Why become a member? ×

Mexican Or Squire

teaser360

Im looking to replace my bass, i have at the moment a almost new yamaha bb614, i love the bass to bits, its so comfortable to play, but im not a big lover of active bass's. Ideally I would like a Fender presicion but i cant really afford a genuine american, ive looked at new mexicans and i see a few squires around, i found a classic vibe 60s p bass squire and liked the look of it, but then i see the mexicans for a little more dosh, i know there not proper fenders but its all i can afford, and at least there not a copy as such, they are licenced through fender ( I think), what would your choice be? Mexican Or Squire? or if any body has any other ideas, but it must be a fender of some sort, NO JAZZ cos i dont like the shape of them, and no P**S taking im a new bass player and only started playing 18 months ago at the age of 43, see you can teach an old dog new tricks.
thanks guys any help info would be appreciated

[quote name='teaser360' post='399719' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:40 AM']and no P**S taking im a new bass player and only started playing 18 months ago at the age of 43, see you can teach an old dog new tricks.[/quote]

;) Won't get that here mate that's for sure!

Heard lots of good stuff about these new Squires so probably worth checking them out, you're right they are part of Fender. As for the Mexican basses nothing wrong with them, I had a Mexi jazz that was a little gem.

What is your budget?

Edited by joe_bass

[quote name='teaser360' post='399719' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:40 AM'], but it must be a fender of some sort, NO JAZZ cos i dont like the shape of them, and no P**S taking im a new bass player and only started playing 18 months ago at the age of 43, see you can teach an old dog new tricks.[/quote]

Good work mate, I have been playing for 13 years and own Jazzes and P's and have only just noticed there is a difference in shape :blush:

I'm (always) willing to stand corrected but you'll get a better (high mass) bridge with the Squier Classic Vibe. Plus the fact that it is a bonny looking P with its amber tinted neck. I doubt you'll be disappointed with either to be honest. It just depends how important to you having the F-word on your headstock is. Personally I'd go for the Squier, I don't give a monkey's what's printed on it, it's a seriously nice looking bass, a regular Fender Mex will look a little too clean and sterile for my tastes (although you will get a choice of body colour that way).

And welcome to the Jazz dislikers club. Choose Precision Bass for its ... umm ... precision ;) Seriously though, it's those thin necks I can't get on with, that and the wadge of chrome on the body.

I have a squier 50s and its a great bass. The quality is amazing for the money. I have no experience of a mex, it it compares very favourably to my CIJ precision.

If it bothers you, the biggest drawback is the name on the headstock, but I stopped worrying about this years ago.

What we should remember is in the 50s and 60s, when the 'great' guitars were made, technology was limited, and rechniques and materials were not as good as they are today. Fender had a factory, it wasnt a building full of great cratsmen, just a bunch of men and women making a product, and earning a living. No disrespect at all.

Today with CNC technology, there should be no reason to have anythining other than a first class product, and a CNC router doesnt care which country its situated in.

Some items may be compromised if they are made to a price, but the pickup looks good, the pots are reasonable, its even shielded, [although not brilliantly]

I am very tempted to add the 60s squier to my collection but there is a G&L on its way to me so I will have to wait.

If you love the BB, why not get the 414 passive version, you'll have two great basses there.

You'll get many different opinions to your question. Mine is, there's only one way to find a bass, and that's to play some. Find a precision you like the look, feel and sound of, that you can afford, and buy it, regardless of where it was made.

There are some superb Squiers about, there are also some crap ones. There are some superb U.S. made Precisions around, there are also some crap ones.

Forget where the bass is made, it really isn't important at all.

[quote name='teaser360' post='399719' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:40 AM']<snip> no P**S taking im a new bass player and only started playing 18 months ago at the age of 43, see you can teach an old dog new tricks.
thanks guys any help info would be appreciated[/quote]

;) no problems from me...i started bass in 1991 when i was 48...now i am 66
so the older the fiddle the better the tune....erm groove

had a look at those classic vibe models online and see they at least have a decent bridge

my tip is to try one in the shop and check the joint between neck and body that its a tight fit and then look over the paint and rest of the bass
if its ok i would suggest haggling for it based on internet prices as a bird in the hand ....they can vary in quality

QUOTE (teaser360 @ Feb 4 2009, 09:40 AM)
<snip> no P**S taking im a new bass player and only started playing 18 months ago at the age of 43, see you can teach an old dog new tricks.
thanks guys any help info would be appreciated

I've been playing for 22 years since 16, and I am still crap!

I suspect that there are plenty of 2nd hand Mexican Fender Precisions out there for the sort of money you want to pay, and if you are really lucky, you may be able to land a Japanese Fender P bass for less than £300.

Mex are fine, I've had two(Jazz) , and had no real complaints. If you can find a Japanese one, or a Squier silver series(also Jap) cheap, buy it and run away before the vendor realises his error!

