Why become a member? ×

The GAS got me and I got me a P bass

Marky L

Well, it's been nagging me for a while and I've missed a few options recently, so I wasn't going to let this one go -

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260353247298"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260353247298[/url]

My limit was £900 and that seems to have been the reserve as well so.. uh.. it was destiny!!!

I just need to get a black scratchplate for it ASAP, so there'll be a P bass mirror plate for sale on here soon. Hope to collect it on Sunday (depending on the mental snow thing going on).. can't wait!

M.

Picking it up tomorrow all being well.
Had a chat to the seller and he's sold it to go towards a custom made bass.. by a luthier who's name I've forgotten. Anyway I asked him about the nut width and he reckons it's 40mm so that sounds reasonably slim for a P bass, is that a "B" width neck?

I explained to my better half that with the interest rates so low that and savings in the banks etc are just not making any useful growth, so I should put some funds into a classic instrument that will gain in price. She fixed me that look... well, I convinced myself anyway!!

Thanks for the comments too ;)

[quote name='Marky L' post='402975' date='Feb 7 2009, 06:16 PM']Picking it up tomorrow all being well.
Had a chat to the seller and he's sold it to go towards a custom made bass.. by a luthier who's name I've forgotten. Anyway I asked him about the nut width and he reckons it's 40mm so that sounds reasonably slim for a P bass, is that a "B" width neck?

I explained to my better half that with the interest rates so low that and savings in the banks etc are just not making any useful growth, so I should put some funds into a classic instrument that will gain in price. She fixed me that look... well, I convinced myself anyway!!

Thanks for the comments too ;)[/quote]

Yeah, keep it in good nick like it is now and it'll only go up in value!

[quote name='joe_bass' post='402446' date='Feb 6 2009, 10:16 PM']Wow that's a good price for an all original bar the scratch plate isn't it?![/quote]

I think it's a realistic price. There's a lot of 70's basses around for sale at silly money and I don't know how folk expect to sell them.

Congrats - markyl. You must be well pleased. I also reckon your financial ideas were sound so no need to convince yourself of anything. Enjoy playing your sound investment.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='403654' date='Feb 8 2009, 07:04 PM']I think it's a realistic price. There's a lot of 70's basses around for sale at silly money and I don't know how folk expect to sell them.

Congrats - markyl. You must be well pleased. I also reckon your financial ideas were sound so no need to convince yourself of anything. Enjoy playing your sound investment.[/quote]

Thanks Dr Dave. I'll tell her indoors that I have a doctor's agreement on my theory ;)

I am happy about the price (of course I'd liked to have paid as little as possible). I have been watching a few and it seems to be the right price. It's worn, got chips and scratches and a few tweaks need doing, but it just feels and sounds... right.

Not sure on the neck plate being original at this stage.