Why become a member? ×

ACG 9 STRING - COMPLETED

7string

Today I drove the 60 miles to Moffat to collect a bass which Alan and I first discussed at the end of 2006.

After many e-mails, and a few months of throwing ideas back and forth, we came up with the spec which has evolved into this instrument.

Basic Specs:

9 strings
35" scale
Swamp ash body with mahogany top and wenge accent
Mahogany headstock facing with a wenge backplate
Maple/wenge neck with wenge transition plate
Bookmatched, acrylicised, spalted maple fingerboard
Hipshot hardware. piezo in bridge
ACG pickups and EQ-01 preamp
Serial/Parallel switching
Neck or Piezo switch
Low battery indicator

This is the result of many, many hours on Alan's (ACG) part and to him I extend my sincerest thanks and congratulations on producing such a fine instrument.

These aren't the greatest pics, but hopefully they will give an idea of how great this ERB is!!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='395039' date='Jan 29 2009, 11:04 PM']Well done sir!

Again, not a massive fan of erbs (used to be many years ago as a yoof!) but that is a stunning piece - love the fingerboard! What strings are you using? Look like the old Superwounds![/quote]

Thanks. The fingerboard is so great. It looks rough, but is baby-butt smooth :P

Strings come from S.I.T. in the USA, they're one of the only companies that package 9 string sets. I did have some luck finding that Dean Markley guitar strings were long enough for the 34" scale 7 string, but with the extra scale length here they might not work. Not a problem to get strings anyway.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='395042' date='Jan 29 2009, 11:08 PM']Again, as a sixer I could cope with this, but it has three strings too many for me to handle ;)

Lovely looking bass, though. Stunning woods as well. Congrats!

Rich.[/quote]

Larry at Gallery Hardwoods supplied the top and the fingerboard and the 'brother' fingerboard to this one is on an ACG 4 string headless which is in the "Build Diary" section. Alan and Larry have a great understanding which is great for ACG's customers. There's a selection of woods and fingerboards in the ACG part of Basschat under "Affiliates". I'd love the 'alien' box elder on a Finn 5 string, but my buying days are over for the foreseeable future. :)

The jump from a 7 to a 9 really isn't that bad and I'm sure that you would be able to handle 9 strings not problem at all. There's no real magic to it (I could say that there are only certain, incredibly skilled players can play the 9, but I'd be lyin' through me teef :huh:).

Geez Mark that bass is a belter!
That is easily one of the nicest looking boutique basses I have ever seen in my life!
It's up there with anything Fodera have ever produced.
You must be one happy punter and credit to Alan's incredible luthiery too.

Can't wait to hear some sound clips of it ;)

Now stop reading this and go play your new bass! :P

Cheers,
Eude

Cheers, Eude. I'm on a lunchbreak at the moment, more playing later.

It's an amazing looking bass, but it's still subtle. The closer you look, the more detail you see. I'm indeed one happy punter and Alan has done an simply incredible job ;)

What it does show as well is the links that Alan has with his suppliers. This not only means great materials and hardware, but bespoke pickups and preamp as well. Couple the background work that makes these elements available with Alan's ever-increasing skills as a luthier makes something that defines ACG basses....

...and in the bass world getting your own definable character is a difficult thing to do.

[quote name='7string' post='395374' date='Jan 30 2009, 01:29 PM']What it does show as well is the links that Alan has with his suppliers. This not only means great materials and hardware, but bespoke pickups and preamp as well. Couple the background work that makes these elements available with Alan's ever-increasing skills as a luthier makes something that defines ACG basses....

...and in the bass world getting your own definable character is a difficult thing to do.[/quote]

Well put mate!
It's getting closer to my pay review with work, so finger crossed I might have myself a wee ACG in the works soon.

I noticed that you have exposed cores on some of your lower strings, how does that effect the open string?

Oh and I'd be well up for a Glasgow Bass Bash too, I'm sure I could wrench myself over from the East Coast for such a glorious occasion ;)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='395381' date='Jan 30 2009, 01:38 PM']Well put mate!
It's getting closer to my pay review with work, so finger crossed I might have myself a wee ACG in the works soon.

I noticed that you have exposed cores on some of your lower strings, how does that effect the open string?[/quote]

Take your boss in a nice cake to go with their morning coffee. Could be worth a try :P

I think the exposed core makes intonation adjustment easier, but I haven't noticed any real sonic difference between the exposed core strings and the others.

