Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz 1973 Vintage - stunning condition

Lysdexia

[quote name='gareth' post='486373' date='May 12 2009, 09:06 PM']+1 but I wonder if the seller, despite the wonderful photos, appreciates this?[/quote]

I did bring this up with the seller when the bass was first posted at this price! :)

Si

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='486657' date='May 13 2009, 09:44 AM']It sure is a lovely bass - and a great era for lightweight Jazzes - but this is almost certainly a '74 not a '73 due to the white, not black, blocks and the thumb rest being located on the E string side of the plate - both recognised '74 Fender Jazz appointments.
In the vintage bass market a refin is a refin; it's always been that way and always will unfortunately. People pay a premium for the originality of a bass and the finish (the body paint) is probably the most crucial element, irrespective of its actual condition.
Still, if you get the money you're asking then you'll done really well - Jimmy Moon did a beautiful job![/quote]

People pay a premium for a variety of reasons in my experience.

Some prefer the original state no matter what - I loathe beaten up guitars.

Other values include the increasing rarity (and hence the rising prices) the feel, the tone, the playability, genuinely vintage pups and tone circuitry and so on. For me the tone and playability always count highest - but I wouldn't be seen dead with a scabby looking bass. There's a '69 Jazz in at Moon's just now to be restored. To be honest - to suggest this mans artistry is a refinish makes a mockery of the work he does.

Some share my opinion - others very clearly don't. Nae bother.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='487198' date='May 13 2009, 07:52 PM']People pay a premium for a variety of reasons in my experience.

Other values include the increasing rarity (and hence the rising prices) the feel, the tone, the playability, genuinely vintage pups and tone circuitry and so on. For me the tone and playability always count highest - but I wouldn't be seen dead with a scabby looking bass. There's a '69 Jazz in at Moon's just now to be restored. To be honest - to suggest this mans artistry is a refinish makes a mockery of the work he does.

Some share my opinion - others very clearly don't. Nae bother.[/quote]

Sir that is the only sunburst bass I have ever liked the looked of ( in fact I'm refinishing mine one by one) so I hope you get a good price for it.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='487198' date='May 13 2009, 07:52 PM']People pay a premium for a variety of reasons in my experience.

Some share my opinion - others very clearly don't. Nae bother.[/quote]

Beutiful bass and girl and photo (as usual)

Remember me.....never did get that print mate.....

Good luck with the sale....

....awesome photo

again

[quote name='99ster' post='486273' date='May 12 2009, 06:28 PM']Yes. Unfortunately - refinishing a vintage guitar/bass [b]halves[/b] its market value. That's the law of the vintage guitar jungle. No matter how good the re-finish (& wow - that is a lovely looking re-finish!) that's what happens to its market value. That may not seem to make any sense - but that's the way it is.
:|[/quote]
That's a stupid thing to say, really. I don't have much experience in the vintage bass market (really i think it's a load of tosh), but surely it's worth whatever someone will pay for it. Why a beaten up old aria might be worth £50 and a beaten up old fender might be worth £3-4k makes no sense to me, i'd rather have a quality refin than something with half it's paint gone and covered in somebody else's sweat. But what do i know? I just buy a bass for how it plays and sounds :)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='487252' date='May 13 2009, 08:48 PM']That's a stupid thing to say, really.[/quote]

What ever your opinion of mojo'd/refin etc its obviously not a stupid thing to say - facts are facts and furthermore there would be no market for closet classics, roadworn etc basses if there were not a demand for older basses to look, well, old

[quote name='Clarky' post='487267' date='May 13 2009, 07:55 PM']What ever your opinion of mojo'd/refin etc its obviously not a stupid thing to say - facts are facts and furthermore there would be no market for closet classics, roadworn etc basses if there were not a demand for older basses to look, well, old[/quote]
Ah well, i've just never seen the point really! You wouldn't pay more for a rustbucket MGB than you would a nice shiny one!
And i didn't mean that to sound how it did, i just don't get how people can guage prices for these things like that

Edited by budget bassist

I think the whole 'new' vs 'mojo' is one of those horses for courses things. Sad but true on the value thing, doesn't make sense to me but there you go. Have a scabby looking Fender and it's 'Priceless' but a well worn early Status would likely be considered firewood (or fireplastic).

