Why become a member? ×

Jean Jacques Burnel Signature model

steve-soar

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='388626' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:28 PM']Seriously though, if a thread like this gets a young bass player to listen to an old master like JJ, then that’s great. All we old ‘uns can do is point the way. If the young guns like it, great. If not, no problem. It’s not a case of “you must live this guy because I (and my generation) say he’s great”, it’s have a listen and see what you think.

I burned a compilation CD for my bass playing nephew with all sorts of stuff on there. Some Blockheads, Level 42, Simple Minds, Black Sabbath, RHCP, Chic, Jah Wobble, Sly & Robbie, Climax Blues Band etc. He listened to it, picked what he liked and ditched the rest. It hurt me like hell when Norman Watt-Roy was rejected, but it’s his choice. He’s only young after all. One day, maybe.[/quote]

As I said I love Golden Brown but am I correct in thinking that is played on an upright?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='388629' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:29 PM']As I said I love Golden Brown but am I correct in thinking that is played on an upright?[/quote]

Certainly the video (still on Wikipedia [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Brown"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Brown[/url]) shown him with an upright. Dunno if that's what it was recorded on though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='388629' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:29 PM']As I said I love Golden Brown but am I correct in thinking that is played on an upright?[/quote]

in the book "Hugh Cornwell- the Stranglers song by song", he says Burnel didn't actually play on Golden Brown- Dave Greenfield played the bassline on keyboards, as Burnel didn't like the idea of playing just the root notes.

that explains why the rest of the basslines on the La Folie album are so different to Golden Brown in both style and sound.

Burnel plays it live though, and elaborates the bassline slightly.

[quote name='SJA' post='388660' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:57 PM']in the book "Hugh Cornwell- the Stranglers song by song", he says Burnel didn't actually play on Golden Brown- Dave Greenfield played the bassline on keyboards, as Burnel didn't like the idea of playing just the root notes.

that explains why the rest of the basslines on the La Folie album are so different to Golden Brown in both style and sound.

Burnel plays it live though, and elaborates the bassline slightly.[/quote]

I think it sounds great as it was recorded, it really adds depth to the song without being flashy, weird timing though (for me)

another thing about Golden Brown- Cornwell recorded the solo with the tape running slow, as he couldn't play it at full speed- and often messed up the end ascending/descending scale phrase when they played it live. he's an odd guitarist- there's a live clip of him playing this weird off-the-wall lead guitar part on "Just like nothing on earth" while singing, yet he messes up conventional type guitar parts.

Edited by SJA

>I don't like being told who and who I shouldn't like/respect

deary me.i'm not telling you to do anything mate.. i was trying to point you in a direction that you might find interesting
must admit i do find it amusing though that you have that sig and have never heard of the greatest bass player of the 70s.. the man who singlehandedly rescued bass guitar from the oblivion that hendrix had (albeit inadvertently ) placed it and made it cool again.. he put the bass back on the map again..and for you jazz farts.. bass is the lead instrument in the stranglers.. this was the first time this had happened in 'popular' music apart from a few who tracks. that is why he is so important.. oh and you mean cliff burton... jason newstead. who is he? :-/

[quote name='charic' post='388898' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:05 PM']played my first gig with the fellow. Honestly i thought he was alright but never understood why people rave bout him.[/quote]

Because he's one of the most influential bass players this country, with the help of france, has ever produced. Did he not play some amazing lead bass solo to stun and amaze you with his lightning fast technique? What a surprise.

[quote name='qed' post='388902' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:07 PM']the greatest bass player of the 70s.. the man who singlehandedly rescued bass guitar from the oblivion that hendrix had (albeit inadvertently ) placed it and made it cool again.. he put the bass back on the map again..[/quote]

No disrespect to Burnel, but dunno about single-handedly. J. Entwistle, C. Squire, B. Foxton and others all did their bit to make it an instrument fit for heroes.

Walk On By, I [i]love[/i] that song. Along with Shipbuilding by Elvis Costello, maybe my favourite songs ever.

Honestly, bollocks to Marcus Miller style lead bass, give me Jean's chugging, simple powerhouse bass on 5 minutes and I'm in heaven. UK punk at it's all time best. In [i]my[/i] opinion of course.

