Why become a member? ×

The Reggae Thread

Reggaebass

23 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I do like Horace Andy, he still sounds great after all this time, I was only listening to this yesterday , it was recorded around 2006 with Robbie Shakespeare 

Yeah, he's still got it. His recent 'midnight rocker' album with Adrian Sherwood is good too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Really enjoying 10 Ft. Ganja plant at the moment. Only recently stumbled across them.

I’d never heard of them up to a couple of years ago, really good band and some nice basslines 

• Like 1

I was gonna say the same. If someone just wanted to start somewhere, the 'Legend' album by Bob Marley is where I would point them. They could then work back from there, or forwards depending, or branch out into something a bit specific (But you guys in here know way more about the lineage than I do)

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, MikeTheMisfit said:

As someone who knows next to nothing about Reggae, could somebody point me in the right direction? Where should i start?

I've looked at a few Spotify playlists but i'd rather take advice from the folk on here.

Hi Mike, good to have you here, quite difficult to say really because there’s a whole world of reggae out there and lots of different styles, depends what you like, there’s a Spotify playlist of some of the songs here you might like to listen to 

some of my favourites are 

black Uhuru 

barrington levy 

Roots Radics (Flabba Holt)

and I can definitely recommend Sly and Robbie 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MikeTheMisfit said:

As someone who knows next to nothing about Reggae, could somebody point me in the right direction? Where should i start?

I've looked at a few Spotify playlists but i'd rather take advice from the folk on here.

The equivilant to the 'standards' for Jazz and Blues are the classis 'Riddims' in Reggae (not quite the same as what musicians would usually call a rhythm, they're drums and bass and often include guitar and horns etc.) They're often used on many different reggae songs but with different vocalists. Here's a playlist of the most used ones: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking up Jason Arthur Welsh bass player after listening to a track earlier, and he played on these 2, really good player and nice Basslines 

and this really sounds like old school Aswad and steel Pulse with Brinsley Ford 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Looks like the drummer is camera shy ?

Yes, but you can recognize him, maybe a facial injury?