Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE METAL

josh3184

[quote name='Linus27' post='407363' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:08 AM']Is there actually a dedicated metal music channel on TV?? I know Kerrang have gone softer and do more mainstrean these days. Just wondering if there is pure metal music TV station???[/quote]

Not really, ROCKWORLD used to be pretty much pure metal but they have a lot of indie and acoustic stuff now. SCUZZ is still not really dedecated to metal or anything, although definetly an improvement on kerrap! Sadly since it's been snowing i've not been able to get a decent signal on scuzz, it's really affected by bad weather. Really the most metal thing you'll see on tv these days is probably headbanger's ball. If you can be arsed to stay up that late. In fact that's what got me into metal in the first place, when i was like 12 i stayed up and whatched HB on telly. 'Twas ace.

Edited by EdwardHimself

The pantheon of metal styles is evergrowing, some have been somewhat regrettable (Nu-Metal) but most continue to endure and evolve (Thrash, Death, Black, Grindcore).

You can literally put anything you want into a crossover with metal. Also the lines blur between metal and rock bands, look a Tool. They've got metal in there but they sound nothing like Slayer or Machine Head do they. All metal bands though.

[quote name='Josh' post='406799' date='Feb 11 2009, 06:45 PM']21 years ago to be precise.[/quote]

Almost spot on...

... I say almost, since the bass on ...and Justice for All (as well played as it is) is almost inaudiable.

So really it's more like 23 years, in which case I can't remember when Metallica weren't sh*te come to think of it. I did buy Master of Puppets in '88 or maybe it was '89 along with AJFA (two of my first ever records), but Cliff was long gone by then (not that Newsted is a bad bassist), and the other 3 had shown their disconcern for decent bass by then ;)

Then of course, by the time Newsted passed his initiation stage, the songwriting had gone down the sh*tt*r as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by redzombie

[quote name='redzombie' post='409212' date='Feb 14 2009, 02:32 AM']Almost spot on...

... I say almost, since the bass on ...and Justice for All (as well played as it is) is almost inaudiable.

So really it's more like 23 years, in which case I can't remember when Metallica weren't sh*te come to think of it. I did buy Master of Puppets in '88 or maybe it was '89 along with AJFA (two of my first ever records), but Cliff was long gone by then (not that Newsted is a bad bassist), and the other 3 had shown their disconcern for decent bass by then ;)

Then of course, by the time Newsted passed his initiation stage, the songwriting had gone down the sh*tt*r as far as I'm concerned.[/quote]

To be fair in terms of bass, Rob Trujilo is very talented, easily the best musician in the band.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='409313' date='Feb 14 2009, 11:23 AM']To be fair in terms of bass, Rob Trujilo is very talented, easily the best musician in the band.[/quote]

He is a very good bass player, but don't get me wrong I still think the rest of the band are very good musicians. Just a shame he joined once their song writing ceased to impress me, Suicidal and Infectious Grooves were pretty good though.

[quote name='dougal' post='409789' date='Feb 14 2009, 10:46 PM']Do we even class Maiden as metal any more? Where is the line drawn?

(I was big into my 80's speed / thrash, so I know which side of the line I fall).

Why has no-one accused metal of being too widdly / fast / image driven / repetitive yet?[/quote]

man thats oooooold metal. These days is not metal unless you can't hear what they're screaming into your face and are bleeding on you.

metal is such an undefinable genre now, can be ultra fast or ultra slow (funeral doom anyone), can be guttural roars or operatic singing, electronic samples or a full blown orchestra. Metal now really just encompasses a range of styles of extreme expression no matter what that sounds like and for me at least that is the point.

oh and check the pic of me and Alex Webster, dude is a god!

[attachment=20415:awcrop.JPG]

[quote name='d-basser' post='411610' date='Feb 16 2009, 11:45 PM']metal is such an undefinable genre now, can be ultra fast or ultra slow (funeral doom anyone), can be guttural roars or operatic singing, electronic samples or a full blown orchestra. Metal now really just encompasses a range of styles of extreme expression no matter what that sounds like and for me at least that is the point.

oh and check the pic of me and Alex Webster, dude is a god!

[attachment=20415:awcrop.JPG][/quote]
The end on the 'speed' is probably 'Drone' but I dunno if its metal...very odd,all the Sunn(o)))) stuff.

Winter were amazing...nice pic btw