Why become a member? ×

Looking for something different??

soopercrip

[quote name='yorick' post='431275' date='Mar 11 2009, 09:43 AM']This was featured in Bass Player a couple of years ago. It was built to celebrate Ritter's 10th anniversary, with a customer already lined up for it!!! At the time it was supposed to have cost $100k.....[/quote]
Blo*dy inflation/Labour government/price of fuel/VAT etc,etc,etc :)

[quote name='Eight' post='431469' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:40 PM']Finding a 10,000 year old mammoth, and then killing it just to make a nut seems excessive.[/quote]

:)

While it might seem odd, mammoth ivory is actually fairly common, and quite 'cheap'. It costs around £50 for a kilo of material that would be suitable for making into nuts. Okay, not as cheap as bone or graphite, but not mega-expensive.

There's no question here of scientifically important specimens being used for the vanity of the rich. Ritter won't be cutting up museum quality tusks (which would cost tens of thousands of pounds).

I can remember when this was first announced and people complained about the price (then $100,000 IIRC). At the time I pointed out that my boss had just spent that much on a new car and that wasn't anything particularly flash. Given that kind of money I know what I'd have spent it on (a clue: it wouldn't be the car), plus judging by that article it looks as though the bass was a better investment - I doubt to car is even worth half what he paid for it now.