Why become a member? ×

'64 Jazz, 100% original

Biggsy

[quote name='Beedster' post='392748' date='Jan 27 2009, 02:18 PM']There's another '64 with the same neck date in the USA at present (I'm up on my '64 neck dates as I'm looking for one born the same day as me) ;)
Not saying it's a ringer, but it's certainly a coincidence?
Chris[/quote]

The fact the seller has written 'Serial number xxxxxxx' in his description swings me to the wary side too..

[quote name='Beedster' post='392748' date='Jan 27 2009, 02:18 PM']There's another '64 with the same neck date in the USA at present (I'm up on my '64 neck dates as I'm looking for one born the same day as me) ;)
Chris[/quote]

I dont think that the necks have the date on them to the day. I think the number is referring to the type?

ie OCT 7 65 is not October 7th - There again I could be talking rubbish :-)

Steve

[quote name='OldGit' post='392902' date='Jan 27 2009, 04:46 PM']You are right but everyone calls that a neck date as if the neck was made on that specific date.

It's on Craig's list too
[url="http://london.craigslist.co.uk/msg/1009411254.html"]http://london.craigslist.co.uk/msg/1009411254.html[/url][/quote]

I thought so. Beedster may pass on a fair few of the correct month if he is waiting for the exact day was all I was thinking ;)

[quote name='birdy' post='392906' date='Jan 27 2009, 04:49 PM']I thought so. Beedster may pass on a fair few of the correct month if he is waiting for the exact day was all I was thinking ;)[/quote]

ha ha yeah 07-22-1964 might be Fender code for Telecaster necks, or worse, DIY heart shaped inserts knocked off on the routing machines when they had spare capacity ....

Dunno the accuracy of the source but this supports what Steve and I both think

"In 1969, CBS-Fender began to implement a new type of neck stamp in place of the usual date stamp consisting of model code, month, year, neck width (e.g. 8 DEC 65 B for a Duo-Sonic II with a 1 5/8 inch neck width). "
Copyright 1998, 20th Century Guitar Magazine.
[url="http://www.ggjaguar.com/neckcode.htm"]http://www.ggjaguar.com/neckcode.htm[/url]

Oh dear, Could be a long long search Chris, according to that article 22 is a strat ..

"One more time, since you love this stuff… Strat (s/n 279515) with code 22384109B. Break it into pieces:

22 = code for Stratocaster

384 = batch or lot code?

10 = October

9 = 1969

B = 1 5/8 inch neck width
"

and in the 60's .. 22 was still a Strat...

[url="http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/neckstamps/fender_neck_codes_1962.htm"]http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/neckst..._codes_1962.htm[/url]

Edited by OldGit

He's based in Merton, near Wimbledon.

I wonder - does [i]Merton[/i] live in Merton?

Incidentally, it's this sort of thing that puts me off buying Fenders. I've had some really nice vintage instruments pass through my hands (far too many of them are still with me) but provenance is rarely that much of an issue.

But mention "pre-CBS Fender" and suddenly everyone turns into Del-boy.

And when I think I've spotted one ... the bugger turns out to be genuine. [See my other, disastrous thread: How Bad Does A Fake Have To Be?].

;)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='392969' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:46 PM']He's based in Merton, near Wimbledon.

Incidentally, it's this sort of thing that puts me off buying Fenders. I've had some really nice vintage instruments pass through my hands (far too many of them are still with me) but provenance is rarely that much of an issue.

And when I think I've spotted one ... the bugger turns out to be genuine. [See my other, disastrous thread: How Bad Does A Fake Have To Be?].

;)[/quote]

I find the easiest thing to do is buy a new one. :P

Chris[/quote]

MB1. :P
"I'm looking for one born the same day as me!"......Nowt like setting yourself a challenge Chris! :)

Guys, thanks, you've probably saved me much time! I have two June '64s on my radar at present, I'd given up on finding a 22nd, and I'm guessing that, given the above, that wasn't a bad decision :P
Amazing that some of the 'authorities' have got it wrong also ;)
Chris

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='392969' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:46 PM']He's based in Merton, near Wimbledon.

:P[/quote]

MB1. ;)
Merton lives in Redhill.....better had do! or ive sent the cheque to the wrong place! :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='392977' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:51 PM']Guys, thanks, you've probably saved me much time! I have two June '64s on my radar at present, I'd given up on finding a 22nd, and I'm guessing that, given the above, that wasn't a bad decision :)
Amazing that some of the 'authorities' have got it wrong also :P
Chris[/quote]

Well I can't say the articles I linked to are genuine but I remember thinking my old bass's neck date was the date it was made 'til someone expained and pointed out a seruos flaw in my logic: As the damn yankees use a stupid month first illogical date format it would say have to say 7 22 64 anyway.
Now we know that 7 is a jazz bass you may manage that bit but unless there used to be 22 months in a year in '64 you are not going to find 22 as a month ;)

There you go, you are orf the hook just buy the best 64 you can find ..

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='394817' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:07 PM']my dad (simon1964) found a precision bass that had the serial number show it was made the same year as him, and a stamp in the neck pocket (as some fenders do) saying his exact birthday.[/quote]

Excellent. Hope for me yet ;)

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='394817' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:07 PM']my dad (simon1964) found a precision bass that had the serial number show it was made the same year as him, and a stamp in the neck pocket (as some fenders do) saying his exact birthday.[/quote]

Simon's birthday is 5th Nov 64
See? 5 = Precision ;)
Cool. I hope he had the money. It would be really horrible to find the ideal bass like that and only have 50p available ...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='394838' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:26 PM']What are the chances of finding a 1983 one with the exact date?[/quote]

25th June?
No chance .. model number 25 not used (or not publically stated what it was)
You could pretend to be born on the 23rd and have a Telecaster bass .... Not so bad ;)

[quote name='OldGit' post='394970' date='Jan 29 2009, 09:33 PM']Simon's birthday is 5th Nov 64
See? 5 = Precision ;)
Cool. I hope he had the money. It would be really horrible to find the ideal bass like that and only have 50p available ...[/quote]

Lol! Sadly not! I was very, very tempted, but it was in the States, and with the extra cost of getting it through customs, I decided against. And I've regretted it ever since!

As you say, the 5 Doesn't relate to the 5th - every Precision made in November 1964 will have my "5 Nov 64" on it, (and I doubt I can afford any of them!)

Edited by simon1964