Why become a member? ×

Wood&tronics Chronos 'Klimt'

mcgraham

Well, it's finally here!

In a nutshell, I've been waiting for this bass since the middle of last year. It's been a long wait, but it has paid off. I held off posting this thread until I had pictures ready to upload. And here they are...

[attachment=19241:IMG_0496.JPG]
[attachment=19242:IMG_0503.JPG]
[attachment=19243:IMG_0499.JPG]
[attachment=19246:IMG_0504.JPG]
[attachment=19247:IMG_0507.JPG]
[attachment=19248:IMG_0510.JPG]
[attachment=19249:IMG_0512.JPG]
[attachment=19250:IMG_0515.JPG]
[attachment=19251:IMG_0516.JPG]

[u][i]Specs[/i][/u]

Chronos 'Klimt'
5 strings, EADGC
33" scale
Neck through
7 piece neck - Zebrano-Padouk-Ash-Maple-Ash-Padouk-Zebrawood
Walnut body wings
Alder and ebony heelblock
Ebony fingerboard
26 banjo frets
Abalone dot inlays
Figured poplar top (wings only)
Matching headstock and trussrod cover
Kent Armstrong Dual Coil pickups
Ebony finger ramp
Wood&tronics ETS bridge
W&T East preamp (3 band parametric w/ passive tone)
Series/parallel/single coil switching
Brass nut

[u][i]Brief Review[/i][/u]

Essentially, I have been using the same bass for the last 4-5 years, and the same type of basses (J-basses) since I began playing bass. I've always enjoyed using them and greatly enjoy their sound. However, in the last few years, certain limitations have started to bug me. Not enough detail in the sound, simply functional, requiring a great deal of work and practice to coax articulate sounds out of it. Also, not enough frets, strings or range to satisfy my needs. In short, I wanted a bass without the limits that I was fighting and practicing to get around.

I've had the bass for a little over a week, and spent the first weekend setting it up and tweaking it. Firstly, the bass is a work of art. Despite my poor photography skills, I'm sure you can see that. So many amazing touches from the continuous wood backplates, to the lasercut wood logo on the back of the headstock, it's all beautifully put together.

Physically, it's a joy to play. It has a massive range due to its 5 strings and 26 frets. The deep cutaway and seamless heel-less design means that it is effortless to get from the top to the bottom. It's also designed to sit more central to your body and have less of the neck 'sitting off to the left' as with most basses. It's marginally heavier than my Geddy, but considering it's got substantially heavier woods it's not that surprising. However it's balance means that it doesn't weigh down on you.

Soundwise, it's great. Clean, clear and crisp sound. Very extended frequency response. With the bright switch on the preamp engaged it sounds almost like a mix of the mag pups with a piezo, almost acoustic. The preamp always has a slight bass boost when set to the centre detent, which reeeeally helps with getting the C string to sound useable in a band context. I'm still experimenting with sounds but I can get my previous bass sound, and a whole lot more.

I'll do a fuller review once I've really got to grips with this bass, but so far, I'm loving it. If I make it to the Notts bass bash I'll bring it along.

Big props to Mark at BassDirect who hooked me up with this bass, and also to Enrico and Erik at Wood&tronics who made this entirely possible.

Mark

Sweet. Nice review and great looking bass. I am not normally a fan of single cuts but these look like something else, and play like a dream - every one I have tried of Mark's stock has been nothing short of superb, capable of an extremely low action and a bucketload of great zingy sounds.

What's that little black 'extension' on the back of the bridge - something to do with the 33" scale?

Cheers
ped

It is indeed a great bass, W&Ts are a cut above the rest IMO, hence why I went with them.

Ped, the 'little black extension' is an ebony overlay. It had a different bridge on it at one point, but we elected to go with this one piece bridge instead, much more functional. The ebony overlay matches the bridge and covers the old mounting holes from the previous bridge. So more or less for aesthetic purposes only!

7string, thanks a lot. If you're ever down in the Notts area you're more than welcome to try it. Same goes for you Ped!

Mark

Very nice indeed! Reminds me of the Matt Garrison Foderas. I bet the 33" scale was a good move in fattening up and mellowing out the high C-string.

What's so cool about custom basses is you can really nail down exactly what you want to suit you as a musician - we've both played one pretty standard 4-string bass for years before making the step to a custom bass and it's fascinating to see how both of us have arrived at our personal bass perfection - so different but both equally valid!

Nice.

Alex

Alex, most definitely ;) Yours is a great bass, solid workhorse. Was really impressed by the physicality of your bass when I tried it at the Northampton bash.

I was going to have it strung B-G, but I ended up with it strung E-C, and it's completely blown away my previous dislike of high C strings. You may recall in other threads that I hated high C strings because they sounded great on their own, but were awful in even a quiet mix. They effectively taunted me, as I wanted that range and the chordal possibilities, but I could never use them due to their limitations. This is not the case with this bad boy.

The ebony board is fantastic, particularly in combination with the banjo frets, it feels almost fretless. It just gives the feeling of a much stronger connection to the instrument, which can only be a good thing. Also, when I got it I was also pleasantly surprised with the neck profile, as I'd previously tried them and thought that they were nice, but I'd prefer a more shaller 'D' shape. However my tastes appear to have changed as it wow'd me as soon as I started using it.

Oh and the contoured heel... if you've not tried it you're missing out. In fact, half the people that have seen it prefer the back of the bass to the front, and there's not even any figured wood back there!

