Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray - Such a love/hate relationship

Linus27

I've never owned one, but I've played quite a few, Sterlings as well.

There always seems to (my ears) be something missing from the sound of the 3eq models. A very dull and unresponsive sound, but then again I am spoiled with the basses I own, so my expectations are very high.

I played a brand new 2eq model about 2 years ago, fresh out of the box & that was really magnificent. Punchy, responsive & everything the 3eq models aren't.

So I'm not a MusicMan hater. It's just the 3eq ones whose sound bores me silly :)

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='431131' date='Mar 10 2009, 11:29 PM']I've never owned one, but I've played quite a few, Sterlings as well.

There always seems to (my ears) be something missing from the sound of the 3eq models. A very dull and unresponsive sound, but then again I am spoiled with the basses I own, so my expectations are very high.

I played a brand new 2eq model about 2 years ago, fresh out of the box & that was really magnificent. Punchy, responsive & everything the 3eq models aren't.

So I'm not a MusicMan hater. It's just the 3eq ones whose sound bores me silly :)

Rich.[/quote]

In addition to what Rich says, I've owned around five StingRays over the years and each one had its own character - a couple sounded awesome whereas one or two just didn't deliver - but then you can say that about any `mass produced' bass guitar - there are some Fenders I've had that sounded fat, others thin; you need to factor in many variables as we all know, variations in woods, pickups etc etc. The treble boost on the StingRay has always annoyed me to the extent that I could never use it fully boosted, sounds like a nail being scraped inside a tin bucket!

Another point - the pickup placement on the Ray is much closer to the bridge - great for a tighter tone, whereas the inherent fatness as noted in many Precisions could be due to the location of the pickup being more centrally placed on the body.

I used a mate's 3eq at rehearsal the other week through an original Ashdown Klystron 200w 1x15 combo, and I thought it was great. Didn't really lack anything soundwise, and certainly wasn't thin, although it obviously had a different sound to the '75 P I also used. It was fat with a bit of growl and twang; I kept the controls almost flat and just added a bit of mids. Seemed to suit the 15 really well though. FWIW the passive OLP I had briefly was extremely fat, one of the fattest-sounding basses I've ever owned although from the comments I've read that seems atypical. I used that through the same rig.

Edited by 4000

The '79 2EQ I often have a use of is fine and sits better in the mix with me 3-piece Krautrock band than the KSD Jazz. I just whack everything up then back the treble off a bit - lovely. It's not a Spector though for which, funnily enough, I use the same tone settings on the bass :)

Edited by johnnylager
  • Like 1

[quote name='Duarte' post='431110' date='Mar 10 2009, 11:08 PM']Go on the ernie ball forum and talk about the G string...I dare you.[/quote]

That forum is ridiculous. They’d sing the praises of a polished piece of sh*t with an Ernie Ball logo on it.

Interesting thread.

I started off with 70s Precision back in the early 80s, moving to a JV Precision (and also a Jazz) and then to a Stingray (which I still have) I found Precisions to have a woolly imprecise sound which Stingrays do not (IMO).

Got both a 2EQ and 3EQ. The 2EQ is a different beast, and has a fuller bottom end. An old thread on the dudepit explained the difference in detail. Both cut through live though you may need to fiddle with the 3EQ. On a 2EQ, boost bass to half or 3/4, keep treble low, play where a precision pick up would be placed and bob's your uncle.

Alexclaber defined the various sounds of a Stingray, Jazz and Precision pretty accurately.

Its a question of taste. Each to their own.

• Like 1

I felt very much the same way that a lot of you do up until recently. Every Stingray I played sounded thin, and 5ers had a dull, unfocussed B string. I've long been mystified why they design a 5 with the G string 1mm from the edge of the fingerboard. Total design flaw if you ask me. I saw a thread about this on TB and the Stingray lovers overs there said there was nothing wrong and it was "user error"! However, all has changed since I picked up a natural Stingray 5 recently. 2002 model, tortie plate with a maple board. This bass sings and growls. All I need to do to get the perfect fat tone is to put the pickup selector in the neck position and add a touch of bass. For me the eq does actually work. It does however sound a bit thin on the bridge position. Best bass I have ever played with a pick though - and the tight string spacing works a treat. The build and finishing quality is also first class - lovely wood grain, solid, well made parts, and just a bombproof feel. Far better than current American Fenders imho.
In short, I think part of it is knowing the Stingray sound - if you don't like the tone you probably won't enjoy it as much, and part knowing how to get the best out of it. Tony Levin is one of my favourite players, and I doubt he would have used A Stingray for so long if there wasn't something there (freebies or not). Like any other mass manufactured bass, I guess you have to try a few first.

