Why become a member? ×

Hamer Quad Bass

NancyJohnson

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

More importantly with only a single saddle per course how do you play it in tune above the fifth fret?

I see what you're getting at, but for ease of manufacture/set-up, Hamer assume (or specify?) that the two octave-higher strings are of the same gauge. They should behave in a fairly similar manner as far as intonation is concerned. If the Fundamental string is twice the gauge of its two higher-pitched buddies, I reckon you'd get close enough.

My issue with that approach is that in reality the intonation for each group of strings would probably end up being a compromise that sounded workable rather than correct intonation per se.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
Auto correct!

54 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I'd have bought that if I'd seen it!  

/I check eBay for Hamer basses daily and this one must has been up and sold in a very short time.  I round the listing buried as a Worldwide listing seller and not a UK based one (even though the sale was London based).  I would have honestly pulled the trigger on that one within seconds.  No brainer.  That said, god knows how many £££ it would take to bring it up to scratch.

Edited by NancyJohnson

• 1 month later...

I was just perusing Talkbass and there's a thread up there about this bass.

There's a degree of conjecture, but it appears it's a 1978 model, built for John Glascock of Jethro Tull.  Serial number 0119.  The bass was shown on the Hamer stand at the 1978 British Musical Instrument Trade Show, before it was passed over to John (John died in 1979, aged 28, of heart failure).  Somewhere along the line, it changed hands and the owner was the late Paul Raven of Killing Joke/Prong/Ministry (also deceased, also of heart failure); someone on Talkbass found a video of him using the bass when he was with The Hellfire Club. 

The guy who got it appears to be a dealer (there's photos of the bass in a shop) and only joined TB in March looking for information on the instrument.  Given the questions he's been asking, reckon he's pinching himself at his good fortune and didn't know anything about what he was buying...he's already mentioned on TB that he's going to flip it ('It'll be on sale soon').

How that bass ended up on eBay for £800 is still beyond me, but given two of its previous owners died of heart failure, I don't know whether it's jinxed!

*The owner has a Reverb page.  https://reverb.com/shop/homzs

Edited by NancyJohnson

On 10/05/2020 at 14:52, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I see what you're getting at, but for ease of manufacture/set-up, Hamer assume (or specify?) that the two octave-higher strings are of the same gauge. They should behave in a fairly similar manner as far as intonation is concerned. If the Fundamental string is twice the gauge of its two higher-pitched buddies, I reckon you'd get close enough.

My issue with that approach is that in reality the intonation for each group of strings would probably end up being a compromise that sounded workable rather than correct intonation per se.

IME with 8 string basses (I've owned two) the difference in saddle position between the main and octave strings is such that if you only have a single saddle for all the strings in a course it will never sound in tune above the 5th fret, and no amount of compromise between the ideal positions for each string gives anything workable. With decent strings you could get away with a single saddle for both the octave strings in each course on this, but the main string is always going to need it's own separate saddle for intonation.