Why become a member? ×

How do I wire this jack?

Rexel Matador

I ordered a mono one, but it has three terminals. Can I use it as a mono jack? The seller's post also has a picture of one with four terminals, which would lead me to believe that that is the stereo option. Some googling suggests to me that there is a sleeve (the big one on the outside, I assume), a tip, and an aux terminal for switching. Of the latter two, how do I know which is which (one is longer than the other)?

20200129_201114.thumb.jpg.016cff16d5917468b0b3303469452b9a.jpg

Thanks!

My guess would be that the big one on the outside is the sleeve, the shortest of the other two is the tip and the other one is the ring, for either stereo or for switching on an active circuit. One way to check is with a multimeter, have you got access to one? If you plug a lead into it, you can check continuity between the tip on the free end of the lead and the tags on the socket.

15 minutes ago, pete.young said:

My guess would be that the big one on the outside is the sleeve, the shortest of the other two is the tip and the other one is the ring, for either stereo or for switching on an active circuit. One way to check is with a multimeter, have you got access to one? If you plug a lead into it, you can check continuity between the tip on the free end of the lead and the tags on the socket.

Thanks! I do have a multimeter, and I thought there might be a multimeter based solution, I just didn't know what to look for!

So just to make sure I've understood correctly - once I've identified which one is the tip, can I just wire it as a normal mono jack and leave the ring with nothing attached?

1 hour ago, Rexel Matador said:

Thanks! I do have a multimeter, and I thought there might be a multimeter based solution, I just didn't know what to look for!

So just to make sure I've understood correctly - once I've identified which one is the tip, can I just wire it as a normal mono jack and leave the ring with nothing attached?

Yes, that's what you need to do.

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

@pete.young is spot on. They don't make mono barrel jack's. A multimeter is your friend here or if you can wait until tomorrow I'll meter one of my spares.

From memory, the smallest tag is tip and largest sleeve.

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/1-4-inch-long-threaded-barrel-input-jack-switchcraft-151-mono