Why become a member? ×

status graphite

guitrax

As you're a newbie I wont be sarcastic..!

They make fabulous basses! There are some huge devoted fans of them on here and I'm sure one will be along in a second or two Outtoplayjazz owns lots of them and swears by them.

The few I've had a noodle with have been very well made, played well and very funky looking machines......

In fact if I wasnt so devoted to the products of Mr Smith I would no doubt have at least one of them ( A streamline )

Yes, I own lots of them & I do swear by them! I've been playing Status instruments for nigh on twenty years & for the types of playing I do, there's nothing better. The build quality is second to none (I have a 19 year old SII which has definitely stood the test of time!) & the sound is amazing.

Not only do you get massive growl from the graphite necks, but order with the right tone block in the middle & there's more tone than you're ever going to need. Headless models are perfectly balanced & you never need worry about any variance in the neck with temperature changes. No movement ever. Period.

And if you're fed up with basses with weak output from active preamps, look no further. The Status preamps are if anything, overpowered. More shove, again, than you're ever going to need. Speaking of the preamps, the electronics are bullet proof & will last a lifetime.

Possibly the best bit about Status is that you get the best possible customer service. The company is run by Rob Green & his wife Dawn. They only have another couple of employees on the wood/graphite production side. Rob deals with electronics, hardware & setups. That way, you're guaranteed that every bass coming out of the factory has passed through Rob's hands and Rob's idea of quality control is nothing short of anally retentive! In fact, I know of one international customer that ordered a KingBass retroglide which had a slight imperfection in the graphite weave on the back of the neck. Rob had the bass back under warranty & made him another. Free of charge.

So if nothing short of perfection will do, you know where to go! Hope this helps ;)

Rich.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='391186' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:25 PM']They look too '80s so I've never tried one. Even when they started putting headstocks on them they still looked too '80s.[/quote]

MB1. ;)
You just get back to eating your tea with that Ashdown 410! :P :) :huh:

Can't think of anything bad to say,had my 4000 for years,apart from a crackly master vol pot that a squirt of switch cleaner cures for about 6 months,beyond me why every bass player in the land doesn't use a headless,takes up less space & almost never needs tuning also status necks are a joy to hold,the whole thing is effortless to play,best advice is to get your hands on one, mike b.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='391212' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:44 PM']I might pull the speakers out, stick some castors on it and use it as a hostess trolley.[/quote]

MB1. ;)
The Hostess With the Mostest!....Sorry! i'll get me coat! :P

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='391173' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:14 PM']Yes, I own lots of them & I do swear by them! I've been playing Status instruments for nigh on twenty years & for the types of playing I do, there's nothing better. The build quality is second to none (I have a 19 year old SII which has definitely stood the test of time!) & the sound is amazing.

Not only do you get massive growl from the graphite necks, but order with the right tone block in the middle & there's more tone than you're ever going to need. Headless models are perfectly balanced & you never need worry about any variance in the neck with temperature changes. No movement ever. Period.

And if you're fed up with basses with weak output from active preamps, look no further. The Status preamps are if anything, overpowered. More shove, again, than you're ever going to need. Speaking of the preamps, the electronics are bullet proof & will last a lifetime.

Possibly the best bit about Status is that you get the best possible customer service. The company is run by Rob Green & his wife Dawn. They only have another couple of employees on the wood/graphite production side. Rob deals with electronics, hardware & setups. That way, you're guaranteed that every bass coming out of the factory has passed through Rob's hands and Rob's idea of quality control is nothing short of anally retentive! In fact, I know of one international customer that ordered a KingBass retroglide which had a slight imperfection in the graphite weave on the back of the neck. Rob had the bass back under warranty & made him another. Free of charge.

So if nothing short of perfection will do, you know where to go! Hope this helps ;)

Rich.[/quote]

My brother spaketh the truth! I too have owned many Status basses over the years and they are amongst the finest available in this reality!

Have one (a Streamline) on order.
It [i]earned[/i] its place in my collection, too.
Took on and bettered everything I tried that day except a pair of Vigier S4s, and they were different.
And then there's the level of service you get from everyone at Status, Dawn and Rob not least.
Excellent product and service to match.
I wanted a few bits added and a few bits left out - No worries, we're making this one for [b]you[/b].

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='391198' date='Jan 25 2009, 08:33 PM']Can't think of anything bad to say,had my 4000 for years,apart from a crackly master vol pot that a squirt of switch cleaner cures for about 6 months,beyond me why every bass player in the land doesn't use a headless,takes up less space & almost never needs tuning also status necks are a joy to hold,the whole thing is effortless to play,best advice is to get your hands on one, mike b.[/quote]

What is it with the crackly pots? Every Status I've owned (4) has suffered with this problem. I know it's not a biggee, but I've never owned anything else that suffers as badly.

FWIW, I love the idea of Status. The idea of a bulletproof, headless, reasonably light (at least in some cases) bass with a virtually movement-free neck fills me with joy. Unfortunately I've yet to find one I really get on with. The classic Status shape is agony for me to play. The tone I've found a bit too, well, synthetic, although maybe the rigs I've been playing through haven't helped. I've always thought they sounded pretty reasonable fingerstyled but I use a pick most of the time and without an amp with parametrics I can never get rid of the sound of the pick (something I generally find fairly straightforward). So I'd say try before you buy. The Status I've actually got on best with (well, apart from the weight) is actually the Barracuda. I've played 2, a 4 & a 5, and thought they sounded awesome. I do quite fancy a Stealth 2 though, but I need to play one first. I played a couple of Stealth 1s and at least got on with the body shape, but I still wasn't convinced about the tone.

[quote name='BassBus' post='392223' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:35 PM']Oh just ignore what everyone has said here and buy one. Nothing better. Perfection personified. Simply the best. The dogs spherical objects. Any other cliches that come to mind.[/quote]

Well said, that man! To take the cliche several stages further, I'd say they're not just the dog's danglies, but in fact the whole dog, his mother, father & entire genetic lineage as well!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='392264' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:12 PM']Well said, that man! To take the cliche several stages further, I'd say they're not just the dog's danglies, but in fact the whole dog, his mother, father & entire genetic lineage as well![/quote]

Mine's non-canine metaphoric but is the chocolate starfish of a feline domestic quadroped.

(NOTE - in the world of Status classification - other animals ,and their rude parts, are available)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='392264' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:12 PM']Well said, that man! To take the cliche several stages further, I'd say they're not just the dog's danglies, but in fact the whole dog, his mother, father & entire genetic lineage as well![/quote]

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='392476' date='Jan 27 2009, 10:09 AM']Mine's non-canine metaphoric but is the chocolate starfish of a feline domestic quadroped.

(NOTE - in the world of Status classification - other animals ,and their rude parts, are available)[/quote]
;) :P :)

I hope the original poster [guitrax] has taken due note that he's enquiring about some seriously good gear!

Mewsie came round for a quick lesson last night & she got to try the a couple of S2's as well. She even ended up taking the Groove 5 with her. She's borrowing it for a while!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='392899' date='Jan 27 2009, 04:43 PM']Mewsie came round for a quick lesson last night & she got to try the a couple of S2's as well. She even ended up taking the Groove 5 with her. She's borrowing it for a while![/quote]
Is that really wise Rich? You might never see her again!!! ;)