Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Sub-harmonics

Apex

Finally taken the plunge and bought a new Mag 300 head. Picked it up from Reverb in Bristol this morning. (They were prepared to match the best web price, but I was presented with a non-packaged amp with used power lead and no documentation. Although they denied it was an ex-display item they have ordered me a new one which I can pick up (again!) [i]next [/i]week. I have the use of the original one until it comes.)

Back on topic - I don't have much experience of the sub-h generator, but is it normal for it 'kick in' quite audibly about half a second after the note sounds? I did try it out on the demo in the shop last week and don't recall hearing this, but then a shop environment with some guy 20feet away shredding the guts out of a guitar doesn't really help in the subtlety department! ;)

Do I need to point out to Reverb that its faulty, or is this how it is supposed to work? Perhaps I haven't got it set up correctly.

well ive had this head for 2 years and its done me well. Its only just bust and im now w8ing for repair parts (which is taking agessssss)

more to the point. it depends on how loud u have it. I usually grandually ease it in which may help

I ply quite heavy music so i neva used this option but whn plyin around i do this use this option

hope this helps

[quote name='josh3184' post='396415' date='Jan 31 2009, 08:37 PM']yeah, tbh if you want that sort of effect, get a pedal for it, its a gimic at best imo, I know that I found it tough to think of a useable situation for it.
Saying that, I had a Mag300 for a while and its a pretty decent amp, so good buy methinks[/quote]

You're right, and it wasn't the reason I went for it. I liked the tone and the flexibility of both being able to drop the eq out quickly and also the couple of Bright and Deep eq settings. which give me a reasonable set of quick changes of tone when doing covers. A footswitch would be even better but the budget didn't get me into the ABM range new, and - with the comments on here about Ashdown reliability I wasn't too keen on 2ndhand.

[quote name='Apex' post='396438' date='Jan 31 2009, 08:55 PM']You're right, and it wasn't the reason I went for it. I liked the tone and the flexibility of both being able to drop the eq out quickly and also the couple of Bright and Deep eq settings. which give me a reasonable set of quick changes of tone when doing covers. A footswitch would be even better but the budget didn't get me into the ABM range new, and - with the comments on here about Ashdown reliability I wasn't too keen on 2ndhand.[/quote]
i hardly use mine on my abm,couldnt notice much difference with it on or not,pre 07 abms are usually pretty reliable as are the new ones,it was when ashdown first shipped prouduction to the prc that they had a few problems ie april 07.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='396608' date='Feb 1 2009, 03:30 AM']The octaver doesn't track very low. Its ok if you play above the 12th fret, or roll off tone, but it glitches and kicks in slowly with lower notes. Its not great.[/quote]

+1 I use it to thicken (not sure if thats the right world) higher notes, not much use on lower frets.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='397060' date='Feb 1 2009, 05:53 PM']Yep! I think some of their amps actually come with them now...[/quote]

Yep mine has it. I have no use for the sub-harmonics though. If the knob catches my eye I'll turn it on for 30 seconds and mess about with it before grumbling how pointless it is and turning it off ;)

Thanks for the input everyone. Glad that it's not just me finding it a waste of a good knob! ;)

As I'm due to get an absolutely factory fresh one shortly (as fresh as anything that's come from China without being deep frozen, that is!) I'll be able to see for myself if s-harmonic uselessness is a design trait! I'm depressingly sure you're all right. Glad it wasn't the one feature that sold the amp to me!!!

Funny - I use my sub harmonic quite a lot. It depends largely on the acoustics of where I'm playing. I too use it to thicken the sound. It may not be as effective with smaller cabs, (I have a mighty 8x10!) so it sounds incredible with just a little dialed in. I like it!

I used to think it was a total waste of time myself. Listen to Pino for tips on how an octave divider should be used. Sure it seems useless until you pull some fancy fill and the bottom drops out of the whole band...