Why become a member? ×

Best ROCK/PUNK Bass Head

Musicman20

Right...I seriously need to get sorted and buy a new head to go with my new cab.

My Trace is awesome, but im thinking TUBEEEE.

Or even just a newer version of my kinda head like Ampeg SVT-3 Pro.

Basically, what is going to growl like hell and be punchy for a hardcore punk band like mine?

I use P basses, MM Stingrays and hopefully a Jazz in the future.

TBH....Mark Bass probably wont do it for me, Ashdown have never been bright enough for me, Ive already got a Trace.

I was thinking Mesa or Ampeg. Ampeg would be nice. Despite all that american propaganda that USA is best at production (which is basically xenophobia) is it gonna have to be an Ampeg? Are they from now on gonna be Vietnam so its just the norm in a few years? Its basic worldwide economics....I dont blame them. Anyone tried a full tube nam head yet? Ive tried TWO SVT-3 Pros and they were sweet!

Cheers

Edited by Musicman20

Being in the UK, I'd even try a Marshall VBA400. It's quite cheap, and I guess you'll be able to find it in many shops quite easily.
400W though means it's going to be a bit hard to get it to overdrive :P
Then you may not like it, it's another kind of sound, compared to the Ampeg, but I'd give it a go anyway, no harm in trying it ;)

Edited by Boneless

I would say why not go for a SVT Classic or SVT2 Pro and tell it like it is!
The best sound I've heard to date was a Stingray straight into a SVT2 Pro straight into an 8x10.
It just sounded right ;)

P.S. it was Tony Barber sound checking with the Buzzcocks so I guess that covers the Punk/Rock element!

edit: added P.S.

Edited by jonthebass

[quote name='Musicman20' post='407971' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:01 PM']Is the 200W Orange loud enough? I know its diff with the tube heads.[/quote]

Loud enough for what exactly?

It's 200W of tube power. Yes it's f**king loud. If i wanted to, i could drown out my drummer, guitarist and singer.

Remember that you have 200W of (generally) CLEAN power.

The RMS value refers to the head's output with 1% (I think) THD (in other words, distortion).

This means that, when overdriving the head, you will have actually MORE power, and since I don't think you are looking for an "hi-fi" sort of tone, you won't mind some overdrive, will you? ;) Don't worry, you will have plenty of power at your disposal.

I actually think that 200W is THE perfect power for a tube amp. Enough power to get a clean tone in a quieter mix, and easy enough to overdrive.

Hey

I really need to try the Orange out. Has anyone got any soundclips? Ive heard the test demo from Orange on youtube but it doesnt really show it off.

Its between that, an Ampeg, or a Mesa 400+ if I can find one.

I used to like the hi fi sound...I still do...but it doesnt cut it for me through two massive stacks and a drummer. Gallien K sound great and precise...but I think id much prefer a traditional rock amp.

I use a Mesa 400+ and it a lovely loud valve amp and perfect for the punk & rock business.
It would certainly liven up that 8x10 as well!

Would agree with you that it should be an Ampeg or Mesa Boogie, but I've never heard an Orange amp so can't comment.
That's now on the 'to do' list ;)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='408509' date='Feb 13 2009, 01:03 PM']Hey

I really need to try the Orange out. Has anyone got any soundclips? Ive heard the test demo from Orange on youtube but it doesnt really show it off.

Its between that, an Ampeg, or a Mesa 400+ if I can find one.

I used to like the hi fi sound...I still do...but it doesnt cut it for me through two massive stacks and a drummer. Gallien K sound great and precise...but I think id much prefer a traditional rock amp.[/quote]

join the forum on the orange website, there's a thread with loads of souindclips on there

Just tried the Orange Bass Head. Basically, thats it. I cranked the gain quite high, tried a normal mexican jazz though it, pure TONE!

Through an 8x10 is just going to be huge. Orange really are impressive every time I try them out ;)

GOnna deposit that bad boy!

Edited by Musicman20