Why become a member? ×

Squiers...the bass of the moment

Guest MoJo

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='465565' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:45 PM']Hey, remember we're all only a stone's throw from Electro Music in Doncaster, one of the best in the country. Go there and ask for Dave Ryan. He'll sort you out :)[/quote]
+1 got my first ever warwick (streamer lx4) back in 98 and my first SWR rig from dave many moons ago, an absolute gent!! and a great shop - lee

Just noticed Pooles in Grimsby mentioned a few posts ago in this thread...

Dropped in there after finishing teaching earlier & played one of the Classic Vibe Jazzes... OMG! OMG! OMG! (Yes, it was THAT good!)

Now I've got one of the current Fender American Standard 09 jazz basses with the maple neck running through a Sadowsky preamp - Which is utterly excellent :) But if you're after the classic jazz sound, look no further than one of these. I was only playing it through a cheap Peavey amp & you could fly an airliner between the strings & fingerboard, but it really nailed the classic jazz sound better than anything I've heard or played in ages.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='469808' date='Apr 22 2009, 05:10 PM']I was only playing it through a cheap Peavey amp & you could fly an airliner between the strings & fingerboard, but it really nailed the classic jazz sound better than anything I've heard or played in ages.[/quote]

That can probably be corrected with a setup , a lot of the time music shops dont bother to set up their instruments which makes no sense to me

Regarding the sound , I saw the infamous Guitar world video of ed freidland comparing his Fenders to the Classic vibe basses and I gotta say I actually preferred the sound of the classic vibe jazz to his Fender jazz bass

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='markdavid' post='470383' date='Apr 23 2009, 08:54 AM']That can probably be corrected with a setup , a lot of the time music shops dont bother to set up their instruments which makes no sense to me

Regarding the sound , I saw the infamous Guitar world video of ed freidland comparing his Fenders to the Classic vibe basses and I gotta say I actually preferred the sound of the classic vibe jazz to his Fender jazz bass[/quote]

Yes, you're right on the Ed Friedland video. The vibe jazz did sound better. And yes, I know the bass needed setting up. If I'd had alan-keys in my suit pocket at the time, I'd have done it myself :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='471121' date='Apr 23 2009, 09:05 PM']Yes, you're right on the Ed Friedland video. The vibe jazz did sound better. And yes, I know the bass needed setting up. If I'd had alan-keys in my suit pocket at the time, I'd have done it myself :)[/quote]

I wasn't questioning that you knew the bass needed a setup I just thought it was worth mentioning as people do sometimes equate high action with cheap basses when all that is needed is a quick setup.

Im glad you agree with me about the ed freidland video , it shows my hearings not playing up after all :rolleyes:

[quote name='markdavid' post='471171' date='Apr 23 2009, 11:16 PM']I wasn't questioning that you knew the bass needed a setup I just thought it was worth mentioning as people do sometimes equate high action with cheap basses when all that is needed is a quick setup.

Im glad you agree with me about the ed freidland video , it shows my hearings not playing up after all :)[/quote]

Nope, definitely nothing wrong with your hearing. The custom shop jazz sounds decidedly muddier. The Squier sounds very Marcus Miller clear and zingy to me.

Rich.

I've got a VM 70s jazz, a VM jazz fretless & a CV jazz. Oh and a Deluxe 5 sting jazz.
They're all flipping killer, and the VM basses have been uber pimped to my specs.
The CV jazz & 5 string will be pimped when I can afford the sweet bits to go on them.

From a construction & playability point of view, they slay the competition. When my VM 70s jazz landed on my doorstep the action was so low I couldn't get my fingers under the G string to pop notes; not a hint of fret buzz either. Pure class!

Squier have really upped their game in the last few years, and I'm showing my approval by splashing the cash.

I did have one of the squier VM telebasses, which was also class. I didn't really have anywhere to anchor my plucking hand thumb on it, so I moved it on. It too was very nice.

I'd also like to point out that I bought all of these basses blind (mail order new, or secondhand from basschatters or off ebay) and never received a turd.
If you can't get to try one locally then I'd say risk buying one blind. Or bag one up from on here.

[quote name='12stringbassist' date='Apr 19 2009, 09:01 PM' post='467048']
I have a few Squiers and they are pretty good on the whole.

I like all 3 of those basses, probably prefer the 50s precision for looks.
Which gives the smoothest, deepest sound suitable for reggae, (I would fit high gauge flatwound strings)?

