Why become a member? ×

Recommend a decent bass amp for under £500

rasher80

Just looking for some advice from fellow BCers!

My current amp is an Ashdown MAG C115-300, and while i'm fairly happy with the sound, i'm heartily sick of lugging it up and down stairs in the rehearsal studio and generally round the place. It's a pain in the arse!

I'm looking to upgrade it at some point, but i'm not sure to what. I've played through plenty of different amps at gigs around Manchester, and to be honest, the more this happens, the less i like the MAG. I played a gig through a 210 Fender and the punch it threw out knocked my Ashdown into the weeds. I also played through a Hartke and wasn't too impressed.

I'm looking for better sound and portability first and foremost. I looked at the Genz Benz Shuttle but it's just a tad outside my price range - it'd be ideal though, transport wise. I started to think about getting a Little Giant, but to be honest i've always been a combo sort of guy so i don't know where to begin.

Anyone out there care to give me some advice?!

You're getting close to Markbass combo territory with your budget, but probably ever so slightly shy.

I'm ashdown to the core (a bit like a stick of rock - if you cut me in 2 you could read the letters ABM!) but I would never buy a Little Giant... not with the reviews they're getting and no valve in the preamp.

Edited by Bigwan

+1 to Markbass if you can stretch your budget a bit.

I used to gig with an Ashdown MAG combo like yours - and like you I got completely fed up with the weight.

I'm now using the Mark Bass Jeff Berlin combo and the weight difference is staggering. I can carry it with one hand, yet the power and sound is way ahead of the MAG. I always found the MAG a bit wolly - the Mark Bass is much clearer, more defined and punchier.

[quote name='rasher80' post='413999' date='Feb 19 2009, 10:58 AM']I looked at the Genz Benz Shuttle but it's just a tad outside my price range - it'd be ideal though, transport wise.[/quote]

There are a lot of happy Shuttle users on here.
The Shuttle 6 costs £459 delivered, from the Bass merchant and comes with a 3 year warranty.
That looks to be within your budget

P

The thing is, i'm a bit wet behind the ears with some of this stuff. I got the MAG C115-300 because it said it can pump out 307w, which i thought would be more than enough for anything i might care to try.

Now i'm under the impression that it can only do the full 307w if you hook up an extension cab, if you run it alone it can only do half that. So my 307w amp is really 150w or thereabouts. Right or wrong?

If this is the case, then i can definitely look at something a bit smaller, as it has plenty of volume to compete with drums, guitar and keys without maxing the input out.

I'm really liking the teeny-ness of the Shuttles now!

Loudness is measured in dB SPL, not watts. 180W into a 1x10" will struggle in most band contexts, whilst 180W into a 1x15" or 4x10" will be fine with many.

Most of that power (like 95%+) is lost as heat but the more sensitive your speaker cab, the more electrical power gets turned into acoustic output.

Alex

Years ago I changed rom combo-mode and got into separates.. I now have one head, Trace AH250SMX and a couple of cabs.
1x10 for small/acoustic, 2x10 for almost everything (great to see the face of Rock Players lugging the 8x10 at a festival gig :P and a 2nd 2x10 if I need to shake ornaments of the rack above the pub door. ;)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39309"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39309[/url] .. Mr.T. is selling a whole rig powered by one of these.

[quote name='rasher80' post='413999' date='Feb 19 2009, 10:58 AM']My current amp is an Ashdown MAG C115-300, and while i'm fairly happy with the sound, i'm heartily sick of lugging it up and down stairs in the rehearsal studio and generally round the place. I'm looking for better sound and portability first and foremost....[/quote]
Very little in your budget will be light, so I would do all of these....
[list=1]
[*]Find a rehearsal studio that provides backline.
[*]Get a dolly, with 3" wheels, or a folding ally trolley.
[*]Buy a good cab and use as an extension to the combo. Save up for a 300-500 watt amp, then save up for another cab to go with the other new one.
[/list]

Sounds like my portability problems are going to get worse instead of better! I'd only really consider a smaller combo or a head with a 115 or 212, anything less is a bit like overkill at the mo as i really don't need THAT much power.

Also, finding a decent recording studio in Manc with decent backline is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack!

But thanks for your help nevertheless!

Edited by rasher80

[quote name='Platypus' post='414079' date='Feb 19 2009, 11:49 AM']The Shuttle 6 costs £459 delivered[/quote]

Not no more it don't. It's gone up to £519 now. I paid £459 for mine last month, damn glad I did. I used to gig with a MAG 300 4x10, weighed a bleeding ton-I replaced it with a Trace 1x15 combo, which was in comparison was considerably louder and more compact IMHO. Now I'm delighted to say that with my current rig I can carry the amp over my shoulder in a laptop bag, and a speaker cab in each hand if needs be. Trouble is a shuttle and cab(s) works out a tad more expensive than your current budget will permit-I'd say it's well worth hanging on and saving up enough to do the job properly.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='417426' date='Feb 23 2009, 02:01 PM']Not no more it don't. It's gone up to £519 now. I paid £459 for mine last month, damn glad I did. I used to gig with a MAG 300 4x10, weighed a bleeding ton-I replaced it with a Trace 1x15 combo, which was in comparison was considerably louder and more compact IMHO. Now I'm delighted to say that with my current rig I can carry the amp over my shoulder in a laptop bag, and a speaker cab in each hand if needs be. Trouble is a shuttle and cab(s) works out a tad more expensive than your current budget will permit-I'd say it's well worth hanging on and saving up enough to do the job properly.[/quote]

So if you've gone from a MAG300 to a GB Shuttle, do you find that the GB can stand up next to the Ashdown? I mean, i don't need to to knock ornaments off mantlepieces in the houses across the street, but it does need to be able to compete with a 100w Marshall combo, drums and keys.

If it can do all that then i've GOT to get one

Edited by rasher80

i Know you said you didn't like Hartke, but well under budget and seems to fit your criteria?

[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=230&category_id=2"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.ph...p;category_id=2[/url]

Or, the Victor Wooten endorsed range (i believe) coming in right on budget:

[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=324&category_id=2"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.ph...p;category_id=2[/url]

Edited by GStar

[quote name='rasher80' post='417430' date='Feb 23 2009, 02:06 PM']So if you've gone from a MAG300 to a GB Shuttle, do you find that the GB can stand up next to the Ashdown?[/quote]

Stand up next to it? It [i]towers[/i] over the Ashdown. Absolutely sh*ts all over it. The 10-year-old Trace was a big improvement, but this thing just wipes the floor with it. Not only in volume but in sound quality too. At about the same weight as the box the Ashdown came in. Our guitarist uses a 50watt Marshall all-tube head through a 4x10, and we have to keep telling him to turn it up. Seriously, you have no worries in that department. I'm delighted with the thing.