[quote name='Linus27' post='431321' date='Mar 11 2009, 10:26 AM']I am wondering if a 2EQ Musicman is more in what I am after sound wise. Anyone got a 2EQ Stingray I can come and try and even compare to my 3EQ???[/quote]

Yes. :)

I bought a Sterling 10 years ago and I still love the thing to bits but I can see where the OP is coming from.

I've found that if I set the EQ to get a good sound from the bass on its own, it all disappears when the band kicks in. However, If I tweak the sound while the band is playing then I can easily get a really nice bassy, growly that cuts through - but it'll sound horrible on it's own!
I also use the bass' bass EQ full up with a touch of mid cut and a touch of treble boost to give the sound some fatness and i always, always use nickel strings - it sounds bloody awful with stainless steel strings.

Dave

[quote name='obbm' post='431377' date='Mar 11 2009, 11:41 AM']Yes. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hey Dave, really?? Would you mind if I bought my 3EQ along to yours at some point and compared the difference? I would be most appreciative. By the way, my Duck Dunn now sounds lush, very clunky and precision like :)

[quote name='simon1964' post='430748' date='Mar 10 2009, 05:21 PM']I've just bought one of the Musicman three band EQs which John East has designed. The bass and treble controls are meant to replicate a 2 band Stingray when the mids are flat, but with the ability to dial in some mids with a mid and mid sweep control. I've not got it yet, but I'm hoping it will give a bit more clout by dialling in some low mids. I'll post a review once its fitted.[/quote]

Grrr... I just wanted to say that people who have Flash only websites will burn in hell. Loading...........................................................

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='431425' date='Mar 11 2009, 12:46 PM']I did find that a Nordstrand pickup improved my orange Sterling no end. Is it still out there somewhere?[/quote]

+1 on the Nordstrand 4.3

Sounded good before but the Nordstrand made SUCH a difference.

T

PS Ermmmm, still sold it though.....

[quote name='tonyf' post='431458' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:33 PM']+1 on the Nordstrand 4.3

Sounded good before but the Nordstrand made SUCH a difference.

T

PS Ermmmm, still sold it though.....[/quote]

So what does the Nordstrand do to the sound? Totally change the sound from the classic Stingray tone or just improves on it?

A good question. On the Sterling it gave the bass more balls. It was a while back but it transformed a nice bass into a great one.

I would say that the East pre, allowing a 3 EQ Stingray to take on the characteristics of the 2EQ, would be worth investigating as it would save you having to find another one. It sounds like a very good solution.

Now a Nordstarand and a 2EQ replicating pre might work wonders.

[quote name='Linus27' post='431494' date='Mar 11 2009, 01:57 PM']Thanks Greenking,

I think my first move would be to check out a 2EQ and if possible, compare it against my 3EQ to see if there is any noticable difference. Then make a decision after that.[/quote]

Your are very welcome to come and try my 2-band but I suggest you bring your amp as a point of reference.

[quote name='obbm' post='431517' date='Mar 11 2009, 02:07 PM']Your are very welcome to come and try my 2-band but I suggest you bring your amp as a point of reference.[/quote]

Thanks Dave, that would be great. Anytime suitable for you? Probably a weekend or Friday afternoon is best for me but I am in no rush.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='431433' date='Mar 11 2009, 12:55 PM']Grrr... I just wanted to say that people who have Flash only websites will burn in hell. Loading...........................................................[/quote]

Hope you didn't wait for it too long to load, as its not actually on his website yet! You will find details here though:

[url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/east-musicman-preamp.htm"]http://www.bestbassgear.com/east-musicman-preamp.htm[/url]

I had a Nordstrand PU & John East pre fitted to my 79 ray as the original parts had been replaced by 2001 EB parts, which I then sold on. There is a slight difference but not massive, as we tested it against a modern ray at the recent Nottm bash (Simon1964 can back me up on this). So don't expect miracles if you start swapping out PU & pre's, at the end of the day it is a ray. If you want it to sound like a jazz, buy a jazz. I go hot and cold with it and usually it trails in 3rd after my jazz and ric as preferred weapon of choice. It does cut through though when I use it for occasional jams. Play it through the passive input usually.