around once every 8 years (whether I need to or not). I loathe new strings on a bass (but love them on a guitar)