Why become a member? ×

Flat wounds on an acoustic bass guitar

Pookus

I'm after a different sound for my acoustic bass guitar. I have phosphur bronzes on at the mo but want something tonally softer - flat wounds? Years ago I dabbled with some "ground wounds" but haven't seen these for a while. Advice would be appreciated. Cheers, Jamie

[quote name='The Burpster' post='397207' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:29 PM']1/2rounds are still available.... Flats sound really nice on an accoustic, just make sure it can deal with the added tension.

I use nylon wound flats on mine which give an 'upright' kinda tone.....[/quote]

Sorry for being dense. How do you know if it can take the extra tension?

[quote name='Maxcat' post='397347' date='Feb 1 2009, 10:44 PM']Sorry for being dense. How do you know if it can take the extra tension?[/quote]

Not very helpful, but if the neck snaps, then it couldn't take it.

Seriously though, some flats exert more tension than others. I have limited experience with flats, but I wouldn't get Rotosound flatwounds - I found them so tense I could hardly move them while playing!

[quote name='neepheid' post='397686' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:21 AM']Not very helpful, but if the neck snaps, then it couldn't take it.[/quote]

it's not the neck that's the problem... excessive tension would pull the bridge or soundboard off before the neck snapped... or else you would run out of adjustment on the truss rod.

From what I can tell on the web, an acoustic guitar (and by corollary bass) would only really have problems if left in a car out in the sunshine. The excessive heat would then cause the glue between the bridge and top to slacken and the bridge to separate from the top or else the top pulls away from the internal bracing spreaders...

this will happen with normal "as supplied" strings if you leave it in a hot car.

[url="http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/care.htm"]http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/care.htm[/url]
[quote]"Excessive heat can soften glue joints and allow things to slide around. One of the most common predicaments I see on flattop guitars as a result of excessive heat is a sliding bridge. Once heated the bridge can lift or actually begin to slide towards the soundhole, scrunching the paint as it slides and twisting the bridge pins into a crooked shape. And while this is easily spotted there are other areas of the instrument that can be adversely affected as well. Frets, neck joints, braces and literally anywhere glue is used can be affected in a way that is difficult to reverse."[/quote]

I have no idea where this "Old Wives Tale" has originated from that thou shalt not fit flats to an acoustic bass... apparently, on Basstalk, someone once did it and their bass broke... I personally suspect the bass was left in a hot car and he/she blamed the flatwounds rather than their own stupidity for leaving it in the car.

It's rather amusing, as a lot of posts there tell you to fit flats for a fretless acoustic bass, but not to a fretted acoustic bass as it'll break it... which is daft, as the only difference in construction is the lack of frets and the different fingerboard material, the bridge and soundboard is the same. My bass is available in two different versions, fretted and fretless, the only difference is the lack of frets.

If you're worried about voiding your warranty, well then, wait until the warranty expires before fitting tapewounds.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='397708' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:43 AM']it's not the neck that's the problem... excessive tension would pull the bridge or soundboard off before the neck snapped... or else you would run out of adjustment on the truss rod.

From what I can tell on the web, an acoustic guitar (and by corollary bass) would only really have problems if left in a car out in the sunshine. The excessive heat would then cause the glue between the bridge and top to slacken and the bridge to separate from the top or else the top pulls away from the internal bracing spreaders...

this will happen with normal "as supplied" strings if you leave it in a hot car.

[url="http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/care.htm"]http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/care.htm[/url]

I have no idea where this "Old Wives Tale" has originated from that thou shalt not fit flats to an acoustic bass... apparently, on Basstalk, someone once did it and their bass broke... I personally suspect the bass was left in a hot car and he/she blamed the flatwounds rather than their own stupidity for leaving it in the car.

It's rather amusing, as a lot of posts there tell you to fit flats for a fretless acoustic bass, but not to a fretted acoustic bass as it'll break it... which is daft, as the only difference in construction is the lack of frets and the different fingerboard material, the bridge and soundboard is the same. My bass is available in two different versions, fretted and fretless, the only difference is the lack of frets.

If you're worried about voiding your warranty, well then, wait until the warranty expires before fitting tapewounds.[/quote]

Thanks everyone including neepheid ;)

[quote name='neepheid' post='397686' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:21 AM']Not very helpful, but if the neck snaps, then it couldn't take it.

Seriously though, some flats exert more tension than others. I have limited experience with flats, but I wouldn't get Rotosound flatwounds - I found them so tense I could hardly move them while playing![/quote]

That's exactly what happened to my lovely Tacoma. Put Rotosound flats on and the necks a bit goosed at the minute. Taking a trip to Ged Green the local luthier to sort.

And I didn't leave it in the sun, or the car

Edited by Gloria stits