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='395422' date='Jan 30 2009, 02:26 PM']I've been really impressed by Alan's level of luthiery of late. He's producing some fantastic stuff and those impregnated boards really set him apart from the crowd.[/quote]

I quite agree. I don't completely understand the acrylicising process, but it results in some pretty amazing 'boards. More importantly though, the 'boards are really smooth and make a great playing surface.

[quote name='d-basser' post='395715' date='Jan 30 2009, 08:44 PM']that is truly one of the loveliest things I have seen. Scottish bassbash is gonna have to be done, I'll bring my dingy and sei.[/quote]

I say you have to get out more ;)

A Glasgow bass bash is a great idea, anyone want to organise it?

[quote name='7string' post='395813' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:31 PM']My wife caught me unawares earlier. Please excuse the mixture of sweat and mess ;)

[/quote]So that's how you play a 9 string, by having a extra finger along the underside if the fingerboard, (look at 1st photo).

I can't believe Alan has made 30 odd stunning basses in just 2 years.

This one is incredible.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='396380' date='Jan 31 2009, 08:02 PM']I'm sorry, this is lost on me, there is no doubting the craftsmanship and the concept, but I fail to see the practicality of such a monster, call me a four sting hethan, but any more strings than that is clearly a Harp! Am I alone?[/quote]

I agree, amazing craftsmanship but not a practical bass.

I respect your point of view and understand that these ERB things are not for everybody.

I would like to explain how I got to the 9 though:

I've been playing bass since 1988 and moved to a 6 string fretless bass in 1998. I got a Conklin Groove Tools 7 string bass through eBay in 2002. I bought both of these basses because I saw players who were using them (Marco Mendoza and Bill Dickens respectively). When I moved to the 6, I found that if I thought of it as a 4 string with extra strings that it made things a lot easier. Same thing 4 years later with the 7 string.

In the band I was in at the time, I was able to trade solos with the guitarist and use the upper range of the 7. For the other 90% of the time, I was singing the songs and playing bass, locking in with the drummer and making the songs groove along.

Over time, I got so used to playing the 7, that when I got the chance to order a Sei bass it was a 7 string rather than a 4, 5 or 6. If I hadn't been playing 7 strings for years before then, it would have been foolhardy, stupid or both ;)

I went for the 9 as I think that it's as far as you can go on one instrument. From the 7 strings, it's only 1 extra on the top and 1 extra on the bottom.

For me, at least, the 9 wasn't a jump into the unknown or some kind of misplaced macho posturing, but an instrument that I can enjoy playing and creating with.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='396330' date='Jan 31 2009, 06:56 PM'][size=4]EPIC![/size]

that's stunning mate! I'm always intrigued by the ERBs! Whats the tuning?

I'm gagging for something with slightly fewer strings, but with a lower range than my 5ers...something like F* B E A D, and with a devastatingly long scale....[/quote]

It's tuned F# B E A D G C F Bb so all in 4ths. As there's no other intervals, all the shapes that you would normally use on a 4 string bass can be applied anywhere on the fretboard.

[quote name='7string' post='396513' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:57 PM']I respect your point of view and understand that these ERB things are not for everybody.

I would like to explain how I got to the 9 though:

I've been playing bass since 1988 and moved to a 6 string fretless bass in 1998. I got a Conklin Groove Tools 7 string bass through eBay in 2002. I bought both of these basses because I saw players who were using them (Marco Mendoza and Bill Dickens respectively). When I moved to the 6, I found that if I thought of it as a 4 string with extra strings that it made things a lot easier. Same thing 4 years later with the 7 string.

In the band I was in at the time, I was able to trade solos with the guitarist and use the upper range of the 7. For the other 90% of the time, I was singing the songs and playing bass, locking in with the drummer and making the songs groove along.

Over time, I got so used to playing the 7, that when I got the chance to order a Sei bass it was a 7 string rather than a 4, 5 or 6. If I hadn't been playing 7 strings for years before then, it would have been foolhardy, stupid or both ;)

I went for the 9 as I think that it's as far as you can go on one instrument. From the 7 strings, it's only 1 extra on the top and 1 extra on the bottom.

For me, at least, the 9 wasn't a jump into the unknown or some kind of misplaced macho posturing, but an instrument that I can enjoy playing and creating with.

It's tuned F# B E A D G C F Bb so all in 4ths. As there's no other intervals, all the shapes that you would normally use on a 4 string bass can be applied anywhere on the fretboard.[/quote]

Fair enough mate I couldn't play it but if you ever sell it I'll take the 4 strings in the middle :P