I had a bash on Warwickhunt's classic vibe Squire Jazz yesterday. Beautiful neck felt really played in, weight was spot on for a Jazz, only played it acoustically but it had a lovely ring to it that I'm sure would translate into a really focussed plugged in sound. If I was in the market for another Jazz, I'd be seriously tempted by one of these.

[quote name='redstriper' post='472899' date='Apr 26 2009, 08:06 PM'][quote name='12stringbassist' post='467048' date='Apr 19 2009, 09:01 PM']
I have a few Squiers and they are pretty good on the whole.[/quote]

I like all 3 of those basses, probably prefer the 50s precision for looks.
Which gives the smoothest, deepest sound suitable for reggae, (I would fit high gauge flatwound strings)?
[/quote]

I have responded to your PM.
Looking at the basses as supplied stock, without getting into switching out pickups:
The best one for reggae (for me) Would be the Precision Special (Try to get a standard one with US P/J pickups - it says 'standard' in tiny script on the headstock).
The 50's vibe bass is a truly sexy beast but the pickup is neither fish nor fowl in that it has a thick mid, to the exclusion of deep rumbling bass and much in the way of biting treble.

The VM Precision has a very LOUD bassy humbucker, which I had to lower flush to the body, it's THAT loud - and you will struggle to get any treble under any circumstances with it. Great for blues and possibly also for reggae, I guess, but while it sounds great, I always end up changing it after a couple of songs for something with a bit of graunch to it.

This one would be great for reggae:
My Fender Precision Lyte.

This one wouldn't be bad either:
Fender 60th anniversary P bass with s1 switching.

and I guess I use my USA 08 Jazz for that sound too.

............. but we're getting away from the Squiers now!

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='472993' date='Apr 26 2009, 09:53 PM']I have responded to your PM.
Looking at the basses as supplied stock, without getting into switching out pickups:
The best one for reggae (for me) Would be the Precision Special (Try to get a standard one with US P/J pickups - it says 'standard' in tiny script on the headstock).[/quote]

Thanks for the advice - maybe I'll just stick with my old jazz bass.
I only use the neck pup with the tone rolled off completely and I like the sound, just fancy a change.

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='472993' date='Apr 26 2009, 09:53 PM']The VM Precision has a very LOUD bassy humbucker, which I had to lower flush to the body, it's THAT loud - and you will struggle to get any treble under any circumstances with it. Great for blues and possibly also for reggae, I guess, but while it sounds great, I always end up changing it after a couple of songs for something with a bit of graunch to it.[/quote]

I'm still drawn by the VM P bass and expect it will have plenty of low end for my sound, I don't need any treble because I only play reggae.
I do like a very smooth tone though, without harsness or too much growl and I found the humbucker on the EB-0 too harsh.
Would you say the VM Precision is smooth sounding and what do you mean by 'graunch'?

If you want a lovely deep thumping bass, the VM is probably the one you need.
It's a very nice, sweet soft round bass tone with no 'clank' to it.
'Graunch' to me is a little bit of distorting / growling treble top end, when I play that bit harder.

Have look at the 'Money' video at [url="http://www.crazeeworld.plus.com/kerbcrawlers/pages/video.htm"]http://www.crazeeworld.plus.com/kerbcrawlers/pages/video.htm[/url]
There's a bit of farting about at the beginning and the depth of the Rickenbacker's tone isn't quite there,
because of the video camera mic limitations, but the graunch is!!!

:)

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='473548' date='Apr 27 2009, 04:44 PM']If you want a lovely deep thumping bass, the VM is probably the one you need.
It's a very nice, sweet soft round bass tone with no 'clank' to it.
'Graunch' to me is a little bit of distorting / growling treble top end, when I play that bit harder.

Have look at the 'Money' video at [url="http://www.crazeeworld.plus.com/kerbcrawlers/pages/video.htm"]http://www.crazeeworld.plus.com/kerbcrawlers/pages/video.htm[/url]
There's a bit of farting about at the beginning and the depth of the Rickenbacker's tone isn't quite there,
because of the video camera mic limitations, but the graunch is!!!

:)[/quote]

OK I get you now - graunch and clank are exactly what I don't want and I've spent a while eliminating all signs of both in my sound.
Smooth and deep with a bit of punch is more my thing and I think you're right - the Squire Vintage Modified Precision Bass TB with fat flatwounds looks like the one for me.
It's top of my list at the moment and I look forward to trying one at the next opportunity.

Thanks for the advice graunchmeister :rolleyes:

PS:
Don't suppose you want to sell yours...............?