Why become a member? ×

Yet Another New Shuker

MikeB

Fed up with lack of L/H basses available so having pored over Jon's website for a few weeks I finally paid him a visit last week and took the plunge. He has a natural swamp ash Jazz in stock (right handed) which looks (and sounds) absolutely fantastic and I have ordered a L/H version with a couple of modifications. Full spec is:

4 string J bass

swamp ash body, rear routed for controls, the more modern shape, carved heel etc,.
polyester basecoat
wet look gloss topcoat

maple neck
birdseye maple board
black block markers
carbon fibre reinforcement
two way truss rod
bone nut
21 frets
medium frets
red Leds

gotoh tuners
Gotoh bridge
black scratchplate

Fat Jazz pickups
vol / balance / tone booster / tone(push pull for switching LEDs)
neutrik locking jack

Has promised me some pics as the build develops so will post when I get them. I can't wait to get my hands on what I'm sure will be an awesome bass.

[quote name='Tinman' post='39898' date='Aug 1 2007, 10:52 AM']Nice one! I's all happening for Jon at the minute.

BTW Did he happen to talk about if or when he's moving out of the place he's in at the minute?[/quote]
He didn't mention anything about moving

[quote name='MikeB' post='40091' date='Aug 1 2007, 05:14 PM']He didn't mention anything about moving[/quote]

When I spoke to him a little while ago, he was talking about moving to a place in Derbyshire which is nearer home for him.
He's fed up with the break-in attempts, floods and the drive he has to do to get there.

[quote name='Mike' post='40100' date='Aug 1 2007, 05:33 PM']Sounds like it's going to be great. Natural finish?[/quote]
Yes, natural. If you look at Jon's website and click on "Stock" it's virtually the same as the first one shown (but L/H)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Bassman7' post='75330' date='Oct 16 2007, 11:24 PM']You sure you guys aren't reps for Shuker?

Ed Straker's caption for photo:

"Hey guys looks like another Shuker under here!"[/quote]

"Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spot - light.. "

[quote name='Buzz' post='75283' date='Oct 16 2007, 09:57 PM']Looks nice, and by the specs, simple but effective.[/quote]
Exactly right - simple (a bit like me!).

I'm not a great fan of fancy, elaborate instruments. To be honest, my dream bass has always been a mid 70's natural finish jazz, but being a lefty my chances of finding one (particularly at a sensible price) are pretty slim. That's one of the main reasons I chose the custom route. Read lots of good things about Jon's work on here, went to visit him and fell in love with a R/H natural jazz he's got in stock. My spec is almost the same as that, just all the other way round.

I'll be picking up next week (apologies to several of you who are tantalisingly close to completion) and will let you know what it's like.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally picked the beast up a few days ago (pics to follow). It is absolutelybeautiful and the best investment I have ever made! All of you who have moaned about Jon's "customer service" / poor response to e-mails / etc - as soon as you lay your hands on the bass all of that pales into insignificance.

But crucially - not only does it look good, it sounds AWESOME. Took it to band rehearsal last night and all the band (yes, even guitarists) commented on how good it sounded, and I normally use an American P Bass so they're not comparing it to rubbish!

All of you out there thinking about taking the plunge and considering a Shuker bass - go for it. You won't be disappointed.

[quote name='eude' post='81497' date='Oct 30 2007, 10:12 PM']Congrats dude,
can't wait to see the pics...

Can you tell me a bit more about the "tone booster" knob?

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Eude, the booster is made by Villex and boosts mid range frequencies by 3, 5 or 7db. This is the web address.

[url="http://eu.villex.com/internal_booster.html"]http://eu.villex.com/internal_booster.html[/url]

Apologies for the rubbish photography but here are some pics. They really don't do justice to what is a beautiful bass, and pictures can't describe the great sound!

[quote name='MikeB' post='82396' date='Nov 1 2007, 05:37 PM']Eude, the booster is made by Villex and boosts mid range frequencies by 3, 5 or 7db. This is the web address.

[url="http://eu.villex.com/internal_booster.html"][url="http://eu.villex.com/internal_booster.html"]http://eu.villex.com/internal_booster.html[/url][/url]

Apologies for the rubbish photography but here are some pics. They really don't do justice to what is a beautiful bass, and pictures can't describe the great sound![/quote]

Hi Mike,
congratulations!
Another fine Shuker enters the fold.
You must be well chuffed!

Thanks for the info on the Villex Tonebooster too...

Cheers,
Eude