Here is one without looking too hard:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-Black-Guitar-MIJ-Fender-Japan_W0QQitemZ230322056188QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item230322056188&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

and another

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Squire-Precision-Bass-Made-in-Japan-By-Fender_W0QQitemZ130285389105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item130285389105&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Squire-Precision-Bas...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Edited by Leowasright

Speaking from experience, the Mexican Fender's can be a bit of a hit and miss. I was looking for the Mexican Fender 70's re-issue Jazz and so tried the standard Mexican Fenders as a comparision. I had heard that the 70's re-issue Jazz was superb and as good a quality as the American models if not better in some cases. I have also heard this about the Mexican 50's re-issue Precisions. When I tried the standard Mexican Jazz and Precisions I found them horrible. Bland, dull and very generic. Nothing exciting at all. However, the 70's re-issue Jazz was outstanding. I even compared it to a Musicman in the shop and it played and sounded just as good, just different which it should. So I ended up buying it and I love it. I then compared it to my Musicman at home and it does sound as good.

I also have a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Fretless and that is also amazing. I did need to get it changed as the fret liners started crumbling and falling out after a month but my current one is excellent.

So, you need to go and try them and also decide on budget. My Mexican Fender 70's reissue Jazz was £430. The Squire Classic Vibes are only about £240 so quite a difference in price.

I recently bought a Squier Vintage Modified Precision for a little over £200 and it's excellent. Sounds great and (after a little setting up for my preferences) nice and easy to play. It also looks great in Olympic White with the black scratch plate. Seems well made too. I'd go for a Squier, definately!

+1 for the BB414.

I've had 3 now. Much nicer neck than a Precision IMHO. I've also had a Mexican Precision which must've been put together at the end of Friday's shift because it was a right crock of s**t. Mexican Fenders can be a bit hit and miss but I've [u]never[/u] had a bad Yamaha.

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='399844' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:04 PM']I'd definitely go for the Classic Vibe 60's Precision. I've got one and it's awesome apart from the totally gay sonic blue paint job! Neck is excellent, pickups are noisless with excellent output & it has the vintage tuners & a much better high-mass bridge. What's not to like?

Rich.[/quote]

I love that baby blue colour ;) Not sure I am brave enough to own one though :P:)

All good advice on here so far. In particular I have played excellent Mex Fenders (my Mex P is great) but I've also played some aweful ones. The Squiers do seem to have a better reputation for consistency.

I'm not sure of your budget, but if you're looking at a new Mex Fender, you might want to have a look at buying a used Japenese Precision. They are consistenly good, and crop up on here pretty regularly.

[quote name='Leowasright' post='399810' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:24 AM']Here is one without looking too hard:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-Black-Guitar-MIJ-Fender-Japan_W0QQitemZ230322056188QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item230322056188&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

and another

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Squire-Precision-Bass-Made-in-Japan-By-Fender_W0QQitemZ130285389105QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item130285389105&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Squire-Precision-Bas...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url][/quote]

Hey Carefull thats in Japan
Dont forget shipping plus 22% roughly duties makes this a lot more expensive than it looks

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='399844' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:04 PM']I'd definitely go for the Classic Vibe 60's Precision. I've got one and it's awesome apart from the totally gay sonic blue paint job! Neck is excellent, pickups are noisless with excellent output & it has the vintage tuners & a much better high-mass bridge. What's not to like?

Rich.[/quote]
actually i quite like the blue paint, i just dont want a black one, ive had to many black bass's

I havn't actually got a budget, but i was hoping to flog my yam and then purchase a squire/mex p bass, if theres anyone on here who would like to trade give me a shout, that way we could try both bass out. My band are getting a few gigs these days so the pocket money that im saving up should help towards my purchase, Thanks for all the advise, much appreciated and taken in, looks like i will be looking for a squire, as far as whats on the headstock it doesnt really matter to me but if it says fender then all the better, afterall looks are all accounted for when your on stage, and you have hundreds of people watching you lol

You must get away from the "not a proper Fender" way of thinking. The Mexican Fenders I have are every bit as good as the USA Fenders I owned years ago, maybe better. It really doesn't matter where they are made any more. Even having the choice, I sometimes gig my Squier. Why? It's a damned good bass, by ANY standards.

Bang for buck in my opinion is the Japanese stuff. I've had a couple and they are faultless. I have no experience of Mexican built but I have of US built. At the end of the day a US built is always going to be deemed as a 'proper' one, however I have played a couple of US made dogs. So it isn't garaunteed to be better.

I currently have a Jap (MIJ) p bass that is a real keeper and I would challenge anyone who thought they could prove differently. I actually chose that over a US one that a friend had. I would definately recommend Japanese from my experience. Also the Japanese stuff appears to hold its money so they are a safe bet.

Si.