Hi all,

Did ANYONE ever buy an Ibanez Artcore AGB205-DVS? I’ve searched high and low on eBay and Reverb and AliExpress and elsewhere, and cannot find one for love or money! Was it a limited-edition only (what years?), or so good that no-one wants to sell, or so bad no-one ever bought one? Please help!

Thanks & keep thumping,

Thundr

I had one years ago and HATED it! Swiftly sold it. Never was one for the hollow body bass sound though, so probably just me that didn't like it! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Give me a minute, but I'm pretty sure I saw a guy on Facebook selling two of these earlier this week! 

Edit: was selling both for £500. Maybe worth trying to see if they are still available 

Screenshot_20200523-220820.png

Edited by BassApprentice
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Give me a minute, but I'm pretty sure I saw a guy on Facebook selling two of these earlier this week! 

Edit: was selling both for £500. Maybe worth trying to see if they are still available 

Screenshot_20200523-220820.png

That’s the post I couldn’t find

Thanks, Binky. What did you like least about it? Were there any mitigating factors that at least made you like it a little? (Build quality, sound, size or weight, etc..?) This would be my first bass - and I like the idea of a semi-acoustic in which I can practice plugged or unplugged...

Thanks, BassApprentice. Found the ad and sent a message to the vendor. 

Thanks again, Andy. Shopping for first bass - and like the idea of semi-acoustic in which I can practice unplugged or otherwise. What’s your experience been with hollowbodies..?

5 hours ago, Thundr said:

Thanks, Binky. What did you like least about it? Were there any mitigating factors that at least made you like it a little? (Build quality, sound, size or weight, etc..?) This would be my first bass - and I like the idea of a semi-acoustic in which I can practice plugged or unplugged...

It's all very subjective, the build quality was absolutely fine, no problems at all. My dislike isn't because of any fault or poor craftsmanship, mostly just down to opinion. I did find the tone the be very muddy and couldn't dial in anything particularly articulate, for me even the best tone I could find didn't cut well through the mix and just sounded lost. But do bear in mind that I an a man who has quite specific tastes in basses! I prefer a much more glassy, hifi sound so anything hollow body really won't be my cup-o-tea! 

If your main reason to be looking at a semi-acoustic is for unplugged practice, you will probably be disappointed as in my experience the difference in unplugged volume between a solid bodied bass and a semiacoustic is only slightly above negligable. A solid bodied bass played through a decent practice amp such as the Roland micro cube bass RX, or a blackstar amPlug2 bass headphone amp will offer a much more satisfying and inspiring sound for practice.

• Like 1

@Jean-Luc Pickguard: Right first time: I am indeed hoping for a decent experience both plugged and unplugged. In your experience, do some hollowbodies do better than others in that respect? My search has narrowed to Hofner VeryThin H500/7 and H500/8, Ibanez AGB205 and AGB200, and *maybe* Warwick RB Star Bass. Appreciate your sharing...

I had a 5 string Artcore with the factory 'distressing'. You could hardly hear it unplugged solo and also alongside an acoustic  guitar or percussion. Only with a small practice combo as suggested by Jean-Luc Picguard is there any volume to compete.  Bass frequencies are too low to be heard unamplified with a small bodied Bass, even with an element of hollowness: I think the Artcore,from memory had a solid core?

Tone wise amplified it was OK, but as said above  a bit muddy, and the  low B was not the best, this you might however expect on a short scale  and I was on Flats too!

There's a reason why double basses have such large bodies...

I owned a Warwick MIK Pro Series Star Bass. It's acoustic sound was little better or louder than any of my solid basses.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jellyfish
      Now £320!
      For sale is my Ibanez SR506. This is an early example that features a push-pull pot on the volume to switch between active and passive and a push-pull pot on the mid control to select mid frequency. Other than that, it's very similar to the current day model and is an absolute beast! 
      The bass has recently been cleaned and restrung with Ernie Balls (that currently have about 5 minutes of play time on them!). There are plenty of age related marks and a slight crack near the 6th string tuning peg. This crack doesn't effect the tuning or neck at all and I've been td that it's very unlikely to effect the bass in the future (unless dropped from a small height) :). 
      I've tried to capture the various dents and marks in pictures but otherwise it plays brilliantly and the electronics all work perfectly fine. 
      Padded Fender case included. Happy to courier at buyer's risk (will ensure adequate packing). Also happy to consider trades. 
      Specs (copied from Andertons):
      5pc SR6 Jatoba/Bubinga neck
      Mahogany body
      Medium frets
      B106 bridge (16.5mm string spacing)
      Bartolini MK1 neck pu
      Bartolini MK1 bridge pu
      Bartolini MK1 3-band eq

• By benh
      So after much deliberation I've decided to go with something a bit different in my bass. So these are up for sale - Nordstrand Big Splits in Ibanez SR spacing (16.5mm), P2 shape (108mm x 32mm) so fits in the Bartolini MK1 routs. Comes with black pickup screws. Price includes postage.

