Why become a member? ×

What 4 'indispensable' effects

Hamster

Oh, of course, I never said which pedals are really indispensable for me...

If I had a more rock-oriented head, say a GK, or a Mesa, or a Hartke as well (or even a Markbass R500), I'd scrap the Hartke VXL Bass Attack.

So, what I really think are necessary are (without considering the tuner, which I don't have as a pedal anyway ;) ):

- compressor: as a heavy pick player, I couldn't do without a comp or a limiter, for more punch and evenness
- overdrive, I'd probably choose my Yerasov GT-2 over my modded Bad Monkey, since it can be tweaked to sound a bit like it
- volume pedal, it REALLY helps on stage

I could actually do without the rest, really... I'd be happier with a chorus, of course, or even more happier with a heavy distortion.

Started using my M80 as it's got an eq switch/boost, overdrive and a DI out all in one pedal (is that cheating?).
I use this with a bit of chorus now and again provided by a Stereo Electric Mistress (i don't use the Flanger on it). So does that count as 4?

Before that i had a Pickle Pie with Mid switch, a custom clean boost and various overdrives (EBS and Gremlin, got the Bogdan Helter Skelter now). I leave these at home now for pure simplicity

I'm trying to justify using the Danelectro Black Liquorice but there's not much call for uber fuzzed out mayhem in a party covers band..... I'll find some though!!!

I only use 4 pedals at the mo including a tuner so it would have to be them

Boss TU2 - Aguilar Tone hammer (used as an overdrive) - modded EH USA big muff (for heavier fuzzier parts in songs) - cheap digital delay for more ambient parts

I'm a heavy pick player as well so no doubt a compressor would be the other one I'd add into the list

My setup currently is quite simple

Modded Crybaby Wah>E/H Bass Muff Pi>Arion EQ (for volume boost).

I sometimes use a Zoom B2 as well, but thats cheating!

I will be adding an envelope filter of some sort and an overdrive at some point, as now now I am happy with my basses and amp, I need something to spend the money I don't have on!

I used to have ten pedals on a board (compressor, synth, harmoniser, overdrive, fuzz, delay, volume pedal, flanger, phaser, envelope filter) but when I started singing I theoretically stripped that down to overdrive, phaser and envelope filter but then never got around to taking the trio to rehearsals. I suppose that leads me to conclude that the only dispensable effects are what you can do with your hands, a good bass and a good amp.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='418684' date='Feb 24 2009, 07:56 PM']I used to have ten pedals on a board (compressor, synth, harmoniser, overdrive, fuzz, delay, volume pedal, flanger, phaser, envelope filter) but when I started singing I theoretically stripped that down to overdrive, phaser and envelope filter but then never got around to taking the trio to rehearsals. I suppose that leads me to conclude that the only dispensable effects are what you can do with your hands, a good bass and a good amp.

Alex[/quote]

+1

I've gone from using any or all of t-wah, octaver, delay, overdrive, limiter/enhancer, chorus and a multi-effects unit. Instead, I just really like he sound of my bass, but that's probably because it's a double bass!

As soon as I pick up my Jazz deluxe from home, I'll no doubt reconsider, but I love the natural sound of that bass, too!

My bass goes directly into a DHA VT-1 Bass Purist pedal and the signal from that goes into my amp. Then I use the send/return on my amp to drive a DBX MC6 compressor and a Boss FT 2 dynamic filter pedal..

Generally, I prefer to have as little as possible in the way of the bass and the amp but the DHA pedal adds a little valvey warmth to the sound of my Eden Nemesis head, which is solid-state.

• 2 weeks later...

For some time my SansAmp Bass driver, Fulltone Bass Driver, Woolly Mammoth and Phase 90 have been firmly rooted to my pedal board and nothing I've tried has yet to replace them or be added. This could all change though as I've bought a few new pedals recently. However I can't see the SansAmp or Phase 90 going anywhere.