People who are looking at this bass as an 'investment' will probably shun it........I guess they'll be passing on a good looking, sounding and playing bass which IMHO is what it was originally designed for.

Err, we've been here before. Whatever my views on the sale price, this guy can advertise whatever he wants on this forum at whatever price he wants.

If you want to discuss it, go somewhere else and let him chat with potential buyers. If there are none, and the price comes down, that will be the market dictating it instead of a forum of people who've never seen or played the bass in person.

Just feel sorry for the guy. I had a similar experience recently where I advertised some DVDs for sale, only to get a really rude reply about how stupid I was for not checking their current price (on an offshore DVD site) and that I was an idiot for trying to rip people off by selling them for more than they were new.

Suffice to say that I had never seen this site and priced them based on their value in Zavvi.

His reply was short, and to the the point but ultimately I reduced the price of the DVDs.

[quote name='Clarky' post='487267' date='May 13 2009, 08:55 PM']What ever your opinion of mojo'd/refin etc its obviously not a stupid thing to say - facts are facts and furthermore there would be no market for closet classics, roadworn etc basses if there were not a demand for older basses to look, well, old[/quote]

I'll disagree - because the only relevant fact is the price agreed between a buyer and a seller. All else is opinion.

Peace my fellow bassmanics :)

[quote name='LALOUZZ' post='491448' date='May 18 2009, 03:07 PM']Hi there,

Nice bass. could you send me some detailed pictures of head stock, neck, neck joint, bridge without the cap and electronics?
From there I'll be able to come up with a good bid. You can mail the pict to [email protected]

Thanks a lot![/quote]

I'll do that for you - but I wont be able to photograph it until sometime tomorrow and get the pics up by weds - thanks for your interest.

[quote name='Rayman' post='491473' date='May 18 2009, 03:32 PM']Oh my lord..........that'd look very nice sat in the corner of my front room. Do you think the Mrs would see it as an investment?

Superb bass.........[/quote]

Hang a tea-tail on it, and say it's a useful piece of furniture :)

Great thanks, i'm a player not a collector. Looking forwards to the pics, please send them to my mail address as mentioned before. I'm not on this forum everyday!
Maybe you can mail me then your phone number so I can call you to make the deal. a lot faster.

Thanks

Edited by LALOUZZ

[quote name='LALOUZZ' post='491448' date='May 18 2009, 03:07 PM']Hi there,

Nice bass. could you send me some detailed pictures of head stock, neck, neck joint, bridge without the cap and electronics?
From there I'll be able to come up with a good bid. You can mail the pict to [email protected]

Thanks a lot![/quote]

Hi mate - as promised.

[quote name='Sibob' post='494948' date='May 22 2009, 10:35 AM']Is that picture completely straight on?

Si[/quote]

Nope - that and the invetable lens distortions make it look odd, but it's straight.

From a photogs manual:

[quote]The type of distortion that you're most likely to see in a wide-angle lens is rectilinear distortion. Rectilinear distortion simply means that straight lines aren't recorded as straight lines by the lens but rather they curve across the image.[/quote]

And there you have it :)

I was just thinking!
Fancy trading the 70's reissue bridge from my '73 for the original bridge on this one?
Seeing as you'd "priced the bass on the sound and playability", I didn't think you'd mind! :)

oh I'm naughty!
Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='495939' date='May 23 2009, 11:42 AM']I was just thinking!
Fancy trading the 70's reissue bridge from my '73 for the original bridge on this one?
Seeing as you'd "priced the bass on the sound and playability", I didn't think you'd mind! :)

oh I'm naughty!
Si[/quote]

Oh, that '73!
Fab.