• By Dapper Bandit
      Didn't think this one would be going, honestly but here we are:
      A fairly rare Ibanez DWB3 is now up for grabs. I've only seen one 4 and one 5 string version of this pass through this forum which is a mystery as this is a lovely bass. If you like an Ibanez neck then you know what this has to offer, not too thin front to back but has a pleasantly slim nut that encourages you to fly all over the place, should you want to.
      I had the excellent ACG EQ001 fitted by The Gallery in Camden as they certainly know their apples and there really isn't a sound this bass can't pull off!
      Why am I selling then, I hear you cry? I've got too many nice basses and I've got to cull the herd a little bit. I may also come to my senses and pull this in favour of putting something else up!
      Price is collected in Jersey if you fancy a daytrip to enjoy some sun and sea at the same time, postage can be arranged and the included hard case will keep her nice and safe.

• By NotAsGoodAsJaco
      Up for sale, my Ibanez BTB 1825. Excellent condition/as new.
      Comes with original custom fit Ibanez Case.
      35" scale bass with 19mm string spacing and a 47mm nut width.
      Bought new from Thomann in Nov 2019. Dot markers added by pro luthier.
      Low action, flat neck with  good feel. Just not the tone for me - I bought this bass without ever playing one.
      Prefer a local (London and surrounding areas) but will post within UK. UKsales only
      I believe these basses are discontinued.
      Spec from Ibanez...
      Neck type BTB59pc Panga Panga/Purpleheart/Maple w/Graphite reinforcement rods neck-through Top/back/body - Walnut top, Ash wing body Fretboard - Bound Panga Panga Abalone off-set dot inlay Frets - Medium Stainless Steel frets Premium fret edge treatment Bridge - MR5 bridge (19mm string spacing) Neck pickup - Aguilar® DCB neck pickupPassive Bridge pickup - Aguilar® DCB bridge pickupPassive Equaliser - Ibanez Custom Electronics 3-band EQ Hardware color - Gold Width 47mm NUT Radius 400  

• By silverfoxnik
      *** Now SOLD ***

Hi Folks 
      I'm selling this Ibanez Musician Studio Fretless Bass on behalf of a friend of mine who's had it in his recording studio for many years but now wants to move it on. 
      Was up for £675, but It's now offered for sale at £SOLD. 
      As can be seen in the photos, the bass and the case are in good condition for their age, considering they're getting on for 40 years old.  
      I think the bass is the lined fretless version of the Ibanez Musician ST924WN model, as can be seen here in this Reverb advert a few years ago:
      https://reverb.com/uk/item/1098372-ibanez-musician-studio-bass-st924wn-1979-walnut-mahogany
      But hopefully, @Bassassin might be able to offer some words of wisdom on this and put me right if I've got it wrong .. 😁
      The bass has recently had a once over by a local guitar/bass tech, so all the electrics are working and it's properly set up. Strings are old though, so they will need changing by its new owner. 
      Having said that, this bass really has that fretless 'mwahh' sound and it's got seriously loud pick ups! There's a great range of tones available from the active circuitry too.. 
      For anyone seriously interested, the bass can be viewed and tested by prior appointment in the Littlehampton area of West Sussex. 
      With regards to shipping, its definitely possible to send it via an insured courier service (at buyers expense), but it is a heavy bass as I'm sure anyone looking at this advert with a serious interest in the bass will know.
      I haven't weighed it, but it is heavy!! It's kind of like a Rolls Royce of a bass really - everything about it is quality and it's been built to last! 
      Anyway, if you've any questions about the bass, please send me a PM and I'll go back to the owner to get you an answer, though that may take a few hours or so depending on his availability.
      Thanks for looking! 😊
      Nik