Why become a member? ×

Markbass TA 503

AngeR

hello!
Last week I've tried some combos and heads Markbass. I was stunned with the sound of their products!
I'm thinking get one Markbass TA 503 but I've never tried one (the specifications are what I'm looking for).

anyone has or have tried one? or another Markbass head?

This brand is very nice so I may consider buy another one (if this head doesn't worth it).

Suggestions are welcome! ;)

[url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=1&vedi=65"]http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua...t=1&vedi=65[/url]

Thanks!

PS: sorry the bad english! lol I'm portuguese...

[quote name='AngeR' post='398543' date='Feb 3 2009, 01:36 AM']hello!
Last week I've tried some combos and heads Markbass. I was stunned with the sound of their products!
I'm thinking get one Markbass TA 503 but I've never tried one (the specifications are what I'm looking for).

anyone has or have tried one? or another Markbass head?

This brand is very nice so I may consider buy another one (if this head doesn't worth it).

Suggestions are welcome! ;)

[url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=1&vedi=65"]http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua...t=1&vedi=65[/url]

Thanks!

PS: sorry the bad english! lol I'm portuguese...[/quote]

Nice Avatar, had to look twice!

Played on one yesterday ;)

Not so far away from my sa450 to be honest - I didnt AB them and couldnt tell you any startling difference in tone that stood out for me. Has an even more powerful eq section (4 sweepable eq bands rather than 2) though if thats important to you.

I'd recommend the sa450, LMII, LMK, or the ta5## to anyone though, so you might be asking the wrong guy :P

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='398836' date='Feb 3 2009, 12:47 PM']Nice Avatar, had to look twice![/quote]

photoshop... eheh

the graphic EQ is similar to mesa boogie M-pulse... I like this system but I don't know if the 2 pot's for the EQ (like the TA 501) can do a nicer job.

may be stupid my question but, those plastic pots are resistent? they seem to me so fragile.

Before I spend my money, i wanna take a ride on this beauty... a very long ride... eheh

It's a nice choice?

Thanks guys!

I bought a TA503 about 2 years ago and I love it - loads of tone and punch. I matched with the markbass 151HF and 210p cabs and my tone really punches through the mix. It's very well built and sturdy - I keep it in a laptop bag in the bands locker and it's not suffered any damage.

Although I do have to admit I went from a 15 year old battered Peavey combo and bought it off the net without trying anything else out so I can't honestly compare it to equivilent gear.

There are some new MB heads coming out very soon and these also have a tube preamp.
Might be worth having a look at these although i dont think we know exactly when they will be available.

Ive been using a LMII and SA450 for a few years now but MB are bringing out versions of these with the tube pre amp in them.
I cant wait. They sound nice and warm already but with the tube they will sound even better (i hope)

I used a TA503 for a couple of years. It was great amp, loads of control over your sound with that EQ. When I bought my first Markbass amp, an LMK, I was tempted with the TA503 but was put off by the price tag, coupled with a lot of people saying the sound difference was not that noticeable. To be honest, I wish I'd gone with the TA503 to begin with because I really could hear the difference. That valve pre-amp gives a warmer, more organic tone and the semi-parametric EQ is simply awesome. I found the semi-parametric EQ to be very useful at gigs for correcting nasty low-mids.

I generally found that I'd dial in a punchy hi-mid sound, a little percussiveness from the high control, some fat rounded tones from the low control and like I said, use the low mid for correctional EQ. But this is of course just one way of using that kind of EQ, there are so many possibilities.

Like a couple of other guys have mentioned, I'd recommend trying out these amps first, and try to get some volume out of them too. Depending on how loud you play, you'll notice that the TA503 doesn't kick in with this kind of natural compression when the volume is up to around 11 o'clock.