Why become a member? ×

weird tele/51 precision..

ogri

hullo fellow humans,
i bought a bass today because it played and looked and sounded lovely, and came up second hand at what i thought was a good price..its a telecaster or 51 precision bass i think, but strangely, doesnt have either the single pick up of a 51, or the humbucker looking pick up of a tele, its got standard precision pickups(the kind that look like two piggy backing but are actually one)..other clues..its not that old, got spaghetti fender precion bass on the headstock and is a gringo(made in mexico), its very heavy, got pukka alnico magnets in the p/u's, has got a badass2 brige that is fitted as standard and its in a sort of tv yellow with white scratchplate. also it sounds proper, very warm and not too toppy..any ideas what model it is guys? ive never seen one like this before :-)
thanking you..oh, and im going to try myhand at putting a pic on..

[quote name='ogri' post='395739' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:07 PM']hullo fellow humans,
i bought a bass today because it played and looked and sounded lovely, and came up second hand at what i thought was a good price..its a telecaster or 51 precision bass i think, but strangely, doesnt have either the single pick up of a 51, or the humbucker looking pick up of a tele, its got standard precision pickups(the kind that look like two piggy backing but are actually one)..other clues..its not that old, got spaghetti fender precion bass on the headstock and is a gringo(made in mexico), its very heavy, got pukka alnico magnets in the p/u's, has got a badass2 brige that is fitted as standard and its in a sort of tv yellow with white scratchplate. also it sounds proper, very warm and not too toppy..any ideas what model it is guys? ive never seen one like this before :-)
thanking you..oh, and im going to try myhand at putting a pic on..[/quote]

Which USA bassist is playing something like that at present ;)

aaah...signature models..of course..

thanks guys

you know that thing, where just a few minutes after you asked a stupid question, you really really wish you hadnt and know you will be remembered for it eternally..;-)

mr dirnt is a good geezer, ive always loved the look and attitude of a tele bass, to have one with a standard precision tone and lovely slim jazz neck is genious imho

it will be tried out properly at tomorrow nights gig an me trusty jazz will be having a well earned rest

thanks again blokes

[quote name='Beedster' post='395747' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:15 PM']Which USA bassist is playing something like that at present ;)[/quote]

[quote name='yorick' post='395753' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:21 PM']Sounds like the Mike Dirnt sig model. Bass player with Green Day.[/quote]

[quote name='Linus27' post='395756' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:23 PM']Damn, you beat me by one minute :P[/quote]

Beat you both :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='395789' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:03 PM']You're not allowed to enter.....

Ex-P owners are not allowed to comment....

:P[/quote]

In my defence:

1. I still have a '78
2. I now have a real man's bass (Telecaster). Moving from P to T is the the low-end equivalent of a move from from Jen to Angelina ;)

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='395796' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:11 PM']In my defence:

1. I still have a '78
2. I now have a real man's bass (Telecaster). Moving from P to T is the the low-end equivalent of a move from from Jen to Angelina ;)

C[/quote]

Hark!, is that your missus screaming at you for not packing the china?

T bass is a P bass V1.1, really
:P

[quote name='Beedster' post='395796' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:11 PM']In my defence:

1. I still have a '78

C[/quote]
more like sarah palin to anne widdecomb :P

Edited by Kev

[quote name='ogri' post='395739' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:07 PM']hullo fellow humans,
thanking you..oh, and im going to try myhand at putting a pic on..[/quote]

That's not a weird tele/precison - the Mike Dirnt's are cracking basses! Very, very underatted IMO.

[quote name='simon1964' post='395842' date='Jan 30 2009, 11:22 PM']That's not a weird tele/precison - the Mike Dirnt's are cracking basses! Very, very underatted IMO.[/quote]
yup, its a good bit of kit alright.
gigged it sat night, and the bloke who owned it before was there, told me he'd had it three years.
i found this very reassuring, as the first thing i did when you guys told me what it was, was checked out all the online reviews, and it seemed you either got a really good one, or occasionally a really bad one, something i had already associated MIM basses with (perhaps unfairly).. any problems i had read about with the "tequila tuesday" ones had manifested fairly early on, so hopefully this one is as good as it looks. build quality and finish are really, really good, but the best thing is the tone, now ive had a chance to play it loud, through a decent rig(id only heard it in the local music shop where it was a customers private sale and at home thru me practice amp)
with my limited tech knowledge, i'd hazard a guess that its a combination of the bulk and solidity of the un contoured slab ash body, the badass2 bridge, and mostly.. the Custom Vintage 59 Split Single-Coil Pickup..all in all, i'd deffo recommend this bass to anyone.
bad bits so far..only one really, its a good job it sounds brilliant with vol and tone both set at eleven(no, this one goes up to eleven..;-)), because with the tone set back the other way, it just sounds plain weird, sort of hollow if you know what i mean.
anyway, i love it, and unless this bloody depression makes it even more difficult to survive as a builder than it is doing now(1 days work last week :-( )its a keeper.

[quote name='ogri' post='397245' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:58 PM']yup, its a good bit of kit alright.
gigged it sat night, and the bloke who owned it before was there, told me he'd had it three years.
i found this very reassuring, as the first thing i did when you guys told me what it was, was checked out all the online reviews, and it seemed you either got a really good one, or occasionally a really bad one, something i had already associated MIM basses with (perhaps unfairly).. any problems i had read about with the "tequila tuesday" ones had manifested fairly early on, so hopefully this one is as good as it looks. build quality and finish are really, really good, but the best thing is the tone, now ive had a chance to play it loud, through a decent rig(id only heard it in the local music shop where it was a customers private sale and at home thru me practice amp)
with my limited tech knowledge, i'd hazard a guess that its a combination of the bulk and solidity of the un contoured slab ash body, the badass2 bridge, and mostly.. the Custom Vintage 59 Split Single-Coil Pickup..all in all, i'd deffo recommend this bass to anyone.
bad bits so far..only one really, its a good job it sounds brilliant with vol and tone both set at eleven(no, this one goes up to eleven..;-)), because with the tone set back the other way, it just sounds plain weird, sort of hollow if you know what i mean.
anyway, i love it, and unless this bloody depression makes it even more difficult to survive as a builder than it is doing now(1 days work last week :-( )its a keeper.[/quote]

Nice review .. Maybe you should post this in the reviews section?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=58"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=58[/url]

1. I still have a '78

C[/quote]

I am clearly more a Jen than an Angelina as my 77 P was much nicer than my 73 T :P:)

I wish I'd never sold mine. I bought it having never seen one before, and two months later read a great review (which said their review copy was the first in the country!). The build quality wasn't great, the fret work could have been better, but it played well and sounded amazing, just too heavy for long practices and I ended up selling it for something lighter. If I ever see a good quality sunburst version the credit card will be out of my wallet faster than a Billy Sheehan solo!!