Why become a member? ×

The new fleabass!

sshorepunk

I think they're absolutely superb, what a great idea. I know when I was younger I would have killed to have had one of these basses. There are a lot of kids and adults alike out there that look to Flea for inspiration, the very notion that he cares enough to put his name to something that is a.) usable as a bass for beginner and intermediate players, b.) insanely flashy and c.) with the guarantee that Flea plays one of these basses himself now, is admirable. Those who are commenting on the cheap look of the bass... you've missed the point completely (not everyone can afford a Fodera now, can they?). I say best of luck to him! ;)

Err IMHO the worst thing about most cheap basses is the apalling set up.

Having said that the SR300 I recently got with a fiend (beginner) was alright,but we tweaked it quite a bit to make ot really playable.

If these are of similar build quality to a cheap Ibanez, but set up better thats great.

If these get any more people into playing bass, thats great

Since thats what they are aimed at why is anyone here who isnt a teenager thinking about starting out on bass dissing them? They arent aimed at you, so get over it.

Top job Flea I think.

And looking distinctive is not a problem for me, as long as they play well and inspire beginners then they tick all the boxes. It would be fantastic if they came in at about £300, and to be honest they need to be amazing to beat the Ibanez sr300 range at close to that price.

The proof of the pudding and all that !
But the way Bass magazines are these days (I for one refuse to buy them anymore) could they be trusted to give an honest review ? or will the Fleabass advertising just be seen as another "income stream"
Mind you the feature I like on them is the "geared tuners" ?????

The green and pink is smart, but I'd go for the blue myself. I really hope they play as great as they look. I wouldn't personally be worried about the setup, I'll do that myself, but it would be different for a beginner I guess, it needs to play well off the wall in an ideal world.

Nice idea in theory. In fact Flea himself states that he won't let a single bass go out unless it's set up to a very high standard. Hmmm again, nice idea, but......in this big old commercial world, I'd be amazed if his "people" could manage that on [i]every[/i] model, depends how many they make I guess. We'll see.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='417199' date='Feb 23 2009, 09:49 AM']The proof of the pudding and all that !
But the way Bass magazines are these days (I for one refuse to buy them anymore) could they be trusted to give an honest review ? or will the Fleabass advertising just be seen as another "income stream"
Mind you the feature I like on them is the "geared tuners" ?????[/quote]

After chasing him for about 7 years(?) Flea is going to be in the next BGM. I wonder what changed his mind? ;)

[quote name='RussFM' post='420029' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:56 PM']I think at that price I'd rather wait for these: [url="http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/"]http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/[/url][/quote]

Trouble is, they could wind up being even more stupidly expensive for what is intended to be a "budget" (ish) instrument.

Exchange rates are making everything look like a bad deal over here lately... be interesting to see what price range they both eventually hit the UK market at though....

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='415722' date='Feb 20 2009, 07:46 PM']Don't mind the green body. I notice that the body isn't made of basswood so should sound pretty decent.
(I could be wrong about basswoodBTW as this seems to be on cheaper basses-correct me if I'm wrong :P )
I don't like the look of the neck or hardware tho' which imho does look cheap. ;)[/quote]

MM Bongos are made with a basswood body, as that worked best with the pickups and preamp that was developed for it.