Why become a member? ×

Memorable gigs of the year played/attended

Uberkate

Toto at the Royal College Hospital.  Steve Lukather was just brilliant.  Alas, their bassist didn't die during the performance so I wasn't called up on stage as an emergency replacement.

Only played 2 gigs this year, a pub and a working men's club,  This Saturday's performance in a very busy pub at a nearby town is liable to be the best now the rest of the lads realise that my fingers need to warm up a bit before I can play My Sharona, so that's been switched to third on the set list.

I can only answer the first part as I don't often go to other people's gigs, but best gigs I've played in this year have been the three night run we played in Germany early in the summer, and the most recent one, our second time at the Fiddler's Elbow in Camden a week ago - everything fell into place, we weren't playing the music, the music was playing the band, and the energy coming off the audience was incredible, we were surfing this huge wave and barely noticed that we were playing.

Can't really think of a worst gig, but probably the least best in 2019 was our second time at Cockfosters in the autumn, we had to bring the PA down from Leicester and the guy who was running it had never used the desk before, so the FoH sound was never  very good, and there were moments of feedback so bad we couldn't play. 

1. Best played was a big David Bowie tribute night back in January - i was bassist in the backing band playing Hunky Dory in full with a range of guest singers. Brilliant night, really busy and got to play with some great local musicians.

2. Worst played was a dep gig at a beer festival in the summer. I was really ill and felt like I was gonna pass out for most of the gig. It was all i could manage to stand upright and my hands felt like lead. It was a straight 90 mins and i couldn't get to the end soon enough.

3. Best attended was Ginger Wildheart at the Y Theatre in Leicester. Tiny little old Victorian theatre and a wonderful community feel to the whole thing.

4. Worst attended - none. I've only been to see two gigs this year (Ginger and Emeli Sande) and both good.

Most memorable gig played: With my classic rock anthems & power ballads theatre show 'Leather & Lace' at Porthcawl Grand Pavilion. A packed theatre, home area gig for 2 of our band members and an electric atmosphere!

Least memorable gig played: None really - they've ALL been great!

Most memorable gig attended: so MANY great gigs this year.....A 3-way tie.....
KISS 'End of the Road tour' at O2 Arena.... amazing show, reasonable ticket price & emotional experience (especially as I had my young Son there to see them in their majesty).
Styx at London Palladium. A masterclass in songwriting, performance, harmony vocals and pure class!
Young Gun Silver Fox at Nells in West Kensington - amazing original 'yacht rock' band - like a time machine back to late 70's/early 80's Hall & Oates, Doobie Brothers, Toto etc with tight grooves, smooth harmonies and wonderful melodies!

Least memorable gig attended: Though not a 'bad' gig per se.... I did find the Las Vegas show 'Raiding The Rock Vault' a huge disappointment at Subteranea, London. Tacky backdrop video, well known musicians & singers (Tony Franlin on the bass!) doing a solid but not fantastic job, poor sound (where was the bass?) and a strange choice of venue....

Edited by cetera

1. Most memorable gig played (good reasons): Our 'weekend warrior' band's set at the Nottingham Boat Club, my first gig since 1996, well rehearsed (see 2) so it was a sheer joy 🙂

2. Most memorable gig played (bad reasons): Sister in Law's 60th birthday - mainly because with my brother, SIL and the drummer from my other brother's band. Minimal rehearsal, I sang, played guitar and mandolin in front of an audience all for first time ever, and played a song on bass I'd only ever played on mandolin before. Not that it was a disaster (although I could have been better) but it was so stressful!

3. Most memorable gig attended (good reasons): Phil Campbell in Cardiff. I just acted like a 20 year old...

4. Most memorable gig attended (bad reasons): Went to an open mike. Started OK, but half way through it was apparent that it was pretty much identikit performances... (Pachelbel Medley anyone?)

But main thing from 2019, has been getting into playing bass seriously again. A covers band that should be going gigging in the new year, all experienced musicians and hoping to be really good. Plus teamed up with a local singer/songwriter who I'll be doing a first gig with in January, which will probably involve jamming some songs I've never played before...

• Like 1