Mark

[quote]Banjo frets eh? How much does a full refret cost every year I wonder...[/quote]

;) It'll be fine. I play and fret very lightly. My other bass had small vintage sized Fender frets and there was little to no fret wear after 4 years of playing around 4 hours a day most days. So good quality ones should be fine... I hope!

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='393581' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:35 PM'];) It'll be fine. I play and fret very lightly. My other bass had small vintage sized Fender frets and there was little to no fret wear after 4 years of playing around 4 hours a day most days. So good quality ones should be fine... I hope!

Mark[/quote]

Glad you reacted in the light hearted way I meant the comment to be taken! Seriously love the way you can get that almost fretless thing going with mando/banjo frets, but as you say, a light touch is vital, plus you won't have a low B pounding them into oblivion!!

Cheers Loz! You're more than welcome to come try it if you're ever around.

4000, even though the pound isn't faring so well Enrico is a great person to deal with in terms of options, I'm sure he could work out a deal with you. I also paid off half at the beginning and half when it was finished. Which certainly helped.

I'm not thinking about ordering another anytime soon, but I certainly know where I'm coming back to for any future builds.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='393581' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:35 PM'];) It'll be fine. I play and fret very lightly. My other bass had small vintage sized Fender frets and there was little to no fret wear after 4 years of playing around 4 hours a day most days. So good quality ones should be fine... I hope![/quote]

How often do basses need refretting anyway? My Warwick's still on its original ones despite being over twenty years old, though I know bell bronze is harder than nickel silver. I went with smaller frets (mandolin size?) on my RIM Custom 5 but they're made of stainless steel so hopefully the (nickel) strings will do all the wearing out, not the frets!

Alex

Hi Mark,

I find myself drawn back to the photographs again and again - thanks for the hi-res images - the quality of woodworking and the detail is astonishing (I love everything but the truss cover is just fantastic - in keeping with the whole aesthetic and beautifully thought through).

Thanks for the offer - as soon as I can get over to Nottingham, I'll be in touch. I'm sure you're enjoying this one: clearly a man of exquisite taste (it looks great against the Berg!) Cheers, Loz

Alex, I know what you mean. I'd have said the same thing about electric guitars, but I was stunned to see divots on my friend's Strat, and all he did was play chords in the first position. Probably a combination of 'sharp' strings and poor technique (i.e. pressing too hard) as well as softer frets.

Lozbass, you're definitely welcome down here, that's not just a throwaway comment! The Berg is great with it. Now the only weak link is the ART Tube MP, gotta find something to replace that at some point...

Mark

Cheers jman. The pickups were originally Nordstrand Dual Coils, but we ran into some issues with them so we custom ordered the Kent Armstrongs. The sound is now a smidgen fuller, whilst retaining the throaty prominent and crisp sound it had originally.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='395339' date='Jan 30 2009, 12:46 PM']Alex, I know what you mean. I'd have said the same thing about electric guitars, but I was stunned to see divots on my friend's Strat, and all he did was play chords in the first position. Probably a combination of 'sharp' strings and poor technique (i.e. pressing too hard) as well as softer frets.[/quote]

I think stainless steel roundwounds are particularly tough on frets and I'm guessing that some nickel silver frets are softer alloys than others. I presume also that the more string buzz you're willing to tolerate (or want) then the more your frets will be worn away.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='395339' date='Jan 30 2009, 12:46 PM']Now the only weak link is the ART Tube MP, gotta find something to replace that at some point...[/quote]

Have you tried an Avalon U5? Or cheaper and more sensibly sized but still rather good by all accounts, a PJB Bass Buddy?

Alex

Argh! String buzz! Hate it. Nothing wrong with a little bit of sizzle but excessive clank annoys me so much. I worked on my touch and setup a huge amount to rid my playing of such artefacts. These banjo frets seem to keep it to an absolute minimum though, which is great. Less metal = less buzz I guess!

I got to play through your Avalon U5 with QSC at the Northampton bash, but I didn't get to fiddle with the rotary eq selector. The Bass Buddy sounds like a good option, particularly as it has a headphone out. I'd like a preamp with that option to allow me to have a personal monitor. I'd prefer an option that I could attach to my strap, but I haven't seen anything like that. My Pandora is a bit too noisy for that sort of thing.

Mark

Edited by mcgraham

[quote name='mcgraham' post='395487' date='Jan 30 2009, 03:39 PM']Argh! String buzz! Hate it. Nothing wrong with a little bit of sizzle but excessive clank annoys me so much. I worked on my touch and setup a huge amount to rid my playing of such artefacts.[/quote]

Likewise. Most of the time I don't want any buzz at all, hence as I often dig in fairly hard I have a relatively high action and pluck so that the strings mostly move parallel to the frets. And then when I do want nasty rattle and clank and dirt I just change how and where I'm plucking! Who needs overdrive pedals when you have hands? ;)

I forgotten that you'd used my U5 thought I think it was through a Whappo Jr which isn't as accurate as the AccuGroove hype would suggest! Doesn't Mark @ Bass Direct do some PJB gear? As you'd mentioned practising through headphones I was thinking the Bass Buddy would be a good choice. And if you get a nice fullrange speaker and stick in a box you'd have a really nice practice amp for very little cost thanks to the PJB's 10W power amp. One of the few bits of gear that I'm still considering acquiring...

Alex