[quote name='bremen' post='388948' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:46 PM']No disrespect to Burnel, but dunno about single-handedly. J. Entwistle, C. Squire, B. Foxton and others all did their bit to make it an instrument fit for heroes.[/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn't say single handedly either, all bass players over the years have coloured modern music in some way, even Sid Vicious. Bruce Foxton is another very influential player from the [i]early[/i] punk era.

[quote name='Rayman' post='388956' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:50 PM']Yeah, I wouldn't say single handedly either, all bass players over the years have coloured modern music in some way, even Sid Vicious. Bruce Foxton is another very influential player from the [i]early[/i] punk era.[/quote]
and some bass lines were really influential - eg, Jah Wobble's Public Image intro, Damned's Love Song intro, Clash's London Calling intro, Skids Into the valley intro etc etc - all fabulous bits of bass

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='388963' date='Jan 22 2009, 07:54 PM']and some bass lines were really influential - eg, Jah Wobble's Public Image intro, Damned's Love Song intro, Clash's London Calling intro, Skids Into the valley intro etc etc - all fabulous bits of bass[/quote]

Even I wouldn't say single-handed, and he's been my favourite bass player for 30 years-but he was certainly right up there at the forefront. I doubt he'd be too bothered about a Fender sig model now-he loves his Shukers, and he was very happy about the fact that he was able to support a home-grown Luthier when I met him last year.

>Bruce Foxton is another very influential player from the early punk era.
yeah he was but he was in a guitar band..TBF I already mentioned entwhistle and chris squire was/is really good but all i ever heard about was steve howe this and steve howe that..
prior to burnel..everyone wanted to be blackmore (hendrix by proxy).. and i'll prove it.. why did some of from that era take up bass then.. was it because there was this french guy in this band with the 'most' attitude that rode a triumph bonneville.. black belt in karate and was fighting women off with a stick and was rated by all and sundry as the best bass player in the land.. yeah me too.. ;)
anyways you should check him out mr punk man.. i could also recommend jah wobble (as mentioned here).. paul gray of the damned and the dude in new model army (morrow) would be worth looking at.. also the guy who played on henry rollins later solo stuff
i'll shut up now ..

JJ was good because he didn't play OTT. he played what needed to be played and left it at that.

im just sad to have read that he didn't like the idea of just playing roots for golden brown, i wouldve thought that he'd know that that was best for the song

I'm coming up to 45 and was raised on what i would call 'classic punk' and although i sometimes smile wistfully when i hear younger guys talking about the music they listen to as 'punk' i'm not upset or troubled by it like some of the posters here, who to listen to, you would think had single handedly invented 'punk'.... or at least their version of punk ;)
What Wayne listens to is up to him...as long as he enjoys playing and listening to it what do i, or anyone else for that matter, care what he calls it? There's too much of this musical snobbery already around without it being brought into a genre of music that was supposed to be all about levelling the playing field and getting rid of the snobbery, heroes and all that sh*t about rock gods like Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Beck and all those other virtuosos of the guitar and rock world .
JJ was a great bassist for his time and place, but i'm sure that Wayne has his own opinion on what, for him personally, makes a great bassist...doesn't mean he's right or wrong...cos it's not about that, it's about being grabbed by the nuts by the sound...who gives a sh*t who's making it as long as it grabs you?

As for JJ deserving a signature bass :P whatever floats your boat...but i refer you back to my previous statement that punk was supposed to be about [i][b]not[/b][/i] being endorsed by big business and sucking the corporate tit...it was about blowing all that sh*te away. How soon we forget eh?

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='389080' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:23 PM']JJ was good because he didn't play OTT. he played what needed to be played and left it at that.

im just sad to have read that he didn't like the idea of just playing roots for golden brown, i wouldve thought that he'd know that that was best for the song[/quote]

JJ was a bit of a Prima Donna...and not a very nice person when the mood took him. ;)

[quote name='bremen' post='388533' date='Jan 22 2009, 02:14 PM']It's 30 years since the Clash, Stranglers and Ramones (ie my) era. As far from today as the music of 1948 was from 1978.[/quote]

Damn, you're right. that's the scariest thing I've read today!

And +1 to the comments on Walk on By - gets my vote for the best cover version ever.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='389080' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:23 PM']JJ was good because he didn't play OTT. he played what needed to be played and left it at that.[/quote]

he could shred when he wanted to- check out the solos on "Genetix" or the end of "Straighten out" or "Tank".

Edited by SJA